Creamy Broccoli Soup Without the Cream is made quickly in one pot and gets to the table in minutes! This Creamy Broccoli Soup happens to be one of my favorite soups, especially during the winter months. Colds and flu season is here and what better way to help fight these viruses, but with a healthy soup like this Creamy Broccoli Soup!
Creamy Broccoli Soup – without the Cream can be a versatile soup, in the sense that you can either make it very creamy at you like, or leave it colorful with chunks of broccoli in it.
Light, delicious and satisfying, this Creamy Broccoli Soup makes a perfect starter to any meal!
Most creamy soups have tons of heavy cream in them, but this one does not!
So don’t be fooled – just because it says creamy, doesn’t mean is has cream in it. In fact, this soup has no heavy cream at all. I only added a little milk to lighten the color, but you can omit that if you prefer.
Broccoli nowadays, is considered to be one of the ‘power foods’ among the vegetable group. I try to incorporate this healthy vegetable in our meals as much as possible. A healthy vegetable like fresh broccoli cooked in a simple and delicious soup like this one – is the way to go!
Creamy Broccoli Soup is truly good for you. It provides a whole day of vitamin C, even in just a cup! You can serve it as a first course for lunch or dinner. Best of all, it takes under 30 minutes to make and serve!
Creamy Broccoli Soup - Without the Cream !
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Soup / Starter
Cream of Broccoli Soup is light, delicious with a velvety texture! Makes a great starter to any meal.
- 1 bunch of Broccoli
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 2 stalks of celery- chopped
- 1 garlic clove- sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 + ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tbsp. basil chopped
- 1 cup water ( if needed )
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Optional - 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped for garnish.
- Peel the stalks of the broccoli, and cut them into ½ inch lengths. Break the tops into small florets. Rinse and wash the broccoli. In a medium pot, bring 1 cup of water to boil , add the broccoli, cover and steam for 3 minutes.
- In another large sauce pot, cook the onion, celery, and garlic in the butter and oil over moderately low heat, for about 4 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add the broth and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs, and the steamed broccoli. Heat the soup for about 6 minutes. Add the milk. Cook the soup until its heated through. Taste for salt & pepper. Transfer soup to a blender, food processor, or use a hand held immersion blender, which I like to use, and simply puree into a creamy texture and serve!
- If the soup is too thick for your liking, just add some more water.
- Optional: garnish with a spoonful of chopped tomato, and you may add some grated Parmigiano cheese on top.
- Serves 6