Creamy Broccoli Soup – Without the Cream is one of my favorite soups. I love making this soup during the winter months. It’s a versatile soup, in the sense that you can either make it very creamy or leave it colorful with chunks of broccoli in it. Light and delicious, Creamy Broccoli Soup makes a perfect starter to any meal!
And don’t be fooled – just because it says creamy, doesn’t mean is has cream in it. In fact, this soup has no cream, just some milk.
Creamy Broccoli Soup is really good for you. It provides a whole day of vitamin C, even in just a cup! You can serve it as a first course for lunch or dinner.
Broccoli is healthy vegetable and this soup is super easy to make.
This one is worth a try!
Creamy Broccoli Soup - Without the Cream !
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Soup / Starter
Cream of Broccoli Soup is light, delicious with a velvety texture! Makes a great starter to any meal.
- 1 bunch of Broccoli
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 2 stalks of celery- chopped
- 1 garlic clove- sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 + ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tbsp. basil chopped
- 1 cup water ( if needed )
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Optional - 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped for garnish.
- Peel the stalks of the broccoli, and cut them into ½ inch lengths. Break the tops into small florets. Rinse and wash the broccoli. In a medium pot, bring 1 cup of water to boil , add the broccoli, cover and steam for 3 minutes.
- In another large sauce pot, cook the onion, celery, and garlic in the butter and oil over moderately low heat, for about 4 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add the broth and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs, and the steamed broccoli. Heat the soup for about 6 minutes. Add the milk. Cook the soup until its heated through. Taste for salt & pepper. Transfer soup to a blender, food processor, or use a hand held immersion blender, which I like to use, and simply puree into a creamy texture and serve!
- If the soup is too thick for your liking, just add some more water.
- Optional: garnish with a spoonful of chopped tomato, and you may add some grated parmigiano cheese on top.
- Serves 6