Apple-Oatmeal Cookies are soft, chewy cookies that are loaded with rolled oats, apples and bittersweet chocolate chips instead of raisins. While the original recipe calls for a lot of sugar and butter, I opted for NO sugar and NO butter. Therefore, I can have two cookies per day, guilt-free!
My parents came down to stay with us for a few weeks. Our sweet Dad, who is a Diabetic type 2, is having a difficult time getting his sugar levels down (not even his meds work). His sugar levels have been very high lately and that frustrates him to say the least. He can’t seem to get it down where it should be, around 100 is ideally, but it’s always up around 150 or more. Yikes!
Every time they come down, basically I take charge cooking for them both. I put Dad on a strict sugar-free diet and insist that he walks at least 30 minutes every day. He LOVES his milk in the mornings, so I decided to switch his milk (which has 12g of sugar) to Almond milk with has 0g of sugar, along with other changes in his diet. And in a few days, I got his sugar level down to 108. A Miracle!
It’s a tough job- but someone gotta do it! But I don’t mind, they are both adorable!
Dad loves these cookies, the bittersweet chocolate chips (which contains less sugar than semi-sweet) adds more than just flavor, they add some antioxidants in there as well. They turned out really good! Better than I imagined. I enjoy having 2 cookies with my coffee, and best of all, Dad does too!
Baking tip: Check cookies while baking to make sure they are not getting overdone on the bottoms, especially if using a dark colored baking sheet. Dark cookie sheets absorb more heat and tend to burn cookies before baking is complete.
- 1+1/2 cups quick rolled oats ( I used Quacker Oats)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1+1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped apple ( Fuji, Delicious, or Granny Smith)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
- ⅓ cup Almond milk
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips ( I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add and stir in the apples, egg, honey, oil and milk. Mix to form a smooth batter.
- Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips until well combined.
- Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove and transfer to a cooking rack.
- yields: 3 dozen
Thanks for stopping by!