Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake is loaded with apples and cinnamon deliciousness! It’s quickly made with all the staple ingredients we adore such as butter, milk, vanilla extract, eggs and flour and topped with sliced apples and a simple mixture of cinnamon, sugar and warm spices. Then baked until the cake is done! A simple yet delicious coffee cake you can easily whip up and is ready in less than an hour!
We love apples in this house, especially Granny Smith Apples!
My daughter Lizzy has been eating granny smith apples since she was diagnosed with Asthma as a young child. Any time she has a cold or suffers from an asthma attack, she always feels better from eating a granny smith apple. We like to consider these apples as a natural treatment towards her asthma.
Granny Smith Apples are proven to help people with Asthma and everyone can benefit their lungs from them! You know what they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away!! In fact, asthma and bronchitis or persistent coughs can be helped by eating apples.
Apples are extremely rich in important antioxidants, flavanoids, and dietary fiber. They have shown tremendous anti-inflammatory behavior and in terms of asthma, they have stood out among other natural treatments, even superseding the benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables in combination.
The apple diet is not a ‘stand-alone’ treatment, but it is well worth eating an apple a day if you have a bout with asthma or with coughing.
And all that said, we keep tons of apples in this house.
Cook’s Notes for Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake:
I decided to use granny smith apples in this cake. Granny smiths are usually tart but they turn sweet when they are baked, and the outcome flavor in this cake was nothing short from tasting GREAT! I believe other apples will do just fine too.
I used one bowl to whip up the batter; and it took 5 minutes. The batter will be thick. Transfer batter into a 9-inch pie dish (that was greased with butter). Next, sliced 2 apples into thin wedges and arrange them on top in a circular design, then sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and let it bake for 45 minutes.
It was that easy! Also, Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake is sliced directly from the pie dish and it will keep fresh on the counter (covered with clear wrap) up to 2 days.
Best of all, while it’s baking in the oven it sends off a wonderful cinnamon scent throughout the house. Mmmm! 🙂
A perfect morning or afternoon treat with your favorite coffee or tea! Enjoy!!
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. softened butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 + ½ cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 medium apples - peeled, cored, cut into thin wedges ( I used Granny Smith's)
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted melted butter
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Grease generously and flour a round 9-inch baking dish including the rim.
- Combine sugars, spices and salt in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of melted butter and stir with a fork until mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- Beat sugar with softened butter until well incorporated in a medium bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat on medium speed.
- Blend in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, and beat until well blended. Mixture will be thick.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured round cake pan and spread evenly with the back of the spatula.
- Arrange apple wedges on top of the batter, starting with the center and placing them in a circular design covering the entire surface. Sprinkle or crumble ½ cup of cinnamon-sugar mixture on top. Reserve the remaining cinnamon sugar in a container or zip lock bag and use it for additional recipes.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until sugar is browned and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. The cake will inflate like a souffle and then it will deflate as it cools down. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serves 8
The cinnamon-sugar mixture makes plenty for another dessert. I used only ½ cup for the topping, but if you prefer - you can use more.
In addition: If No one is allergic to nuts, you may add some chopped pecans or walnuts on top of the cinnamon-sugar mixture for some added crunch.
More Apple recipes from 2SR Archives!
Go Ahead and PIN it to your board later!! And thanks for stopping by!