Creamy Potato and Zucchini Au Gratin ~ is a creamy version and a twist on our Mom’s recipe for her roasted potatoes and zucchini side dish. Since everyone loves potatoes, I wanted to turn her recipe into a creamy version, making this the ultimate creamy potatoes and zucchini au gratin super easy! The best part is, I cut the time in half than most recipes out there!
This recipe was posted a few years ago and I wanted to revive this one since it’s one of our all time favorite! I even updated the photos as well. I don’t know about you, but if you have an abundance of zucchini in your garden, I thought this would be a great way to use up some of that zucchini with this recipe
Creamy potato and zucchini au gratin is so fast and easy all you need is potatoes, zucchini, some cream, parmigiano cheese and fresh herbs. Then bake it to perfection! This a delicious side dish that pairs very nicely with any meat or fish entrée!
When I get home, I have about an hour (if I’m lucky) to get dinner on the table. So instead of layering the potatoes and zucchini, I just mix all the ingredients together and pour it into the baking dish. Nothing fancy, but it works very well and you get the same creamy and tender texture results!
Also, to cut the time in half, I recommend to use a handheld mandolin slicer for slicing the potatoes and zucchini. It’s faster, easier and it rinses off clean in seconds.
Here’s a Tip: I buy fresh herbs and after a few days, I put them into a zip lock bag and place them into the freezer. This allows me to have fresh herbs anytime I need them. They last in your freezer for about 1 month.
The ingredients and full instructions are listed in our “new recipe card” below and you can easily print this recipe without the photos.
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Slice the potatoes and zucchini thinly.
In a large mixing bowl, using your hands or large spoons, mix together all the rest of the ingredients until well coated.
Spray lightly with cooking oil in a 13″x 9″x 3″ or 8″ x 12″ deep baking dish. Pour the entire mixture into baking dish. Flatten the mixture with the back of a spoon.
Sprinkle on top 2 tablespoons of parmigiana cheese and 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and bubbly.
- 5 Idaho Potatoes - peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 medium Zucchini - rinsed, thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp.grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. organic garlic powder
- 5 fresh sprigs of Thyme
- 1 fresh sprig of Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. plain bread crumbs or GF bread crumbs
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of plain bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons of grated parmigiano cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the rest of the ingredients until well coated.
- Spray lightly with cooking oil in a 13"x 9"x 3" deep baking dish.
- Pour the entire mixture into baking dish. Flatten the mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle on top 2 tablespoons of parmigiana cheese and 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Serves: 6 to 8