Creamy Potato and Zucchini Au Gratin ~ is made with sliced potatoes, sliced zucchini and cream, then baked to create an Italian Style Au Gratin! This is a creamy version for a gratin and a twist on our Mom’s recipe for her roasted potatoes and zucchini side dish. Since everyone loves potatoes, I wanted to turn her recipe into a creamy version, making this the ultimate creamy potatoes and zucchini au gratin super easy! The best part is, I cut the time in half than most recipes out there!
This recipe was posted a few years ago and I wanted to revive this one since it’s one of our all time favorite! I even updated the photos as well. I don’t know about you, but if you have an abundance of zucchini in your garden, I thought this would be a great way to use up some of that zucchini with this recipe.
Creamy Potato and Zucchini Au Gratin is quick and super easy to make. All you need is potatoes, zucchini, some cream, parmigiana cheese and fresh herbs. Then bake it to perfection! This Italian style gratin makes a delicious side dish that pairs very nicely with any meat or fish entree!
When I get home, I have about an hour (if I’m lucky) to get dinner on the table. So instead of layering the potatoes and zucchini, I just mix all the ingredients together and pour it into the baking dish. Nothing fancy, but it works very well and you get the same creamy and tender texture results!
Also, to cut the time in half, I recommend to use a handheld mandolin slicer for slicing the potatoes and zucchini. It’s faster, easier and it rinses off clean in seconds.
Here’s a Tip: I buy fresh herbs and after a few days, I put them into a zip lock bag and place them into the freezer. This allows me to have fresh herbs anytime I need them. They last in your freezer for about 1 month.
You can follow along for the step-by-step on the recipe or just jump down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe card.
5 Idaho Potatoes – peeled, thinly sliced
2 medium Zucchini – rinsed, thinly sliced
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp.grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
2 garlic cloves – thinly sliced
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. organic garlic powder
5 fresh sprigs of Thyme
1 fresh sprig of Rosemary
2 Tbsp. plain bread crumbs or GF bread crumbs
organic olive oil cooking spray
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Slice the potatoes and zucchini thinly.
In a large mixing bowl, using your hands or large spoons, mix together all the rest of the ingredients until well coated.
Spray lightly with cooking oil in a 13″x 9″x 3″ or 8″ x 12″ deep baking dish. Pour the entire mixture into baking dish. Flatten the mixture with the back of a spoon.
Sprinkle on top 2 tablespoons of parmigiana cheese and 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and bubbly.
Remove from oven and allow the casserole to settle and sit for 10 minutes before serving. Then slice into desired portions and serve!
Try this recipe and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
- 5 Idaho Potatoes - peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 medium Zucchini - rinsed, thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp.grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. organic garlic powder
- 5 fresh sprigs of Thyme
- 1 fresh sprig of Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. plain bread crumbs or GF bread crumbs
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of plain bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons of grated parmigiano cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the rest of the ingredients until well coated.
- Spray lightly with cooking oil in a 13"x 9"x 3" deep baking dish.
- Pour the entire mixture into baking dish. Flatten the mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle on top 2 tablespoons of parmigiana cheese and 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Serves: 6 to 8