Crunchy Broccoli, Raisins and Walnut Salad ~ is one refreshing and colorful salad you’ll want to put on your list of salads this summer. This is the salad you’ll want to make over and over again because it’s loaded with fresh vegetables as it offers a superb flavor and a nice crunch with every bite.
I decided to revive this salad from our archives again since it’s become our all time favorite. This salad is simply tossed with fresh chopped broccoli, fresh chopped cabbage, raisins, dried cranberries and walnuts with a sweet, Dijon vinaigrette. Then topped with crispy bacon just before it’s served. It was so amazing, we all couldn’t stop eating it
This fresh crunchy broccoli salad happens to be my take on a salad that I would often buy at our local deli. The gentleman behind the counter was rude and reluctant to giving up his secret dressing (he reminded me of a bull dog). Regardless, I tried to duplicate his salad, and with only a few attempts, I was able to come pretty close to the taste of that wonderful tasting dressing.
This salad will make a great choice to bring to any BBQ or any friends gathering this summer because it’s one that will definitely not wilt nor get soggy; in fact, it will remain fresh and crispy up to 3 days.
Crunchy Broccoli, Raisins and Walnut Salad
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. table salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 small head white cabbage-thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup organic dried cranberries
- 5 slices of bacon
1. Clean and rinse broccoli. Cut broccoli florets from stems, and separate florets into small bite-size pieces. Peel away tough outer layer of stems. Finely chop stems.
2. Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, mustard, both vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add broccoli, cabbage, raisins, cranberries, red onion and walnuts; stir to coat.
3. Cover and chill for two hours.
4. In the meantime, cover a paper plate with a paper towel and place bacon on the plate, then place another paper towel on top to cover the bacon. Cook bacon in the microwave for 4.5 minutes.
5. Remove and crumble the bacon into small pieces. Set aside. When ready to serve, toss in the bacon pieces, reserve a few pieces to garnish on top. Serve.
Yields: 8 servings
***** ***** *****
Hello Friends! Hope you all had a lovely Easter this past weekend. The weather is beautiful here in Charleston and we are having a great time with a house full of guests these past few weeks. We will be back with more recipes next week. In the meantime, have a great weekend!