EASY Artichoke Gratin ~ frozen artichoke hearts sauteed on stove top with garlic, onions, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, creates a tasty side dish that’s ready in 15 minutes! And it will compliment any favorite entree too! If you always wanted to make a side dish of artichokes, but thought it was too much work, then this recipe is for you! It’s super easy to make and requires only a few ingredients; and it always turns out great!
No need for any creams for this Artichoke Gratin, just a simple gratin made on stove top and it’s ready to serve in 15 minutes.
My family adores artichokes, and I make them almost every week. But usually I’m short for time, so I prefer to use frozen artichoke hearts and I use them often.
Frozen artichoke hearts are already cleaned and cut to size, making them perfect to use for most recipes. You can always find them (in boxes or bags) in the freezer section at every supermarket. I usually buy a ton of them – especially if on sale and keep them in my freezer.
EASY Artichoke Gratin can also be prepared ahead of time and reheated before its served. Delicious and full of flavor, it even resembles our Garlic Stuffed Artichokes recipe which we love dearly, but without all the work.
With Thanksgiving around the corner, I wanted to try a new side dish, and this one will definitely be on my list for the holidays.
If you prefer to use fresh artichoke hearts instead of frozen ones, then take a look at our step-by-step tutorial on “How to Clean Artichokes.” It’s an old post but the tutorial is still very good!
Keep in mind when using fresh artichokes, you will need more cooking time, about 25 minutes or more until tender.
In the meantime, ENJOY this recipe!!
Do you love artichokes as much as we do? Then here are more recipes for you to try!
- 2 (9-ounce) boxes of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium size onion - chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - chopped
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ¼ grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- fresh chopped parsley
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil and butter on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute them for a few minutes until they are translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the artichoke hearts and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Add in the crushed red pepper flakes.
- Saute the artichoke hearts for a few minutes until they are golden brown and tender to the bite, occasionally stirring, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Scatter on top with breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, pinch of garlic powder and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cover with a lid. And lower the heat to simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes more, until the bread crumbs soften.
- Turn off heat. Taste one artichoke heart, and adjust the seasonings (if you need to) with salt and pepper and some garlic powder.
- Toss fresh chopped parsley on top. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
Please PIN to your favorite Boards and SHARE! Thanks again!
Follow us on social media! …on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
Have a great day! … and thanks for stopping by!