Mozzarella in Carrozza ~ is a classic cheese sandwich made with a slice of mozzarella between 2 slices of bread, dipped into flour and egg and quickly fried. Oh boy this is one delicious cheese sandwich that got its star debut in Naples, Italy from using day old bread and transforming it (with a slice of mozzarella) into a golden brown crispy sandwich.
Growing up, our mom made these mozzarella in carrozzas often, it was our Italian version of grilled cheese sandwiches.
It’s not often we get to make these, but when we do it’s a real treat in our house. I was craving them the other day, and decided to only make one sandwich and cut it into 4 mini cheese sandwiches just like mom used to do.
Fried crispy bread on the outside with gooey-melted mozzarella on the inside, it’s so tasty and so delicious with every bite! Once you try them, you’ll wonder why you didn’t know about it sooner.
Mozzarella in carrozza brings back wonderful memories for us. My husband and I can remember traveling many times through Naples and seeing mozzarella e carrozza on every menu. It is still a staple appetizer dish in many restaurants today.
In carrozza means “in the carriage.” Back in the day in Italy, they would serve mozzarella in carrozza in paper baskets that looked like a little baby carriage and the name stuck!
This happens to be one of those Italian ideas born in Naples from the simplest ingredients but have a huge impact on flavor with every bite. So yummy, they are addictingly good!
I know everyone will enjoy these simple cheese sandwiches whether you make them mini sizes or larger – half size portions. From kids to adults, when frying these mini mozzarella sandwiches in the kitchen, the delicious aroma will fill your home.
Mozzarella in Carrozza
- 2 slices of white bread, or Gluten-Free white bread
- 1 package of mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. of half and half or milk
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- olive oil, for frying
1. Grab a small bowl and beat 1 egg, add 1 tablespoon of half and half (or milk) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside. In a second small bowl add the flour.
2. Cut the bread into quarters. Slice 4 pieces of the mozzarella (about 1/4-inch thick) and place each slice into each quarter of the bread.
3. In a small frying pan, add about 1/4-inch olive oil. Preheat on medium-low heat.
4. When oil is hot, dip each mini sandwich into the flour and dredge all sides. Then dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, coating all sides. Add it to the hot oil and lightly fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per side, turning them over once, or until the mozzarella is melted. Drain on paper towels. Optional: Sprinkle with some fresh cracked pepper on top. Serve warm.
Yields: 4 mini mozzarella in carrozza
Cooks notes: You if plan to double the recipe, you will need to add one egg for every 2 slices of bread. Plus, you can make them into normal size sandwiches and cut them in half. The mini sizes are wonderful to serve as a quick appetizer while the family is waiting for dinner. And, they reheat in the oven, perfectly.
**** **** **** **** ****