We gave this roast its full flavor by adding prosciutto, onions and seasonings. But the secret to making a perfect roast is keeping water at the bottom of the pan while roasting in the oven. We highly recommend using a roasting rack with this recipe. This helps keep the roast super moist while cooking. It’s also the reason why it’s so tender.
And, don’t forget the wine! Definitely a red! …we prefer to pair it with a Chianti.
Enjoy this fantastic feast!
- 6 pounds of Filet Mignon Roast
- 3 whole onions -sliced
- 7 to 10 slices of Prosciutto di Parma
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper or fresh cracked pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large roasting pan with a roasting rack that fits most roasting pans, lay the slices of the prosciutto on the bottom of rack horizontally, overlapping slices. Place the Filet Mignon roast on top of prosciutto. Season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic powder generously.
4. Pour about 4 cups of water in the bottom of roasting pan, (under the roasting rack) just below the meat but not touching. Drizzle olive oil over meat.
5. Cook for 20 minutes per pound, about 2 hours. Rotate the roast every half hour.
Remove from rack, and place onto cutting board, allow the roast to sit for 5 to 7 minutes before carving.
6. Carve into 1-inch slices. Remove the string, and transfer slices onto a serving platter.
Serves 6 to 8