Tagliatelle Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sausage Ragu ~ is a delicious dish to serve on any weeknight.
Sweet Italian sausage links, olive oil, garlic, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, white wine and fresh basil is all you need to make this simple sausage ragu taste delicious and make it in less than 15 minutes! Then the tagliatelle pasta is tossed with this delicious sausage ragu, fresh cherry tomatoes, some chopped onions and topped with grated Parmesan cheese. Light and tasty, it’s so yummy!
Fresh ingredients make this dish so fresh tasting and amazingly light. This meal is not only satisfying, but it’s one of those “all-in-one dish” containing carbs, protein and fresh vegetables. It makes preparing dinner and clean up easier.
To make a quick sausage ragu, you will only need two sausage links or a package of ground sausage. I prefer using Italian sweet sausages because they are mild in flavor. While browning the sausage, I added in some crushed red pepper to give it some heat.
But if you prefer more heat, you can add in more crushed red pepper to satisfy a more spicy taste to the sausage ragu. Then add fresh basil, wine and tomato paste or some fresh marinara sauce, if you have some already in the fridge.
Most recipes for sausage ragu calls for cooking the meat in a tomato sauce for a long period of time.
Traditionally in our home, any meat ragu is served on Sundays. But this one is different. It’s a lighter ragu sauce and serving it with Tagliatelle Pasta is perfect simply because tagliatelle noodles are made with semolina flour and eggs, creating a very light weight pasta. Similar to egg noodles, when tagliatelle is boiled, it has a lighter texture and tastes like it’s homemade pasta.
All these wonderful and fresh ingredients makes this pasta dish very light and fresh tasting.
Sometimes it’s great to have a light dish for dinner on those weeknights when your’re not in the mood for too much meat or fuss over the stove for along period of time.
This sausage ragu is a lighter version, requiring less time to cook, and tastes amazingly fresh! Literally, about the same time it takes to boil water and cook the pasta is the amount of time to prepare the sausage ragu. It’s that quick!
And, let’s not forget to add some freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top to complete this delicious meal.
Enjoy and have a great weekend!
Just in case, here’s a link:
- Tagliatelle pasta, any Italian brand
- 12 ounce Tagliatelle pasta, any Italian brand
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil - divided
- 4 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 pound ground Italian sweet sausage (about 4 links, casings removed)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste or ¼ cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes - halved
- ¼ cup red onion- thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- bunch freshly chopped basil leaves- divided
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- optional: 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden color, about 1 minute. Add the ground sausage and crushed red pepper flakes and cook until browned, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add lots of fresh basil (reserve some basil to garnish) stirring for 1 minute. Then add in the tomato paste and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring. Next, pour in the wine and simmer until it evaporates, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Cook tagliatelle pasta until it's al-dente, or according to the package directions, but it's best to cook the pasta 1 minute less than it states on the package. Reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Transfer the sausage ragu to the pot with the tagliatelle pasta and toss in the cherry tomatoes and red onion, and drizzle in 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Optional: you can add in 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, this will give is a zing more freshness flavor to this dish. If the pasta seems a little dry, pour in some of the reserved water. Toss all together until well combined. Serve with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and more fresh basil on top.
- Serves 4