Black Bean and Rice Soup is made with black beans, celery, onions, vegetable stock and steamed rice. Simple, flavorful and very filling! Plus, it’s a convenient and inexpensive meal when you need one. Just a few basic ingredients needed to make this into a fabulous meal!
Black Bean and Rice Soup is a hearty soup, and one that offers a rich and thick texture leaving you to think it’s a stew. But don’t be fooled. It’s easily prepared as a soup. Mostly nutritious and delicious, you’ll be amazed at how fast you can make this and have dinner ready in minutes!
Black beans have plenty of protein and fiber, leaving you full longer, while the rice adds a velvety texture to it. Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates which gives us the energy we need.
The healthier choice would be the brown rice, but I prefer using white rice with my soups.
Black Bean and Rice Soup is so filling, I didn’t need to make anything else. It’s a meal all alone; and it’s perfect for those meatless Mondays.
I used organic black beans and simmered the soup with a few ingredients for about 20 minutes. And, while I was simmering the soup, I also steamed one cup of white rice, adding it to the soup at the very last minute.
Very easy to make. No need to use a pressure cooker or crock pot with this recipe. As a quick meal it will surely become every ones favorite, especially my vegetarian friends.
Always a good idea to have a few cans of organic black beans and rice in your pantry. You never know when you may run out of food. And, that usually happens in my home, by the end of the week.
A great recipe for you to try. We like to call this one – a bowl of health!
Thanks for Pinning!
Looking for more Bean Soups? Try some of these!
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you try this recipe, let us know and leave a comment! Snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram #2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest if you like. We’d love to see how what you cook! Also, You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks for stopping by!
Anna and Liz
Black Bean and Rice Soup
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 6 to 8
Black Bean and Rice Soup is made with black beans, celery, onions, vegetable stock and steamed rice. Simple, flavorful and very filling! Plus, it's a convenient and inexpensive meal when you need one. Perfect for meatless meals!
- 2 cans (15 ounce) organic black beans- rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion - peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks- chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup steamed rice
- grated Parmesan cheese, at table
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and add the onion and celery and sauté until the onions and celery become soften and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the stock, water, salt, cayenne pepper and black beans.
- Bring soup to a low boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the rice and follow the directions of the package to steam the rice.
- Finally, add the cooked rice into the bean soup and stir until well combined for about 2 minutes, or until heated through. Turn off the heat.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some grated parmigiano cheese on top. Serve warm.
- Serves 6 to 8