Bowl of Beef and Red Bean Chili is lean ground beef sautéed with onions and garlic, then simmered with red kidney beans, tomato paste, broth and spices until it thickens to a nutritious and tasty dish that has become one of our favorite chili. Amazingly, it’s easy to make and very tasty!
We have to tell you a little secret, growing up in our Italian family, we never – ever had chili nor ever made it before. EVER !
But, because we have a lot of boys and men in our large family that LOVE watching football, “chili” has become a part of that whole football thing, along with chicken wings, and beer.
So, with football games to watch every week, we wanted to improvise one night on making a chili with some input from our boys. And, since we had red kidney beans on hand, we decided to put them to good use in our chili!
We bought the very leanest ground beef you can find, which helps cut some of the fat out. Sauteed the onions and garlic for a few minutes (no wine in this one, but maybe in the next chili we will). Then we added in red beans and a few spices along with some beef broth and tomato paste.
All the common ingredients added to this chili definitely pumped up the flavor and texture in this hearty dish. As a result, it turned out really good.
I was glad to see the boys chopping down the chili. They gave us a thumbs up! You only need to serve it with your favorite tortilla chips, or maybe some crusty bread and a green salad as a side; and you’ll have a complete meal!
The boys loved it! We hope you will too!
Bowl of Beef and Red Bean Chili
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Appetizer / Game Grub
Serves: 6 to 8
Bowl of Beef and Red Bean Chili is lean ground beef sautéed with onions and garlic, then simmered with red kidney beans, tomato paste, broth and spices until it thickens to a nutritious and tasty dish that has become one of our favorite chili. Amazingly, it's easy to make and very tasty!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef ( 90% lean)
- 4 garlic cloves -sliced
- 1+ ½ cups beef stock
- 1+ ½ cups water
- 1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounce) red kidney beans- rinsed
- 1+ ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and garlic slices. Saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until onion becomes translucent.
- Add chop meat and lower the heat to low. Cook the chop meat until it browns, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, water, beef stock and seasonings. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for about 35 to 45 minutes, until sauce thickens. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove and serve. Garnish with some fresh chopped onions on top.
- Serves 6 to 8