Mom’s Best Zucchini Omelet. If you are an omelet lover, then you’ll love our Mom’s Best Zucchini Omelet. When you combine caramelized onions and zucchini with eggs and grated cheese into this zucchini omelet you get a healthy meal that is very light and delicious tasting! Nothing fancy, and no fuss at all, just a simple, tasty dish and one you’ll enjoy the ease of making all year long!
Growing up, eggs wasn’t just for breakfast in our house. In fact, making omelets (also known as a frittata) was at least once every week. Our mom always made omelets for dinner often.
She even had a genius way of turning leftovers into a meal the next day with just a few eggs and some grated cheese, creating something new, and it was always in an omelet. So eggs were always a staple in our house.
This recipe for our mom’s best zucchini omelet is made fresh! Loaded with zucchini, onions and cheese, mom’s best zucchini omelet is comforting and decadent with its light and moist texture, it literally melts in your mouth with every bite.
For this recipe, the onions are first sauteed and simmmered with chopped zucchini until they are fully softened and caramelized. Then the zucchini mixture is blended with eggs, grated parmesan and pecorino cheeses and poured into the skillet, and simmered on low heat until the omelette is firm on the bottom.
Once the bottom of the omelet has turned golden brown and is firm, then it is time to flip it over to the other side to finish cooking for a few minutes more. Slice the finished omelet and serve!
Cook’s Tip: When omelette is ready to flip over? Place a dinner plate, same size as skillet or one that will fit inside and place it over the omelette (as shown in the photo) then place your hand onto the plate to hold it down, while you lift the skillet and flip the omelette onto the plate. Then slide the omelette back into the skillet to finish cooking.
Omelets (aka omelettes) are so versatile, you can make your own variations, adding different vegetables and cheeses. Make them thin or make them thick, will depend on the size of the skillet you use.
Either way, omelettes work so well especially when you need a quick meal or an extra side dish.
Mom’s Best Zucchini Omelet is perfect to serve for lunch, brunch and sometimes as part of a light dinner, especially when you want a meatless meal.
If you want an easy and decadent dish, trust me, mom’s zucchini omelet is the dish!
When was the last time you had a tasty omelette? Tell us, we’d love to hear about it!
Ok, now is the time to pin it, or save, print, tag, or even bookmark this recipe! Whatever you prefer!
… and thanks for Pinning!
Are you cooking with us? If you try this recipe, let us know and leave a comment! Snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest.
It makes us happy to see what you cook!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes FREE everytime we post! Also, you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
Mom's Best Zucchini Omelet
Recipe type: Breakfast / Brunch / Dinner
Serves: 2 to 3
When you combine caramelized onions and zucchini with eggs and grated cheeses into this zucchini omelet you get a healthy meal that is very light and delicious tasting! Nothing fancy, and no fuss at all, just a dish that is simple, easy and decadent!
- 2 medium zucchini- chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 2 garlic cloves - sliced
- 1 large onion- chopped
- ¼ tsp. dried parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 Tbsp. grated pecorino cheese
- 1 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- In a large or medium size non-stick skillet, and on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic and chopped onions. Saute for about 2 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Add chopped zucchini and saute zucchini for a few minutes until the zucchini is cooked and softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly scramble 3 eggs in a mixing bowl. Transfer the zucchini into the eggs, add the grated cheeses and stir until well combined.
- Using the same skillet (and no need to clean it), heat on medium heat, and add the additional tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, gently pour in the egg and zucchini mixture and lower the heat to low. Gently shake the skillet to make sure the omelet isn't sticking to the bottom. Simmer on lowest heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or more if needed (it's a thicker omelet).
- Use a spatula and gently lift one side of the omelet to see if the eggs are golden brown, and not burning. When the eggs on the bottom are cooked (not loose or running).
- Then use a small plate, one that is about the same size of skillet and turn it over and on top of the omelet, the hold your hand on top of the plate and carefully flip over the omelet onto the plate. Then slide the omelet back into the skillet to finish cooking, additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and cut into pieces and serve.
- Yields: 2 to 3 servings