Baked Hash Brown Egg Nests are loaded with hash browns, carrots, and cheese, and baked with an egg in the center. Shredded carrots and hash browns are combined with a blend of cheeses to create little bird’s nests, and baked with an egg in the center. Delicious tasting and ideally for an easy breakfast.
An Easy Breakfast to Whip Up…
- These tasty vegetable-filled egg nests are not fancy, but a delish recipe!
- Perfect to make and serve any weekend breakfast, or brunch.
- Ready in under 30 minutes, and make for easy cleanup too!
A few years ago, I saw this idea on one of the cooking shows, and always wanted to create these baked hash brown egg nests for breakfast, and for my family.
Well, the first time I made them, they did not have enough vegetables and seasonings.
So I made another batch, tossing in some seasonings with a blend of cheeses, and even increased the veggies.
The result? FABULOUS!
So flavorful and super easy to make.
The best part? These are BAKED – not fried! 😉
They’re festive enough to serve at a brunch and perfect for a holiday breakfast. I bet the entire family will enjoy them too.
Ingredients Needed for Baked Hash Brown Egg Nests:
- Cooking spray: extra virgin olive oil cooking spray for the muffin pan.
- Vegetables: frozen shredded hash browns, and a package of shredded carrots.
- Dairy: grated parmesan cheese, grated pecorino romano cheese, and eggs.
- Oil: some extra virgin olive oil.
- Muffin pan: use a 6 cup muffin pan or a 12 cup muffin baking pan. Either one is fine.
How to Make Baked Hash Brown Egg Nests:
- PREPARE THE OVEN: First, you will need to preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190C). It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to preheat to the correct temperature.
- A MUFFIN PAN: Meanwhile, you can spray the inside of 6 cups of a muffin pan. This recipe is for 6 hash brown egg nests. But you can easily double the ingredients to make 12 egg nests if needed.
- MAKE THE VEGGIE MIXTURE: Next, you will need to combine frozen shredded hash browns with shredded carrots, seasonings, grated cheeses, and olive oil. This should take about 2 minutes, and toss with two spoons, until well combined.
- BAKE THE VEGGIES: Then use your fingers to sprinkle and divide the vegetable mixture into the prepared 6 muffin openings evenly. Bake for about 10 minutes to soften the mixture enough to shape them into little nests before the egg is added.
- READY FOR THE EGGS: Once the vegetables have been baked for a few minutes, then you can easily shape them into little nests. Use a spoon to help press the veggies up the sides. Lastly, crack an egg into each one and bake again for a few minutes more.
NOTES and TIPS…
- Keep in mind, that the vegetables will “shrink” as they bake to soften. So you can fill each muffin cup to the top.
- Plus, I prefer frozen shredded hash brown with NO salt and no seasonings, so I can control how much sodium is in the food.
- If you already have “seasoned” hash browns, then I recommend reducing the salt in my recipe card below.
- Also, if you prefer your egg yolks to be a little runny, then bake them for a few minutes less than the time stated in the recipe card.
- You may increase the portions of the shredded carrots or hash browns to your preference.
- Finally, use a clean knife to slide around the outer edge of each egg nest to loosen and pop them out.
These turned out great! Super easy, and very little to clean up. Everyone loved them.
Soft and moist inside with a little crunch on the bottom and the sides. And, they burst with flavor!
Give this recipe a try.
Can they be made ahead?
You can make these hash brown egg nests in advance and then reheat them in an oven for a few minutes. Or reheat leftover individual ones in the microwave the day after.
Options to create your own…
If you wish, you can create your own egg nests and add in your favorite ingredients:
- shredded cheddar cheese, or your favorite cheese
- chopped bacon
- fresh chopped chives
- minced green onions
Additional recipes for Breakfast…
…and try our recipe for Baked Vegetable Bird’s Nests (no egg!)
- 1 + 3/4 cups frozen shredded hash browns (without seasonings)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 6 eggs
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. grated pecorino romano cheese
- extra virgin olive oil cooking spray
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- First, preheat your oven to bake at 375 degrees F (190C). Then spray 6 cup openings of your muffin pan. Set is nearby.
- Next, in a small mixing bowl, toss together using 2 spoons: hash browns, shredded carrots, grated cheeses, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt.
- Use your fingers to sprinkle the vegetable mixture evenly, and fill only 6 muffin cups.
- When the oven reaches 375, place the pan on the center rack, and BAKE for at least 10 minutes. This will start to cook the veggies and also soften them.
- Remove the pan from the oven and use a spoon to slightly push upward the veggies to create a little basket effect. Then crack one egg at a time and place it into each "nest", return the pan back to the oven and continue to bake the eggs for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, or until the eggs turn white, and are firm or slightly firm ( see my notes on the bottom).
- Remove from the oven, and (optional) top with freshly cracked black pepper, to taste. Next, take a clean knife to run around each egg nest to loosen the sides. Then pop each one out and transfer them to a serving platter and serve.
- yields: 6 baked egg nests
Eggs are baked between 10 to 15 minutes.
If you prefer fully baked eggs, bake until the edges are golden and crispy, and do not wiggle when you shake the pan.
If you prefer your yolks to be runny, then bake between 8 to 10 minutes.
Yield:3 to 6 servings (1 or 2 per person)
Serving Size:1 egg nest
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 13.8gCarbohydrates: 18.3gFiber: 1.9gSugar: 2gProtein: 7.6g
Thanks for Pinning!
If you tried our recipe for Baked Hash Brown Egg Nests, let us know and leave us a comment below. Sharing your insights and experiences helps everyone who reads them, and helps us too! Have fun and take a photo! Then share it on Instagram or on Pinterest and tag or hashtag us. We’d love to share it with the world. 🙂
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get new recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!
Happy and Healthy Baking! 🙂
thanks for stopping by…
xo anna and liz
|Serving size: 1 egg nest|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13.8g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 3.1g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18.3g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||7%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin D 15mcg||77%|