A classic Italian chicken dish, this Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese is made with chicken cutlets coated in olive oil, and breadcrumbs, and stuffed with prosciutto, Swiss cheese, and mozzarella. Then rolled and baked until golden and crispy. Yum!
My family craves their favorite dish. They also love my Chicken Rollatini with Pesto and Grilled Balsamic Chicken Salad, and our Chicken Rollatini with Ham Cheese and Spinach, just to name a few.
So I decided to make this one and revive it from our archives. It is similar to our Crispy Stuffed Chicken Breasts, but these are baked.
For this recipe…
You will need chicken cutlets, bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, dried parsley, extra virgin olive oil, prosciutto, sliced Swiss cheese, (or Muenster cheese), and mozzarella cheese.
Chicken rollatini with prosciutto and cheese gives a nice twist to the plain and simple chicken cutlets; giving them a beautiful texture, color, and flavor.
The prosciutto gives a salty, crispy-smoky flavor to the rollatini, while the melted cheeses create a creamy texture inside that is gooey and delicious!
Crispy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside, it’s no wonder why this chicken rollatini has become everyone’s favorite!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROLLATINI:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218.3 C). Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
2. First, give the cutlets a quick rinse under cold running water, then drain.
3. Lay the chicken cutlets between 2 sheets of wax paper or parchment paper. Using a meat mallet or a large heavy spoon to pat or pound the chicken to tenderize them.
4. In one dish or breading pan, mix the bread crumbs with the grated cheese and parsley. Then pour the olive oil into a second small bowl (or breading pan).
5. Dip each chicken cutlet (one at a time) into the olive oil, coating both sides, and allow to drain the excess oil back into the bowl.
6. Then dip the cutlet into the bread crumb mixture. Lightly pat both sides of the cutlet with the bread crumbs.
7. Arrange the breaded cutlets on a baking sheet. Place one slice or two, of Italian prosciutto on each cutlet, then a slice of Swiss cheese (add 2 slices if they are thin), and top with a piece of mozzarella.
8. Pick up one end of the cutlet and roll it. (NOTE: Here is when you can wrap and place the rollatini’s in the refrigerator if you decide to bake them later in the same day).
9. Place the rollatini onto a baking dish with the seam side down – no need for toothpicks. Lightly drizzle with some of the leftover extra olive oil on top of the rollatini to keep them moist while baking. Or lightly spray on top with olive oil spray to keep them moist.
10. Bake, uncovered for 17 to 22 minutes, until golden brown.
Here’s a Few Great Tips:
This recipe calls for 4 pieces of chicken cutlets. I made a few extra pieces for my large family.
You can double the recipe easily.
If the prosciutto is too thin, add a second slice on top.
Add grated pecorino cheese or parmesan cheese to the bread crumb mixture.
If entertaining, you can prepare these chicken rollatini ahead of time. Just wrap them with plastic wrap and refrigerate them until you are ready to bake them. Then follow the baking instructions in our recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese is quick and simple to make.
Italians made rollatini as a way to stuff many ingredients into various inexpensive cuts of meat. It was a way to enhance their flavors and make them more filling and satisfying.
No need to add salt to this recipe, the prosciutto and cheeses give enough flavor to the cutlets.
You can prep them ahead of time, then bake them while you prepare a salad to round out the meal.
Your family and friends will enjoy this chicken rollatini as much as my family does.
Try this recipe and let us know!
More Delicious Recipes for Chicken… try these:
- Chicken Tenders Smothered in Lemon and Parsley
- 6 Easy Weeknight Chicken Cutlet Dinners
- Chicken Pot Pie Without Pie Crust
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cutlets
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken Salad
- Chicken Rollatini with Pesto and Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 skinless chicken cutlets - thin slices
- One small package of sliced Italian prosciutto
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (or sliced Provolone cheese)
- 1 package of fresh or packaged whole-milk mozzarella
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs, and extra as needed
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano grated cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, and extra
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218.3 C). Spray a medium-size baking pan or baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- First, give the cutlets a quick rinse under cold running water, then drain.
- Lay chicken cutlets between 2 sheets of wax paper or parchment paper and pat the chicken with a large spoon.
- In a dish, mix the bread crumbs with the grated cheese and parsley. In a second dish or bowl, pour the olive oil.
- Next, dip each chicken cutlet (one at a time) coating both sides, and allow to drain the excess oil back into the bowl. Then dip the cutlet into the bread crumb mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Arrange the breaded cutlets on a baking sheet. Place a slice of Italian prosciutto on each cutlet, then a slice of Swiss cheese (add 2 slices if they are thin), and top with a piece of mozzarella.
- Pick up one end of the cutlet and roll it. (NOTE: Here is when you can wrap and place the rollatini's in the refrigerator if you decide to bake them later in the day).
- Place the rollatini's onto a baking dish with the seam side down - no need for toothpicks. Lightly drizzle some extra olive oil on top of the rollatini to keep them moist while baking.
- BAKE in the oven, uncovered for 17 to 22 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serves 2 to 4
Yield:2 to 4 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Carbohydrates: 16.7gProtein: 35.7g
In case you missed it…
Most Popular Recipes of the Week:
- Veal Piccata with Lemon and Capers
- Fast & Easy Oven Roasted Baby Back Ribs
- Easy Shrimp Dinner
- How to Make Lasagna with No Boil Noodles (4 Easy Steps!)
…Thanks for Pinning!
That’s it friends!
If you try our chicken rollatini with prosciutto and cheese recipe, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating!
Have fun and snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest. We’d love to see what you cook!
Don’t forget to join our baking and cooking community and get our E-BOOK – Free! Enter your email in our ‘Weekly Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get new recipes every time we post and reminders of great older ones too!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz
|Serving size: 1 serving
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 28.2g
|Saturated Fat 9.1g
|Total Carbohydrate 16.7g
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g
|Total Sugars 1.9g
|Vitamin D 12mcg
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!