Chicken Pot Pie Without Pie Crust is made with boneless chicken tenders quickly sauteed and simmered with a mixture of fresh and frozen vegetables, gravy, and chicken broth. This is our classic Chicken Pot Pie, but without the pie crust. A delicious home-style meal that requires ONE skillet and is ready in 30 minutes, helps get dinner to the table fast!
Chicken Pot Pie without pie crust is a wonderful meal! It has all our favorite flavors, textures, and creamy sauce you would expect from our favorite chicken pot pie, only this one is made in one pan, and in a matter of minutes! And…no baking is required.
A satisfying dish to serve with a side of steamed rice, egg noodles, or even with our easy garlic mashed potatoes to soak up some of that creamy and flavorful gravy.
Leftovers are great for next day’s lunch too!
This recipe is no fuss at all. No need to worry about making or buying a pie crust.
Just knowing that I didn’t need the extra time to bake it in a pie crust, helped me bring dinner to the table a whole lot faster, and it’s easy on the wallet.
For me, chicken tenders are best to use for this recipe simply because they cook up quickly.
So, let’s make this dish!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie without Pie Crust!
1. First, lightly bread the chicken tenders and saute them for a few minutes in a large and deep skillet, until they were fully cooked. And of course, you can use your favorite gluten-free bread crumbs with this recipe.
2. Then remove chicken, transfer to a plate, and set them aside.
3. Next, toss the fresh veggies into the same skillet, and saute the veggies for a few minutes, until they soften.
4. Pour in a simple gravy mixture and 2 cups of frozen vegetables. Then transfer the chicken tenders back into the skillet, along with some seasonings, cover, and simmer for 10 more minutes. And it’s ready!
Loaded with creamy vegetables and tender juicy chicken, this Chicken Pot Pie Without Pie Crust turned out SO flavorful and SO delicious, no one will ever notice the pie crust is missing.
Best of all, no one complained about the ‘missing pie crust,’ at least no one in my family.
For Gluten-Free? Omit the bread crumbs completely, and saute the chicken with just olive oil and butter until golden brown.
Chicken Pot Pie Without Pie Crust is a perfect meal for those busy weeknights!
…Don’t forget to save this to your Dinner Board!
Here are a few more recipes for Chicken Tenders… try these:
Kitchen Equipment I used for this Recipe:
- 1 package of organic chicken tenderloins (1 pound,about 8 pieces)
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil - divided
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions (I used 1 small onion)
- 2 cups fresh pre-sliced mushrooms -rinsed
- 3/4 cup of sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken or beef gravy (I used Heinz Home Style Savory Beef Gravy)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 small thinly sliced potato, OR 1 can (14.5 oz) sliced potatoes, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of frozen peas and carrots ( I used Trader Joe's Organic Foursome Vegetable Medley)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Quickly rinse under running water the chicken tenderloins, allow them to drain briefly and place them into a breading pan.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over them and set them aside.
- Place the seasoned bread crumbs into a second breading tray and set it next to the chicken tenders.
- Preheat a large, non-stick saute pan on medium-high heat. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pan and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Using tongs to work quickly. Coat each chicken tenderloin with the olive oil and then with the bread crumbs and transfer (one by one) into the pre-heated skillet. Cook the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken and set it aside nearby.
- Add the diced onions and mushrooms to the same skillet. Cover with a lid. Stir occasionally while lightly scraping some of the remaining bread crumbs on the bottom of the pan. Cook onions and mushrooms until they soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, beef gravy, Dijon mustard, thyme and sour cream. Stir in the sliced potatoes and frozen veggies medley. Reduce heat to medium-low. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add Chicken tenders on top and Cover. Simmer for additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Vegetables, including potato slices should be tender to the bite. Turn off heat and serve.
- Serves 3 to 4 servings.
Cook's Notes :
I used beef gravy but you can certainly use chicken gravy instead. Also, you can use a vegetable medley of frozen peas and carrots.
Double the recipe for family of 5 or more.
Instead of seasoned bread crumbs, you can substitute with 2 cups of seasoned croutons crushed.
Hello friends! Are you cooking or baking with us? If you make our chicken pot pie without pie crust recipe, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below! Sharing your experience and insights will not only help those who read them but will help us too!
Have fun and snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram; be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest. We’d love to see what you cook and share your photos with the world! 🙂
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! …enter your email in our ” WEEKLY SUBSCRIBE BOX” and get them FREE every time we post a new recipe and reminders of some great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz