This dish, called Chicken Tenders Skillet Dinner, features boneless chicken tenders (also known as tenderloins) cooked in a skillet with fresh ingredients and a flavorful tomato broth. Our mom called this dish her Chicken Marinara. Serve it with a side of rice, couscous, or quinoa for a complete dinner! YUM!
Chicken Tenders Marinara…
- This chicken dish will take you by surprise!
- It’s super easy, budget-friendly, and very flavorful.
- Its aromatic flavors will please your palate immensely.
- Serve it with a side of steamed rice, creamy mashed potatoes, couscous, or quinoa to soak up its delicious sauce.
This recipe for chicken tenders is positively delicious, you will want to keep this one on a weekly rotation.
What are Chicken Tenders?
Chicken tenders are also known as chicken tenderloins. They are the meat part attached to the underside of the breast of the chicken, and it is generally removed and sold in packages, separately.
Also, they are the most tender part of the bird.
Chicken Tenders Skillet Dinner…
When we think of chicken tenders, basically, we think of the ones we order from a local chain restaurant, and usually for the kids.
They always come “fried,” coated with a thick batter or bread crumbs. No one ever thinks of them otherwise.
Until now! We enjoy cooking chicken tenders in recipes like this skillet dinner.
Simply because they cook up quickly, always turn out juicy and tender, and help get dinner on the table in no time.
Ingredients Needed for our Chicken Tenders Skillet Dinner…
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- boneless chicken tenders – at least one pound, or more, about 11 to 12 pieces.
- olive oil – good quality olive oil is best.
- butter – if you prefer no butter, just increase the amount of olive oil.
- seasonings – salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- herbs – only dried oregano is required. Also, some freshly chopped parsley.
- garlic cloves – to give this chicken dish an aromatic flavor.
- fresh ripe tomatoes on the vine – will create a light sauce.
- white wine – to enhance overall flavors.
- Optional: grated parmesan cheese – give it some creaminess and more flavors, but it’s not required.
How to Make Our Chicken Tenders Skillet Dinner… (*full recipe card below)
With just a few easy steps, you too can make this chicken dinner in a snap!
- Step 1: Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet. Add the tenders, and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Sauté for a few minutes, about 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Step 2: Turn each chicken tender over. Toss in the minced garlic, and scatter with oregano. Saute for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes. Toss the tomatoes into the skillet. Stir and cover with a lid.
3. Final Step: Pour in the white wine. Cover and simmer on low heat for a few minutes. Taste the sauce, and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Then open, sprinkle with some freshly chopped parsley on top. Here is where you can sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on top. And serve!
Tips for Success!
- If the sauce seems a little watery, no worries! After cooking, leave the cover off for a while, and as the sauce sits with the chicken, the chicken will continue to absorb some of the sauce.
- Also, another way to thicken the sauce is to remove the chicken tenders to a nearby serving platter, then simmer the sauce, uncovered for a few minutes longer. Then spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
- Optional: For additional flavor, you can sprinkle grated parmesan cheese all over the dish. This will not only give additional flavor, but also, gives some creaminess to the sauce. YUM! 😉
Can we use other chicken parts for this recipe?
Yes, you can. I have made this skillet dish several times. As long as they are boneless parts, such as boneless thighs and even breasts. But with breasts, I prefer to cut them in half and even into strips, like the tenders.
What if I don’t have white wine, what can I use in its place?
You can use either chicken broth or vegetable broth in its place. Either one will suffice.
Additional… Amazing Chicken Skillet Dinners…
- Chicken Tenders Smothered with Lemon and Parsley
- Tuscan Creamy Chicken Pasta (+Video)
- Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Cauliflower Rice Stir-Fry
- Skillet Dijon Chicken Breasts
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cutlets
If you enjoy chicken tenders as chicken fingers, you may try our recipe for oven-fried chicken fingers with Sriracha dipping sauce. It too is delicious!
- 1 to 1.5 pounds of boneless chicken tenders ( about 11 to 12 pieces)
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil - divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt - divided
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves - minced (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 4 ripe tomatoes - chopped
- 1/4 cup drinking white wine
- 2 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- Optional: 2 to 4 Tbsp. of grated parmesan cheese
- First, rinse chicken tenders and drain. In a large non-stick skillet, heat up olive oil on moderate heat. Toss in 2 tablespoons of butter and add in the chicken tenders.
- Season the tenders (while in the skillet) with some black pepper, cayenne, and 1/4 tsp. of salt. Saute the chicken on moderate-low heat for about 4 minutes.
- Use kitchen tongs to turn each one over. Then scatter with dried oregano over them. Next, toss in the minced garlic, and simmer the chicken with garlic for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the tenders over again, and toss in the chopped tomatoes. Next, drizzle additional 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. COVER with a lid. Simmer on low heat for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine, and add in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley on top. Cover again. This will flavor the sauce. Continue to simmer for a few minutes more, about 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Allow the chicken to rest in the skillet for a few minutes before serving. Optional: here is where you can sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the entire skillet before serving.
- Transfer the chicken to a deep baking dish or platter. Spoon all the remaining sauce over the chicken and garnish on top with chopped parsley and serve.
Serves 3 to 4
It's best to use any drinking white wine you may have on hand. Do not use supermarket cooking wine, it will not enhance this recipe.
Also, if the sauce seems a little watery, no worries! Uncover and simmer the chicken with the sauce for a few additional minutes, until the sauce has reduced a little. Also, stir some grated parmesan cheese. It will give the sauce more flavor and creaminess consistency.
Yield:3 to 4 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5.7gCholesterol: 97mgCarbohydrates: 6.1gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 3.3gProtein: 34.1g
Thanks for PINNING!
Any questions? …ask away!
Hi friends! If you try our chicken tenders skillet dinner, let us know and leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you! It helps everyone who reads your comments and it helps us too.
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! …enter your email in our “SUBSCRIBE BOX” and be the first to get our recipes FREE every time we post and reminders of some great older ones too!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
thanks for stopping by…
xo anna and liz