Swiss Chard Steamed with Tomatoes is an easy side dish to serve at dinner and it is loaded with flavor. It tastes sweeter than spinach and is ready in minutes! This is a simple recipe that highlights the Swiss chard in a delicious broth.
Today, Swiss Chard is mostly an overlooked vegetable by many shoppers simply because they don’t know what exactly it is or what to do with it.
What is Swiss Chard?
- Swiss chard is a wonderful leafy green vegetable with long white stems.
- It is closely related to spinach; and like spinach it is a healthy green vegetable loaded with vitamins and antioxidants.
- Best of all, it tastes so much better and sweeter than escarole and spinach!
- Today, you can find it in most supermarkets in the produce section, like all leafy greens.
- Swiss chard comes in two colors. They come in either all green leaves with white stems, or in array of rainbow colors with a red and green leaf combination.
- And, both chards taste the same.
Swiss chard is widely grown in southern Italy, and our mom has been cooking with Swiss chard forever!
This is our mom’s recipe, and it is AMAZING!
Reasons to LOVE this recipe for Swiss Chard…
- Swiss chard steamed with tomatoes takes minutes to cook.
- It is relatively inexpensive.
- A healthy green vegetable that’s loaded in nutrients.
- Makes a delicious side dish or you can serve it as a light starter, or soup.
- A simple recipe that gives a huge impression with flavor.
- No need to add any liquid or broth either, and you’ll see why.
- Best of all, one serving is only 116 calories!
How To Make Swiss Chard Steamed with Tomatoes…
For this recipe, you will need the following seven ingredients:
- 2 bunches of Swiss chard
- extra virgin olive oil
- crushed red pepper
- dried oregano
- ripe tomatoes
- and salt
Directions to make our Swiss Chard Steamed with Tomatoes…
1. First, chop the chard and rinse in a large pot under cold running water, then drain in a colander.
2. When you are done with that, you can start cooking the garlic with some crushed red pepper in olive oil in a large saucepot, and saute them for only 1 minute.
3. Next, toss in the wet chard along with chopped ripe tomatoes, oregano, and salt.
4. Cover with a lid and cook and steam everything for about 10 to 14 minutes, or until the stems are tender to the bite. That’s it!
*Quick NOTE: Keep in mind, most leafy vegetables like Swiss chard will shrink when steamed. So, it may look like it’s a lot when you’re rinsing the veggies, but it’s not. That is the reason why I always buy 2 bunches.
Swiss Chard Steamed with Tomatoes makes a wonderful and flavorful broth. It’s SO good, you’ll be tempted to eat it with a spoon rather than a fork.
And, try dipping some crusty bread into the broth- yum!
This recipe for Swiss Chard is positively delicious! It won’t disappoint.
You can serve this healthy dish as a starter, as a light soup, or as a side dish with any seafood, chicken, or roast.
We think you will be surprised at how flavorful this vegetable really is!
If you have never tried Swiss chard before, we highly recommend it.
A healthy green vegetable to add to soups, stews and more! Enjoy all the benefits this vegetable offers!
We hope this recipe will inspire you to buy some Swiss chard soon… and get cooking!!
This post was originally posted in 2011. The content and recipe are the same, only photos have been updated.
|Serving size: 1 serving|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11.4g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 1.6g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.2g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|
|Total Sugars 1.5g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|