Tuscan Tortellini Soup features Swiss chard and cheese-filled tortellini, creating a light and delicious meal. This dish is packed with vegetables along with Swiss chard and can be prepared in just 30 minutes. Plus, it’s very easy to make on the stovetop but you can also make it in the slow cooker and the Instant Pot. 🙂
Our Tuscan Tortellini Soup…
- Is very quick to make and so flavorful!
- Also, while the soup simmers, you can make a quick salad as a side.
- Perfect to serve as the first course for a dinner party.
- Reheats beautifully.
- Perfect for meatless meals!
- With this recipe, dinner is ready in about 30 minutes.
How To Make Tuscan Tortellini Soup? (*full recipe card below!)
1. Start with a simple base of olive oil, garlic, onion, and celery. Then add some liquid, either water, broth, or both.
2. Next, add some vegetables: some fennel, fresh ripe tomatoes, Swiss chard (only the greens), and frozen tortellini. Add a few seasonings like salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
3. Simmer for a few minutes more and serve!
Cook’s Notes and Tips…
- Cheese-filled Tortellini is what I used, and only half of a 19-ounce package, (approx. 8 or 9 ounces used). Tortellini tends to expand and absorb a lot of broth in soups and therefore a small amount goes a long way.
- If Tortellini Is Frozen? Allow them to thaw for 10 to 15 minutes before tossing them into the soup. This helps speed up the cooking process.
- You can also use refrigerated tortellini, but it’s best to toss it in the last 10 minutes or less.
- I used a small bunch of Swiss chard. It’s best to use only the green leaves of the Swiss chard for this soup. Reserve the white stalks for another stew, soup, or recipe. If you prefer to use the stalks, it’s best to slice them and cook them along with the garlic, celery, onion, and fennel.
- How To Clean Swiss Chard? You can check out: How to Clean Swiss Chard?
- We recommend a parmesan rind and drop it into the soup, for at least the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- The parmesan cheese rind slowly melts while the soup simmers, giving this Tuscan Tortellini soup a rich flavor and a light creamy appearance, without adding any cream to the broth.
Make it in a Slow Cooker…
- Use a 6-quart size. Stir together olive oil, garlic, celery, onion, fennel, tomatoes, broth, water, basil, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Then add in tortellini, Swiss chard, and 1 Parmesan cheese rind and continue to cook on high for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the tortellini is tender.
For the Instant Pot…
- Set your settings to “saute.”
- Drizzle olive oil and add garlic, onion, and fennel, and saute for 2 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and follow the directions to your Instant Pot.
Plump ripe tomatoes, and cheese-filled tortellini with extra healthy greens make this flavorful Tuscan Tortellini Soup turn out delicious!
Best of all, one serving is only 192 calories!
Serve this soup with crunchy bread, a salad as the side, and some extra-grated parmesan cheese at the table.
Have a delicious weekend!
…Thanks for Pinning and Sharing!
Looking for More ‘One-Pot’ Healthy Recipes?
- Easy Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup ( Diary-Free)
- Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
- Italian Style Zucchini and Tomato Soup (Vegan)
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Cheese and Sage
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves -sliced
- 2 stalks of celery - sliced
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1/2 bulb of fennel, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 ripe tomatoes - chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound of frozen cheese-filled Tortellini ( half of 16-ounce or 19-oz package)
- 5 to 8 cups of Swiss Chard (Only the greens, No white stalks or stems) - chopped
- 1 Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, celery, onion, and fennel and saute ( stirring occasionally) until the vegetables are softened about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, broth, water, basil leaves, dried oregano, salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- COVER with a lid and raise the heat to high and bring soup to a rapid boil. Then lower the heat to low and simmer the soup for 15 to 20 minutes. All the vegetables will be softened and tender, ready for the greens and tortellini to be added.
- Toss in the cheese-filled tortellini, chopped greens of Swiss chard, and toss in one Parmesan rind into the soup and raise the heat again to HIGH. The soup needs to come to a low boil again.
- Cover and simmer the soup for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until the tortellini are tender.
- Turn off the heat and ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
- Fish and remove the Parmesan cheese rind before storing leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 5.8gCarbohydrates: 26.6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3.3gProtein: 9.3g