Rich and Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (Dairy-Free)
Rich and Creamy Butternut Squash Soup have a smooth, silky texture but most of all, it’s delicious! It’s a perfect starter to warm you up during the frigid winter. While some butternut squash soups can taste too sweet, I found a way to balance the flavor and make it more savory and less sweet tasting by adding a few more veggies to this soup. I even cut out the butter and cream from the recipe, making this completely dairy-free!
Rich and creamy butternut squash soup is relatively easy to make. The prep work is minimal if you can find the butternut squash already pre-chopped at the market, then this soup takes only a few minutes to put it all together.
It only needs to simmer for 25 minutes, and then it’s pureed into a rich, creamy texture.
Butternut squash can be found in most supermarkets during the fall and winter months. They appear to look like a large pear-shaped, golden-yellow pumpkin, rather than a squash.
However, they are delicious, sweet-tasting, and loaded with antioxidants and vitamins A and B, along with phytonutrients. They contain similar health benefits to the other squashes; including the benefits of it being low-calorie, have no saturated fat and no cholesterol!
All the more reasons to eat this vegetable!
This soup turned out so amazing, my daughter asked me to make it again so she can freeze a batch before I head back home.
My favorite aspect of this version of butternut squash soup is the texture.
It is one of the creamiest, most delicious soups I have ever created… and especially since I eliminated all the butter and heavy cream from the recipe, no one will notice the difference, the taste is still amazing!
Most restaurants load their butternut squash soups with heavy cream and butter, this recipe cuts all the cream and extra calories, making it a satisfying soup that won’t tip the scale.
A win-win!! Don’t you think?
Here are a few more recipes to LOVE Butternut Squash:
Caramelized Butternut Squash
Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup
Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Butternut Squash and Carrots
…Thanks for Pinning!
Yield: 2 quarts
Rich and Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (Dairy-Free)
Rich and Creamy Butternut Squash Soup has a smooth, silky texture and it's delicious! Easy to make and puree! Perfect for a cold winter's night!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 carrots -chopped
- 3 stalks of celery - chopped
- 1 onion- chopped
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 to 3 pounds)- peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Optional: grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and sauté onions, carrots and celery for about 5 minutes, until they have softened. Add the butternut squash and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt, thyme, cayenne pepper, vegetable broth and water. ( Liquid should cover the vegetables, if you need to add more water- do so). Bring to a boil. Cover, and lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Taste the soup, and season with black pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat. Set aside, and allow soup to cool down, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer in small batches to a blender, and pulse on low speed a few times to puree and pour soup back into pot. Or use a hand-held immersion blender to puree the soup until its luscious and creamy. If it becomes too thick, add more water. If necessary, reheat before serving.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
- Yields: 2 quarts
this looks beautiful and I love that you made it without diary. perfect for the weeknight rush
SLURP. I'd love a big bowl of this!!
I love squash in any form. But soup that is creamy without cream? That;s a winner in my book!
Thanks Abbe, we think so too!
I can imagine how wonderful this soup is! What a brilliant color! A bowl full of warm love from Liz and Anna!
Roz you say the sweetest things! Thank you for the lovely comment!
Have a great weekend!
Butternut squash is my favorite, and that soup looks so creamy and delicious! I have a couple of butternuts in my cupboard right now destined for some soup this weekend. 🙂
Thank you Betty! I hope you enjoy this recipe. Thanks again !
With temperatures dropping all over the Midwest and east coast this is the perfect way to stay warm and healthy. It looks lovely and the recipe sounds great!
Thank you Sue! This soup definitely is perfect for this kind of weather.
And with more snow in the forecast for this weekend- we'll be cooking soups all day again, and I know you will too.
You know I love this! I am such a fan of healthy soups and especially butternut squash – my favorite. Hope you're having a great time!
We love this soup too! In fact we have been making soups all week but this was worth posting and I have one more to post next week.
The weather has been absolutely brutal this week – I am missing the warm weather in the South! But I am having such a great time with my grand babies. My husband who couldn't make this trip is jealous..lol..