Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup is vegan, dairy free and easy to make! Full of flavor, this creamy butternut squash potato soup makes a perfect soup on a cold chilly night. Loaded with butternut squash and a few seasonings including curry powder, this luscious soup is ready for dinner in 25 minutes. So good, you can have a second bowl, guilt free!
For me, butternut squash alone is much too sweet. So I decided to throw a potato into my recipe to give the squash some balance in flavor. And it did the job.
Not too sweet, with the perfect balance of flavor in this soup, making it very enjoyable to eat. Because of its wonderful thick and creamy texture, this soup is very comforting with every spoonful!
Best of all, it’s super creamy without adding any extra calories or fat to it.
Butternut squash potato soup can made ahead of time, even the night before and reheated the next day. This is perfect when entertaining guests for the holidays. It’s happens to be one of our favorite ways use the butternut squash.
We like serving this soup with a sprinkle of crispy bacon or crispy pieces of prosciutto on top. It’s even delicious with some croutons tossed on top for some added crunch. Or serve it simple with some fresh cracked pepper on top.
And of course, some grated Parmesan cheese at the table for those who don’t mind a little more flavor and richness to it.
Our family loves this soup because it’s very light and not overly sweet making this a perfect soup to serve as the first course to any meal, and even for Thanksgiving.
The smooth creamy texture leaves you with a warm feeling on any cold fall day. It’s easy enough to make during any weeknight, and company worthy for a dinner party. With the holiday’s around the corner, you may want to add this one to your menu.
An an ideal soup to share with family and friends. It’s truly wonderful, take our word for it!
You have to try it!
Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup
Recipe type: First Course / Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup is vegan, dairy free and full of flavor! This soup is easy to make for any night, but also a dish that is company worthy for a dinner party.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion - chopped
- ⅛ tsp. curry powder
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 large Idaho potato - chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash - chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Optional: grated Parmesan cheese at the table
- In a medium soup pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add the chopped onion.
- Sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, salt, red pepper and black pepper.
- Add potato and butternut squash.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable broth. Cover with lid.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Allow to cool down. Taste for salt, and season with salt to taste.
- Carefully transfer to a blender or food processor in thirds and place a kitchen cloth over the lid to hold it down while you blend on low speed. This is because when blending hot liquids, the heat may cause the lid to pop off, so please be careful. Transfer liquid back to pot.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Optional: serve with some freshly cracked black pepper on top, or with some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve!
- Serves 4 to 6