Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup is rich, thick, creamy delicious! Easy to make and full of flavor, this creamy butternut squash potato soup makes a perfect soup on a cold chilly night. It’s vegan, dairy-free, and loaded with butternut squash, plus lovely seasonings including curry powder, and ready for dinner in 25 minutes. So good, you can have a second bowl, guilt-free!
Our Creamy Butternut Squash Soup…
For me, butternut squash alone is much too sweet. So I decided to throw a potato into my recipe to give the squash some balance in flavor. And it did the job!
Plus, there’s no need to add any creams, to thicken it or give it a luscious texture.
Best of all, it’s super creamy without adding any extra calories or fat to it. (we love that!)
This soup is simply pureed, similar to our Easy Broccoli Zucchini Soup, and our 10 Healthy Vegetable Soups which are also low in calories and fat, and dairy-free.
It’s not too sweet, with the perfect balance of flavor in this soup, making it very enjoyable to eat.
Because of its wonderful thick and creamy texture, this soup is very comforting with every spoonful!
Quick Notes and Tips…
Butternut squash potato soup can be made ahead of time, even the night before, and reheated the next day. This is perfect when entertaining guests.
It’s happened to be one of our favorite ways to use butternut squash.
Options to Jazz it up!
- We enjoy serving this soup with a sprinkle of crispy bacon or crispy pieces of prosciutto on top.
- It’s even delicious with some croutons tossed on top for some added crunch.
- Or serve it simply with some fresh cracked pepper on top.
- And of course, some grated Parmesan cheese at the table for those who don’t mind a little more flavor and richness to it.
Our family loves this soup because it’s very light and not overly sweet making this a perfect soup to serve as the first course to any meal.
How to make Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup?
(*Full recipe card below!) For our recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- onion – one onion chopped is all you need
- curry powder
- crushed red pepper
- Himalayan salt
- black pepper
- Idaho potato – one large potato chopped
- butternut squash – about 1 pound and chopped
- vegetable stock or broth – you will only need about 3 cups
- Optional: grated Parmesan cheese, to serve at the table
Easy Directions to make our Creamy Squash Soup:
- Simply saute the vegetables in a soup pot with olive oil for a few minutes.
- Toss in the seasonings.
- Add the chopped squash and potato.
- Pour in the broth and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then blend, and puree into a creamy smooth mixture.
Storing and Freezing…
To Store: First, be sure to allow the soup to cool completely before storing it in a sealed container. Then keep it chilled in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days. If any longer, it is best to transfer it to your freezer and freeze it for another dinner or lunch later in the month.
To Freeze: Like most of our soup recipes, this one also freezes beautifully. Be sure to allow it to thaw on your counter before transferring it to a pot and simmer to reheat it thoroughly. It freezes well for up to one month.
Our creamy butternut squash soup is truly delicious!
The smooth creamy texture leaves you with a warm feeling on any cold winter’s day.
It’s easy enough to make during any weeknight and company-worthy for a dinner party.
An ideal soup to share with family and friends. It’s truly wonderful, take our word for it!
You have to try it!
… Thanks for Pinning!
You might enjoy additional butternut squash recipes, try these:
- Healthy Butternut Squash Zucchini Soup
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Butternut Squash Ravioli
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Cheese and Sage
- Healthy Italian Butternut Sweet Potato Casserole
- Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Carrots with Olive Oil and Pancetta
And, finally, More Creamy Soups for you to try…
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1/8 tsp. curry powder
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 large Idaho potato - chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 pound butternut squash - chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Optional: grated Parmesan cheese at the table
- In a medium soup pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add the chopped onion.
- Sauté the onion for 5 minutes. Then add in the curry powder, salt, red pepper, and black pepper.
- Add the chopped potato and butternut squash.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable broth. Cover with lid.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Allow to cool down. Taste for salt, and season with salt to taste.
- Carefully transfer to a blender or food processor in thirds and place a kitchen cloth over the lid to hold it down while you blend at low speed. This is because when blending hot liquids, the heat may cause the lid to pop off, so please be careful. Transfer the liquid back to the pot. NOTE: If the soup is too thick, you may add a little water.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped parsley. The soup should be thick and creamy. Serve warm.
- Optional: serve with some freshly cracked black pepper on top, or with some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve!
- Serves 4 to 6
1 cup gives you: Calcium 47mg, Iron 1mg, and Potassium 374mg
Yield:4 to 6 servings
Serving Size:1 serving (1 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 4.8gCarbohydrates: 13.9gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 2.6gProtein: 1.4g
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you try our butternut squash potato soup, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below! Or snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest; and be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes.
It makes us happy to see what you cook! 🙂
Also, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Enter your email in our “Subscribe Box” and get all our recipes “FREE”, and reminders of some great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂