If you like a creamy broccoli soup, then cozy up with our Easy Broccoli Zucchini Soup that’s loaded with broccoli, zucchini, and celery. It is so delicious and satisfying, plus it’s high in nutrients and ready in about 30 minutes. This soup is just the comfort food we need for these chilly days.
When it comes to cozy soups, thick and hearty ones like this come to mind. The best part of this soup is that it is not weighed down with heavy creams and cheeses.
Plus, it is ideal to serve the entire family.
Similar to our easy broccoli leek soup, and our creamy broccoli soup without cream, which is loaded with nutrition, containing enough vitamin C in just one cup, making it the perfect soup for the cold weather.
Best of all, it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and …totally delicious!
We have many recipes for soups on our blog. Just take a peek into our post for our 10 Healthy Vegetable Soups, as I am sure you will find one or maybe even two that will inspire you to try.
Ingredients for my Easy Broccoli Zucchini Soup:
Here are the ingredients needed to make this soup.
extra virgin olive oil
large onion – 1 large one or 2 mediums.
stalks of celery – you will need at least 3 stalks.
fresh broccoli – you will need at least 2 small broccoli heads.
zucchini – 2 medium-size or one large.
fresh basil leaves
low-sodium vegetable broth – only need 2 cups.
There is one extra step to my easy broccoli zucchini soup!
I grabbed a handful of the florets and steamed them in a small pot with some water for a few minutes.
Then I roughly cut them up into pieces and then tossed them (including all the liquid) into my soup (after I pureed the soup).
This gave my soup a little more texture and made it even heartier.
If you need more additional help, check out our post on How To Clean Broccoli Properly
Cook’s Notes and Tips…
If you use the immersion handheld blender, you can make it as smooth or as chunky as your preference.
When shopping in the produce aisle for the broccoli, look for the ones that sell “out of the bags.” My recipe requires only 2 small heads of broccoli, no need for the large stems in this recipe. Plus, this will help speed up the prep work.
Don’t forget to add in the “steaming water” from your broccoli (in the small pot). It contains all the nutrients from cooking the broccoli in it.
If the soup is too thick, just add some water.
The soup stays fresh for up to 3 days. It freezes and reheats beautifully.
Also, and this is totally optional! Just before serving, I prefer to stir in 2 heaping tablespoons of grated pecorino cheese into the soup. It makes this soup more flavorful and yummy!
This recipe will yield 6 to 8 servings.
Easy Broccoli Zucchini Soup is one delicious, thick and hearty soup.
I bet your family will love this soup, and they will probably ask for seconds, for sure.
Serve it with a grilled cheese and pear sandwich, or maybe with our mozzarella in carrozza, and dinner is easy!
Try it, and let us know.
… Thanks for PINNING!
More Easy and Cozy Soups, try these:
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. (26.6 grams) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - diced
- 3 stalks of celery - chopped
- 2 small broccoli heads - rinsed, florets cut into pieces, DIVIDED
- 2 medium-size zucchini - chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups (473 grams) water - DIVIDED
- 2 cups (473 grams) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. (11.38 grams) salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. grated pecorino cheese
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil on moderate heat. Toss in the garlic, onions, and zucchini.
- In a large bowl, submerge in cold water and rinse the 2 broccoli heads. Then cut into the florets. Drain. Remove a handful (about 5 to 7 florets) and set them into a small pot.
- Stir in the remaining broccoli into the zucchini and onion mixture. Cover, and simmer and saute all the veggies together for 5 minutes. Stirring every so often.
- Meanwhile, add 1 cup of water to the small pot with the extra broccoli florets. Cover and cook for a few minutes, until the broccoli is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Next, using a fork or spoon, remove the florets from the small pot and set them into a dish, and set them aside. These will be tossed into the soup at the very end.
- Take the water inside the small pot and pour it into the broccoli and zucchini mixture. Then pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth and the remaining 1 cup of water. Add in salt and cayenne pepper. Give it a good stir. Cover and raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer the soup (covered) for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Using a hand-held immersion blender. Blend the soup directly inside the pot.
- Give a rough chop to the remaining florets we had set aside. Stir those into the soup.
- Optional: Stir in 2 tablespoons of grated pecorino cheese.
- Taste the soup, and adjust the salt to taste. Then serve into individual bowls.
- yields: 6 to 8 servings
If the soup is too thick, you can stir in a little water, to your desire.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 4.8gCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 1.7g
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.8g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.7g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5%|
|Total Sugars 1.9g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|