This Creamy Broccoli Parmesan Soup takes only 20 minutes to make. You can make this richly flavored, light soup in a blender or directly in the pot with a hand-held immersion blender. It is comforting with every spoonful. Lusciously creamy, this soup is low-carb, high in protein, and loaded with nutrients. Perfect for a chilly night!
Creamy Broccoli Parmesan Soup…
Simple, easy, and an ideal recipe that’s very healthy for everyone.
There’s No cream and No butter added.
The grated Parmesan cheese melts smoothly when blended into the soup to create “the cream” effect without actually adding any. (we love that!)
This delicious soup is perfect if you’re looking for something satisfying and loaded with nutrients and essential vitamins.
Our recipe is very easy to make and it’s ready in minutes.
Keep in mind, we used the entire broccoli: cutting off the ends, peeling off the skins, then chopping it into pieces. (Watch our 1-minute Video below!)
Plus, the flavor is positively delicious! This soup is also ideal for the Keto diet.
You can serve this soup with our grilled cheese and pear sandwich and dinner is done!
Why is our Creamy Broccoli Parmesan Soup healthy?
- First, it is loaded with fresh broccoli.
- Our soup contains only 1 healthy cheese and that is Parmigiano-Reggiano, which is healthier than most cheeses (see our notes below).
- The soup is pureed in a blender to give its creamy, smooth, and thick texture. Plus, NO additional creams, cheeses, or fat are added.
- It’s low in carbs, and low calories, but HIGH in protein.
- Plus, broccoli is high in many nutrients, including vitamins C and K, iron, potassium, and fiber. It also contains more protein than most other vegetables.
Why is Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese healthier than any other cheese?
In Italy, more doctors prescribe Parmigiano-Reggiano than any other food. Why?
- Because it is the most healthy, nutritious food one can eat that’s easy to digest totally. It takes just 45 minutes for the body to assimilate the nutrients in Parmigiano-Reggiano versus 4 hours for other protein sources.
- That means just a sprinkling on baby’s rice cereal will add lots of calcium, phosphorous, and vitamins without “tying” an infant’s delicate system up in knots.
- And, because it’s one of the cheeses containing the lowest fat and cholesterol of any aged natural cheese, it is one of the many reasons Italians eat so much of it.
- Even senior citizens and people with all manner of digestive problems are also told to eat Parmigiano-Reggiano to help sustain their strength. That’s why Parmigiano-Reggiano is the number one cheese consumed in all of Italy.
How to Make Creamy Broccoli Parmesan Soup?
For our creamy soup you will need the following ingredients:
- Broccoli – about 1 pound of fresh broccoli
- Olive Oil – extra virgin olive oil
- Onion – 1 large onion
- Celery – about 3 or 4 stalks
- Garlic – about 2 cloves
- Liquid – some water and vegetable broth
- Herbs – fresh parsley is preferred
- Seasonings – only salt, and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
First, How to Clean Fresh Broccoli Correctly?
If you want the most nutrients and best flavor from broccoli, it’s important to clean it properly. WATCH our 1-minute Video to show you how to clean and trim it.
Directions to make our delicious creamy soup:
1. In a large soup pot, toss in the olive oil and chopped onion, celery, and garlic, and cook the veggies until they are softened about 5 minutes.
2. Next, add the fresh parsley. This infuses some aromatic flavor into the veggies.
3. Add the chopped broccoli and water. Cover and bring to a boil, cook for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the vegetable broth, and salt, and cover again. Simmer the mixture for an additional 5 to 6 minutes until the broccoli is fork-tender.
5. Then puree in small batches, and pour them back into the pot. You can use a blender to puree (as I did here) or use a hand-held immersion blender. Either one is fine.
6. Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into the final batch to puree. Stir the entire mixture in the pot to blend. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Then serve.
Additional Notes and Tips For Success…
- You can make ahead and leave the creamy broccoli soup in the pot, covered. When it’s time to serve dinner, you can easily reheat the soup until it is thoroughly heated, then serve it.
- If you find the soup is too thick, you can quickly stir in some additional water, and in small increments of about 1/4 cup, until you reached your desired consistency.
- You can either puree the broccoli mixture in the blender or with a handheld immersion blender.
- Don’t forget to add the grated parmesan cheese to the final blending.
- Also, never ever throw away the rind of the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Store them in a plastic ziplock bag, and freeze them. Use one or two rinds to flavor other soups and stews in the future.
To Store and Freeze Broccoli Soup…
- To Store: store soup in a sealed container and keep it chilled in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- To Freeze: you can easily freeze leftovers in a sealed container for up to one month.
Additional recipes for delicious Soups!
- Cream of Zucchini Soup without Cream
- Split Pea and Thyme Soup
- Lemon Orzo Soup
- Easy Brussels Sprouts Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Soup – without cream!
- Velvety Celery Soup
- Split Pea Soup – Italian-Style!
- Creamy Artichoke Soup
- Easy Broccoli Zucchini Soup
- Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion- chopped
- 3 stalks of celery - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 16 ounces (about 7 cups) of fresh broccoli - rinsed, trimmed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. In a large soup pot, add the olive oil, onions, celery, and garlic and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables softened about 5 minutes.
2. Next, toss in the broccoli and fresh parsley, and pour in 1 cup of water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil, for about 2 minutes.
3. Uncover and add the salt, and vegetable broth, and cover again. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the broccoli is tender to the fork.
4. Turn off the heat and uncover. Allow the soup to cool down for a few minutes before pureeing it.
5. TO BLEND: Do this in small batches. Carefully scoop (one or two ladle ful) the broccoli mixture into a blender. Secure the lid on the blender and remove the centerpiece on the lid to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel over the opening. Blend on low speed first, then increase until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour it back into the pot.
6. Continue until you are at the last batch of broccoli mixture, and toss the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into the final blending. Pour it back into the pot. Stir to combine the soup. Taste, and adjust the seasonings if needed.
7. Divide into 4 to 6 bowls, garnish with some grated parmesan cheese on top, and a sprinkle of dried parsley or black pepper. Serve immediately.
yields: 4 to 6 servings
If you feel the soup is too thick, you may stir in some water to your liking.
Also, you can make the soup ahead, blend to puree, and leave it in the pot covered, until you are ready to serve dinner. Then you can easily reheat the soup until it is thoroughly heated, and serve.
Yield:4 to 6 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 11.8gCarbohydrates: 8.1gFiber: 2.7gProtein: 9.5g
OK, don’t forget to PIN, Save or Tag! …thanks again!
Any questions? Ask away! If you try our creamy broccoli parmesan soup, let us know and leave a comment below. It helps everyone who reads them, and it helps us too.
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get our recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too.
Thanks for stopping by…. and Happy & Healthy Cooking! 🙂
xo anna and liz