Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich, together offer savory and sweet flavors that will exceed anyone’s expectations. Sliced pears along with a thin slice of blue cheese, fresh arugula, and a dash of Dijon creates a grilled cheese sandwich that becomes insanely delicious!
Some time ago I posted one of our pizza’s called the Pear and Roquefort Pizza. It’s basically made with the same ingredients, fresh pears, blue cheese, and fresh arugula.
And the pizza always turns out amazing!
So, I thought of paring the same three ingredients together in a sandwich, and to my surprise, the outcome was fantastic! Need I say more?
What is Blue cheese?
Blue cheese or bleu cheese is cheese made with cultures of the mold, which gives its blue spots or veins. And it has a distinct smell, that is caused by various cultivated bacteria.
Blue cheese is known to be a very sharp, salty cheese but when it melts it becomes creamy, smooth, and even mild tasting.
I know many of you are not fond of blue cheese, and alone, it’s not my favorite either. But trust me on this one.
You only need a slice of sharp cheese, like blue cheese to transform this grilled cheese sandwich.
What kind of pears should we use?
Sweet pears like Bosc and Bartlett pears will work perfectly. And the benefits of eating pears are HUGE!
Pears help fight fatigue, plus they’re loaded with fiber, vitamins, and potassium just to name a few. You can learn more about the benefits of eating pears in this article: Benefits of Eating Pears.
Plus, arugula is like spinach, nutrient-rich, and a cancer-fighting Superfood. It’s loaded in calcium, potassium, and vitamins B, C, and K. All the more reasons to have arugula, and add some to your salads and sandwiches.
Your family and friends will LOVE this Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich.
This is a mouthwatering sandwich. When you pair blue cheese with subtle sweet-tart pear, and some fresh arugula to give it some peppery flavor, the flavors will absolutely explode in your mouth!
SO AMAZING! It’s even addicting.
You’ll wonder why you haven’t tried it before.
Serve this grilled sandwich for lunch or as a light dinner, and maybe even pair it with a bowl of soup next to it.
It’s delicious served with our Spicy Carrot Soup, and even with our Cream of Broccoli Soup -without the cream.
Don’t forget to PIN this one to your favorite Sandwich Board!
More Tasty Sandwiches!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 4 Thick slices of country bread
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted or olive oil
- 4-ounces of Blue cheese - thinly sliced
- 1 large Bosc or Bartlett pear - thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Optional: 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with butter or olive oil.
- Form sandwiches with buttered-side out. Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard on one side onto each sandwich, then add a few slices of pear and pile on some fresh arugula.
- Top with a thin slice of blue cheese and close the sandwiches.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Grill the sandwiches, on low heat until the bread is golden brown, crispy, and the cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove and cut sandwiches in half or diagonally and serve immediately.
- Serves 2