Pumpkin Crumb Cake is a delicious coffee cake topped with a buttery crumble and a cinnamon glaze, making it irresistible! Simple sheet pan cake that’s easy to make, and one everyone is sure to love it. This recipe is a winner!
Delicious flavor, not too sweet and moist with every bite. We love baking and cooking with pumpkin for various reasons:
- Is a squash loaded with vitamins and nutrients.
- It has a mild flavor, and creates moisture in baked goods, like muffins and cookies.
- It adds flavor to soups and stews, like our Healthy Autumn Squash Soup.
- And it gives a beautiful autumn color.
How to Make Pumpkin Crumb Cake?
There are 3 Steps to make our sheet-pan pumpkin crumb cake. (+VIDEO below!) The first step is to make the cake batter and bake it “halfway.” The second step is to make the buttery crumb mixture, while the cake is baking, and add it on top, and continue baking until the cake is done. The final step is to make the cinnamon glaze.
What Ingredients Needed For Pumpkin Crumb Cake?
Like most of our cake recipes, the ingredients are mostly simple pantry ones. For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
the PUMPKIN CAKE:
- Flour – an all-purpose flour is ideal. You may use an all-purpose gluten-free one as well.
- Sugars – you will need both brown sugar and granulated sugar for this recipe.
- Olive Oil – you will need only 1/2 cup of good quality olive oil.
- Eggs – for this recipe, 2 large eggs are needed.
- Pumpkin Puree – be sure it is pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie.
- Dairy – some sour cream for extra moisture in this cake.
- Seasonings – you need pumpkin spice along with baking powder, baking soda, and some salt.
the CRUMB MIXTURE:
- Butter – you will need 1 + 1/2 sticks of butter, and melted.
- Flour – some all-purpose flour again.
- Sugar – some granulated sugar.
- Vanilla – you’ll need some vanilla extract to flavor the crumb mixture.
- Cinnamon – some ground cinnamon will give these crumbs an extra flavor to it.
- Salt – to balance the sugar in the mixture.
Lastly, the CINNAMON GLAZE:
- Flour – some flour to help keep the glaze from melting away into the cake.
- Powdered Sugar – to sweeten the glaze.
- Cinnamon – gives the warm flavor and it pairs well with this pumpkin cake.
- Water or milk – just enough to make the glaze.
Directions to Make Pumpkin Crumb Cake…
3-Easy Steps to Make this Pumpkin Sheet Cake: (*full recipe card + video below!)
- MAKE THE CAKE! First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C). Stir all the dry ingredients in one large bowl. Then add and blend oil, sour cream, and pumpkin. Then blend in the eggs and blend for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into your 9 x 13 baking pan and transfer to the oven ( on middle rack). Bake the cake “halfway” through, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- MAKE THE CRUMB MIXTURE! Blend all the ingredients until it is very thick, and turn into a ball. When the cake is baked “halfway” through, remove it from the oven, and quickly crumble the mixture over the cake, as quickly as you can. Then transfer the cake back into the oven to finish the baking.
3. MAKE THE CINNAMON GLAZE! Use a small whisk or a spoon to mix the ingredients into a smooth, but thick mixture. Wait until the cake is cooled and drizzle the glaze over the crumb cake. Cut into square pieces, and serve. Serves 12.
WATCH VIDEO: How to Make Pumpkin Crumb Cake? (1-minute)
A Few Tips for Success:
- Keep in mind, all ovens will vary, from gas to electric, so you will need to keep an eye on the cake while baking.
- Also, glass baking pans will need extra baking time, and metal baking pans few minutes less.
- To FREEZE: It is best to freeze the cake before glazing. It will freeze beautifully up to 2 months. Then thaw before serving and drizzle the glaze on.
Delicious Pumpkin Crumb Cake everyone will love!
Try this recipe, you’ll enjoy it all week long. Serve it with your favorite cup of coffee, tea, or with our pumpkin spice lattes. There’s plenty to serve family and friends!
Additional Delicious Cake Recipes…
- Pineapple Banana Spice Cake
- Lemon Raspberry Cake
- Fabulously Easy Carrot Cake
- Best Decadent Chocolate Cake
- Best No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
FOR THE CAKE BATTER:
- 2 + 1/4 cups (286g) all-purpose flour (or GF)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 3/4 cup (128g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) olive oil
- 1 cup (244g) pumpkin puree (not for pie)
- 1/2 cup (113g) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE:
- 12 Tbsp. (170g) or (1 + 1/2 sticks) of unsalted butter
- 1 + 1/2 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (133g) granulated sugar
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
FOR CINNAMON GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup (30g) of flour
- 3/4 cup (94g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. water or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C). Grease or spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking oil. Then dust with flour on all sides. Set aside.
- Stir all the dry ingredients in one large mixing bowl.
- Then add and blend oil, sour cream, and pumpkin for about 1 minute or so until well blended.
- Then blend in the eggs and blend for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour into your prepared 9 x 13 baking pan and use the back of a spoon to spread it evenly. Then transfer to the oven ( on middle rack).
- Bake the cake "halfway" through, 18 to 20 minutes. (NOTE: best to set a timer!)
- In the meantime, MAKE THE CRUMB MIXTURE! Blend all the ingredients until it is very thick, and turn into a ball.
- When the cake is baked "halfway" through, remove it from the oven, (close the oven door) and quickly add the buttery crumb mixture, breaking it into pieces, and spread them over the cake, as quickly as you can. Then transfer the cake back into the oven to finish the baking for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- The cake is done when a toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean. Remove the cake from oven, and allow cooling before adding the glaze.
- MAKE THE CINNAMON GLAZE! Use a small whisk or a spoon to mix the ingredients into a smooth, but thick mixture. Wait until the cake is cooled and drizzle the glaze over the crumb cake, then serve.
Yields: 12 servings
This coffee cake is moist, dense and thick. It's not light and airy like a cake.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 23.1gCarbohydrates: 41.3gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 22gProtein: 4.2g
Thanks for Pinning!
Tried this recipe? Let us know, and leave a comment below! It not only helps everyone who reads them, and it helps us too!
Join our Baking and Cooking Family! Don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get new recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too! This recipe is original.
Happy Baking! 🙂
and thanks for stopping by…
xo anna and liz