Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe (+video) also known as the cottage pie, is a classic combination of meat, potatoes, and vegetables baked in an all-in-one delicious casserole! Loaded with a mixture of ground beef, peas, and carrots, topped with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes, this delightful casserole comes together in minutes, making dinner a snap!
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Casserole…
With food prices rising, there are a few ingredients that are not too costly, and easy to cook, it’s potatoes and ground beef.
Shepherd’s pie is a great recipe and a budget-friendly meal for everyone to enjoy!
This recipe calls for ground beef, a frozen mix of vegetables, and mashed potatoes!
Here’s a Great Tip! If you happen to make mashed potatoes for dinner one night, make extra! Then you can take the “leftover mashies” and use them for this shepherd’s pie casserole, and have your meal already planned for the next day.
What is Shepherd’s pie?
The original recipe came from the United Kingdom and Ireland, and it was also called the “cottage pie.”
It is usually made with ground beef or ground lamb, along with vegetables, covered with mashed potatoes on top.
Traditionally, it was a dish created as a way to repurpose leftovers from the day before. The mashed potatoes were added on top to make this dish more filling and satisfying.
How to Make this Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe?
- Today, we’re making it with ground beef. Not only is ground beef less expensive, but it also makes this casserole more flavorful for everyone to enjoy.
- Our recipe requires only a few easy steps, and it is not difficult at all.
- There are 2 layers in this casserole. The bottom layer is the meat and vegetable mixture and the top layer is the mashed potatoes.
- Serve with a simple fresh green salad on the side, and maybe some cheesy mini biscuits, and dinner is done!
Easy Directions… (*full recipe card below)
1. First, make the mashed potatoes, and set them aside.
2. Next, cook the onion and garlic with olive oil in a large skillet.
3. Add ground beef and seasonings. Crumble and cook the meat until browned, breaking it up into pieces with a wooden spoon.
4. Pour in the wine, and simmer until it reduces.
5. Add the frozen peas and carrots, tomato sauce, fresh parsley, and cornstarch. Simmer until the meat is reduced and the mixture is thick.
*QUICK NOTE: If you don’t have tomato sauce on hand, you can use tomato paste instead.
6. Transfer the meat and veggies mixture to a casserole dish.
7. Spoon on top with creamy mashed potatoes, and spread to cover the entire meat mixture.
8. Scatter on top with grated cheese, and slices of butter.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until it is golden on top and bubbling around the sides. Remove and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with some fresh parsley on top. Then serve.
Serves 6 to 8
WATCH our VIDEO! How to make Shepherd’s Pie? (1-minute)
Variations and Great Tips…
- If you prefer, you can try this recipe with ground turkey, chicken, or veal instead of beef.
- Also, if you need a larger casserole dish to increase the number of servings, then you can increase the ground beef to 1.5 pounds, and increase the potatoes as well.
- Keep in mind, the size of the casserole dish will determine how thick the layers will turn out.
- If you decide to bake it in a smaller baking dish, and the mashed potatoes are full to the top. We recommend placing the baking dish onto a baking sheet, in case of the potatoes overflow while baking.
- Always “taste” the food you cook. Give a taste to the mashies, and the meat mixture before transferring them into the baking dish and adjusting the seasoning, if needed.
Our Shepherd’s Pie Casserole will make an easy and delicious dinner.
It’s filling and satisfying – best of all, it is pure comfort food. Make it ahead the day before, chill it, then bake it in the oven.
An ideal dish to make for family and friends.
Try our recipe, …and Bon Appetit!
Additional recipes for easy and delicious dinners…
- Rice and Chicken Casserole
- Spinach Parmesan Rice Casserole
- Best Rice Ball Casserole Stuffed with Meat and Peas
- How to Make Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles (4 Easy Steps)
Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe is a classic combination of meat and potatoes. Loaded with a mixture of ground beef, peas, and carrots, topped with creamy mashed potatoes, and baked in an all-in-one delicious casserole. Serve with a fresh green salad on the side and dinner is complete.
FOR MASHED POTATOES:
- 4 large potatoes (or 5 to 6 medium-sized) cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup milk, and extra as needed
- 5 Tbsp. butter - divided
- 4 Tbsp. grated pecorino cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
FOR MEAT MIXTURE:
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 pound (16 ounces) of ground lean beef (about 90% lean)
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup white wine (or red wine)
- 3 Tbsp. of tomato sauce or tomato paste (anyone you have on hand)
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley - chopped, for garnish
MAKE THE MASHED POTATOES:
1. Toss the chopped potatoes in a pot and fill it with enough water to cover them. Bring the water to a full boil, and boil the potatoes for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until you can easily slide a fork through them. When potatoes are softened, drain and return them back to the pot.
2. Toss in the 4 tablespoons of butter and mash them with a potato masher. Pour in the milk, and continue to mash them until creamy smooth.
3. Next, stir in the pecorino cheese. Taste, and you can add some black pepper to taste. Set them aside.
MAKE THE MEAT & VEGETABLE MIXTURE:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. (180C). Lightly spray a 8 x 11 baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the onion and garlic with olive oil until softened. Add the ground beef and season it with salt, and black pepper. Cook the meat until its fully cooked and browned, breaking it up into pieces with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the frozen peas and carrots and a few tablespoons of tomato sauce to give it additional flavor. Add a dash of cayenne pepper and freshly chopped parsley and cornstarch. Stir to combine. Simmer for a few minutes until the mixture is thickened. Taste, and adjust the seasonings.
4. Transfer the meat and veggies mixture to a casserole dish. Spoon on top with creamy mashed potatoes, and spread it with the back of a spoon or spatula, to cover the entire meat mixture.
5. Scatter with 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese on top of the mashies, and then with a few slices of thinly sliced butter.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until it is golden on top and bubbling around the sides. Remove and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley on top. Then cut it into pieces.
yields: 6 to 8 servings
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 12.3gCarbohydrates: 36.9gFiber: 6.1gSugar: 5.1gProtein: 23.2g
Thanks for Pinning!
That’s it friends! Any questions? …ask away!
If you try our recipe for Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe, let us know and leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you. It helps everyone who reads them.
Also, snap a photo! ..Share it on Instagram or on Pinterest. We’d love to share them.
Don’t forget to enter your email in our “SUBSCRIBE BOX” and get our recipes “FREE” every time we post a new recipe and great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by… Have a great day!
Happy Cooking! 🙂
xo anna and liz