Spinach Parmesan Rice Casserole is an Italian recipe made with cooked rice, eggs, spinach, and parmesan cheese. A simple side or main dish loaded with spinach is delightfully tasty, satisfying, and comforting in every bite. Just another great way to get more spinach into your meals.
Spinach Parmesan Rice Casserole…
It’s no secret, we love our Italian rice balls. So when we decided to make them into a simple casserole, like this one, why not?
Only we decided to add in spinach for additional healthy greens. In addition, no bread crumbs are added, making it gluten-free.
It is nothing fancy, but very filling, and loaded with flavor!
Your family and friends will enjoy this delicious casserole as a side to serve at dinner, plus it offers enough leftovers for the week.
Ingredients Needed to make Spinach Parmesan Rice Casserole:
- 3 cups of “cooked” rice
- 11 ounces of fresh baby spinach
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- seasoning – salt and cayenne pepper
How To Make SPINACH PARMESAN RICE CASSEROLE?
1. FIRST STEP: Make the Rice… Follow the directions on the package. Simmer the rice in boiling water until all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the butter until it melts. Then set it aside.
Meantime, while the rice is cooking, it’s best to get started on the spinach!
2. SECOND STEP: Saute the Spinach… In a large skillet saute some garlic and onion with olive oil, until softened. Then toss in fresh baby spinach. Use kitchen tongs to turn over the spinach, and saute only until it wilts.
Transfer the spinach (with all its liquid) to a large mixing bowl, and chop the spinach, using two knives.
3. FINAL STEP: Mix all the Ingredients… Finally, add the remaining ingredients to the chopped spinach mixture and the cooked rice, and stir until well combined.
Transfer to your prepared baking dish, top with shredded mozzarella, and cover with foil wrap. Then follow our directions for baking in our recipe card below!
Cook’s NOTES and TIPS…
- Do not overbake, or it will dry it out.
- All ovens vary, so it is best to keep an eye on the casserole while baking.
- Bake it covered with foil wrap, to keep the rice moist. Then uncover in the final minutes to melt the cheese on top.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing…
To Make Ahead: If you want to make this casserole ahead and plan to freeze it, you will need to double wrap it tightly before freezing. It will freeze well for up to 1 month. Be sure to allow it to fully thaw before baking it. Then follow the directions in our recipe card.
To Store: Allow the casserole to cool down completely before covering it with aluminum foil (or clear wrap) and storing it in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
To Freeze: You can freeze leftovers for up to 1 month.
Tips and Variations…
- Try this casserole with different shredded cheeses, like gruyere, swiss, or provolone.
- Toss in additional veggies, like leftover sauteed mushrooms, or sauteed sweet peas with onions.
- Add some marinara sauce into the mixture, and about 1 cup or more. Tomato sauce always gives a boost of flavor.
- If you prefer, you can use brown rice instead of white rice.
Spinach, Parmesan, and Rice give this casserole its unique identity.
With 3 fabulous flavors and textures – spinach, parmesan cheese, and rice – it’s bound to be a crowd pleaser!
Thanks for Pinning!
Additional Delicious Casserole Recipes…
- Best Rice Ball Casserole Stuffed with Meats and Peas
- Drunken Baked Beans Casserole
- Rice and Chicken Casserole
- Ravioli Bake Casserole
A Few More Recipes for Spinach? … try these!
- Sauteed Spinach with Tomatoes
- Spinach and Cheese Squares
- Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna
- Carrot and Spinach Dip
- 3 cups of "cooked" rice
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves - diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 11 ounces fresh baby spinach - rinsed and drained
- 3 large eggs - lightly beaten
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese - divided
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella - divided
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. (180C). Lightly spray the bottom and sides of your 9 x 12 (or smaller, 8 x 11-inch) baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Cook the Rice: In a saucepot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Toss in 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Pour in 1 cup of uncooked white rice and cover with a lid. Lower the heat, and simmer the rice until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir the butter into the rice, until completely melted.
- Rinse Spinach: Meanwhile, rinse the spinach in a large bowl and drain it in a colander. Do not spin the spinach, you will need the extra moisture for this recipe.
- Cook the Spinach: Next, in a large skillet, heat olive oil and saute both garlic and chopped onion for about 3 minutes, until softened. Toss in the wet spinach and cover with a lid for about 1 minute. Uncover, and use kitchen tongs to stir the spinach until all complete wilts, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mixing Bowl: Transfer the spinach mixture will all the liquid to a mixing bowl and coarsely chop it, using two knives. Or you can chop it in your food processor. Add the cooked rice, eggs, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir with a large spoon to combine. Toss in 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese and 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella. Stir well to combine everything thoroughly.
- Pour the spinach and rice mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle on top with 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese and the remaining shredded mozzarella. Cover with foil wrap.
- BAKE: for 20 to 25 minutes. Then remove the foil wrap and continue to bake, uncovered, for additional 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted on top. Remove and set it aside to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Quick Note: 1 cup of uncooked rice cooked in 2 cups of water (or broth) = 3 cups of "cooked" rice.
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 14.4gCarbohydrates: 20.7gFiber: 1.3gSugar: .5gProtein: 11.7g
If you have any questions, ask away! Try our Italian version of Spinach Parmesan Rice Casserole? Then let us know and leave a comment below! Your comments are very helpful to everyone who reads them, and it helps us too.
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! …enter your email in our “SUBSCRIBE BOX” and be the first to get our recipes “FREE” every time we post and reminders of some great older ones too!
Enjoy and Happy Baking! 😉
xo anna and liz
|Serving size: 1 serving|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14.4g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 7.7g||39%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20.7g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5%|
|Total Sugars 0.5g|
|Vitamin D 10mcg||49%|