15 Freezable Dinner Casseroles for you to enjoy the holidays and even everyday meals for busy weeknights. These are delicious make-ahead meals and dinner casserole recipes for you to prepare, and freeze. From vegetarian casseroles to some of our favorites like lasagna, these are recipes that will surely please everyone!
What is a casserole?
A casserole (pronounced as Kas-au-role) is known as a classic American one-dish meal in which the food is prepared in a ceramic or glass Pyrex baking dish to solely bake and served family-style for dinner.
Not All Casseroles are Freezable…
- It all depends on what’s in it.
- Most casseroles that freeze well have chicken or ground beef, some sort of noodles, some vegetables, and sauce.
- But, anything with mashed potatoes would probably not freeze well (like a Shepherd’s Pie). Simply because there is milk in the mashies.
- Also, anything with mayonnaise (unless blended with another ingredient like sour cream).
- And, of course, any salad-type vegetables like lettuce, cucumbers, raw tomatoes. These contain too much water, don’t hold up when frozen, and will become very mushy.
Freeze Casseroles Before or After Baking?
- Some prefer to freeze before baking so they don’t dry out too much.
- While others will do just fine whether or not they’re baked before freezing.
- It’s best to remember to slightly undercook pasta and rice so they won’t get mushy once you bake the casserole.
QUICK TIP: Make-Ahead Meals and Freezer Foods become a lifesaver for many of us, it’s a good rule of thumb to try to double the recipes so we can have some on hand.
Here are 15 Freezable Casseroles for you to choose from. From one-dish dinner ideas to sides and more…
- Best Rice Ball Casserole Stuffed with Meat and Peas (+Video) ~ this is one of our most popular “all-in-one” delicious casseroles. With step-by-step, plus video to show you how to put together this casserole in about 1 hour. It never disappoints.
2. Baked Kale Broccoli Cauliflower Cheddar Casserole ~ is a simple take on my favorite mac and cheese casserole but with a twist! It’s made with veggies and without the mac! Only 10 minutes to prep! Then freeze! Best of all, it is gluten-free!
3. Ravioli Bake Casserole ~ is a ravioli lasagna with a shortcut to this delicious hearty meal using ravioli for layers of noodles. Plus, with a 10-minute prep and only 5 ingredients, this ravioli bake casserole is quick and effortless!
4. Rice and Chicken Casserole ~ is loaded with spinach, 3 kinds of cheese, and chicken, and it bakes in minutes. A hearty meal that comes together quickly and easily for dinner to get done.
5. Cauliflower Gratin Casserole Recipe ~ is loaded with a creamy cheese sauce, steamed cauliflower, and topped with a panko breadcrumb mixture. It is nothing short but delicious and totally satisfying!
6. Spinach Parmesan Rice Casserole ~is an Italian recipe made with cooked rice, eggs, spinach, and parmesan cheese. Similar ingredients to our Italian rice balls recipe, but without the bread crumbs – so it’s totally Gluten-Free!
7. Broccoli and Cheese Casserole ~ is loaded with broccoli and it is a delicious side dish to serve family and guests, and one they will keep coming back for more!
Our Favorite Lasagnas…
8. How To Make Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles (4 Easy-Steps) +VIDEO! A great meal to prepare, freeze, and leftovers freeze and reheat perfectly too… what’s not to love?!
9. Best Vegetable Lasagna ~ is made with 3 layers of fresh vegetables, zucchini, mushrooms, and spinach, smothered with a creamy tomato sauce, and topped with mozzarella cheese. DELICIOUS to say the least!
10. Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna ~ is packed with layers of no-boil noodles, chopped spinach, artichoke hearts, white cream sauce (known as béchamel), and shredded cheeses. YUM!
11. Homemade Lasagna with Vegetables (Eggplant & Spinach) ~ is loaded with layers of roasted eggplant, baby spinach, tomato sauce, and cheese. And it is divine!
A Simple Casserole for Breakfast or Brunch…
12. Spinach and Egg Breakfast Casserole ~ this is a savory Italian breakfast casserole loaded with egg whites, baby spinach, mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, and pancetta. Easy to make, bake and freeze!
13. Baked Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole ~ is made with simple ingredients, creating this low-calorie, keto-friendly, gluten-free casserole. Creamy and delicious, making it a wonderful side dish that complements any entrée!
14. Best Shrimp Mac and Cheese ~ if you’re craving Lobster Mac and Cheese but “lobster” doesn’t fit your budget? Then this is the perfect, and delicious option! Also, keep in mind, if you plan to freeze it, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat it in a 300F oven for 20-30 minutes.
15. Easy Stuffed Shells ~ is made with jumbo pasta shells stuffed with a cheese mixture and smothered with marinara sauce and baked. This casserole always disappears in a “flash” as soon as we put it on the table.
Make-Ahead, Storage, and Freeze Instructions…
- Can we Make it Ahead? You can assemble most of these casseroles in the baking dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 1 or 2 days before baking.
- How to Store Leftovers? Once the casserole is baked and cooled, store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- Can we Freeze These Casseroles? You can freeze most of these casseroles, either before baking it or after it has been baked and cooled. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and freeze.
- How Long to Freeze? All these casseroles will freeze well and for up to 1 to 2 months.
- How To Thaw? It’s best to thaw in the refrigerator, and overnight before baking or reheating in the oven.
- Finally, How To Reheat Leftovers? For reheating, use the oven, stove, or microwave. All 3 methods will work. For Oven: preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and reheat the food for about 10 to 15 minutes, and check until heated thoroughly. For Stove: place the food in a skillet, and reheat on low heat, until it is warm to your preference. For Microwave: Transfer the food into a microwave-friendly container. Heat at 1-minute intervals until it is fully reheated.
Additional Freezable Dinner Ideas…
- Pasta Alla Nonna
- Roasted Eggplant Meatballs (no meat!)
- Mom’s Sunday Meatballs
- 23+ Best Soup Recipes
- 5 Easy Quiche Recipes
- The Sunday Sauce (7-recipes!)
In case you missed it…
Most Popular Recipes This Week:
- Best Lobster Sauce
- Easy Shrimp Bisque
- Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup
- Best Traditional Hungarian Goulash
- Best Rice Ball Casserole Stuffed with Meat and Peas
- Baked Kale Broccoli Cauliflower Cheddar Casserole
- Ravioli Bake Casserole
- Rice and Chicken Casserole
- Cauliflower Gratin Casserole Recipe
- Spinach Parmesan Rice Casserole
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- How To Make Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles
- Best Vegetable Lasagna
- Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna
- Homemade Lasagna with Vegetables (Eggplant & Spinach)
- Spinach and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Baked Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- Best Shrimp Mac and Cheese
- Easy Stuffed Shells
- Choose your casserole recipe.
- Gather all the ingredients required for that recipe.
- Follow the directions on the recipe card and freeze for future dinners and meals.
Yield:6 to 9 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450
NEVER MISS our Recipes! Subscribe to 2 Sisters Recipes and get all new recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of some great older ones too!
Have a delicious day!
Thanks for stopping by!
xo anna and liz