Our Cauliflower Gratin Casserole Recipe is made with steamed sliced cauliflower and baked with a creamy cheese sauce that is nothing short but delicious and totally satisfying! A light, crispy panko-parmesan topping gives our cauliflower gratin the texture and flavor it deserves. The perfect side and one everyone will enjoy!
Our Cauliflower Gratin Casserole is great because…
- This recipe eliminates a few steps, making it quick and easy to put it all together and bake in 20 minutes.
- It is simple enough for a weeknight meal and impressive enough to serve guests.
- An ideal side – and easy enough… even for non-cooks!
Ingredients for Cauliflower Gratin Casserole…
Every dinner deserves a vegetable side, and this one allows you to prepare ahead, bake and reheat before serving.
CAULIFLOWER: When buying cauliflower, look for a large head without many leaves. You will need about 2 to 2.5 pounds for a 9 x 13 casserole baking dish.
CHEDDAR CHEESE: For this recipe, we prefer sharp cheddar cheese, and already shredded for easy prep.
PARMESAN CHEESE: We prefer grated Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese over any other brands. It offers the most health benefits and nutrients than any other brand of grated parmesan cheese.
HEAVY CREAM: Choose heavy cream, not whipping cream.
SEASONINGS: You will need some garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper for this recipe.
DIJON MUSTARD: Choose a jar of French “coarse” ground Dijon mustard. You will only need about 2 teaspoons, and it will enrich the flavors in the cheese sauce.
PANKO BREADCRUMBS: It’s best to choose Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs. Other brands of “so-called” panko are full of preservatives and unwanted additives.
FRESH PARSLEY: Choose fresh Italian parsley for the breadcrumb mixture and garnish before serving.
How to Make Cauliflower Gratin Casserole?
(*Full recipe card on the bottom)
1. Cut florets and slice the florets into discs or slices. Then boil or steam the cauliflower. Drain and transfer to the baking dish.
2. Make the cheese sauce. Then pour the cheese sauce directly over the cauliflower.
3. Make the panko and cheese mixture and scatter over the entire cauliflower and cheese sauce.
4. Then Bake for 20 minutes and serve.
- An ideal side to make ahead, bake, and reheat before serving.
- This gratin will completely hide the cauliflower flavor, making the “picky” eaters to be surprised after they taste it.
- You can use white cheddar cheese if you prefer, or a mixture of shredded cheeses.
- Before serving, top with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley or chopped chives over the gratin to enliven its appearance.
- Easy to store, freeze and reheat leftovers.
Your family and guests will LOVE our cauliflower gratin!
Loaded with cauliflower, and a delicious cheese sauce that is divine with every forkful. It’s low-carb, high in protein, and keto-friendly.
Try this recipe… it won’t disappoint!
Additional recipes for cauliflower…
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Wine and Cheese
- Pasta with Creamy Cauliflower
- Potato-Cauliflower Soup
- Cauliflower Kale Soup with crunchy kale topping
- Baked Cheese Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 large Cauliflower (about 2.5 pounds) - florets cut off the cord, then sliced into 1/2-inch discs or slices
- 1 + 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. of coarse ground Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt, (and extra to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C). Lightly spray your 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized pot, toss in the sliced cauliflower florets, and fill the pot with water, about 2 to 3 inches high. Place the pot on the stovetop and on high heat and cover it with a lid. Bring the water to a full boil.
- Boil the cauliflower for about 2 minutes. Cauliflower should be tender when pierced with a paring knife. When ready turn off the heat.
- Next, drain the cauliflower in a colander and transfer to your prepared baking dish, spread it evenly inside the dish. Set it aside.
MAKE THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Use a small saucepan and on low heat, pour in the heavy cream to warm the heavy cream. Add the Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and salt, and some fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- Toss in the cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Next, slowly pour the melted cheese mixture directly over the cauliflower in the baking dish.
MAKE THE CRISPY TOPPING:
1. In a small mixing bowl, stir together panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and parsley.
2. Use a spoon to scatter the breadcrumb mixture over the cauliflower evenly.
BAKE Cauliflower Gratin: for 18 to 20 minutes, until it's bubbly in the dish and golden on top.
Remove from oven and set it aside to rest for about 5 minutes. Then serve.
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 20.3gCarbohydrates: 10.1gFiber: 3gSugar: 2.9gProtein: 14.2g
Thanks for Pinning!
Hello friends! Any questions? ... ask away! If you make our cauliflower gratin casserole recipe, please let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes “FREE” every time we post!
Thanks for stopping by… and have a great day!
xo anna and liz