This is the season to buy asparagus and try our best Asparagus Au Gratin-Lightened! It takes 10 minutes to whip up, then it’s roasted or baked until tender. This asparagus gratin is low in calories and in carbs, keto-friendly, and insanely delicious! Super light, satisfying, and loaded with tons of flavor, makes this the perfect side to serve.
Most asparagus gratins are weighed down with a ton of cheeses, flour, and creams, making them loaded and high in calories and fat.
This asparagus au gratin is not weighed down with extra calories and ingredients. And yet, it is SO flavorful, everyone will enjoy asparagus prepared this way.
BUT, best of all – even you, “as the cook” … will LOVE this recipe, simply because it’s quick to make and bakes in minutes. 🙂
How to Make Asparagus Au Gratin-Lightened!
1. Simply rinsed the spears, cut off the ends and place them onto a prepared baking pan.
2. Next, scatter the cheese mixture along with the seasonings over them.
3. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top and scatter some pieces of chopped butter on top, and bake!
This simple technique of cooking asparagus not only makes a wonderful presentation, but it tastes FANTASTIC!
The flavor comes from the pecorino cheese mixed with bread crumbs. It’s what gives these spears their amazing texture and flavor.
Our mom always made it this way, and we continue to make her recipe for years.
I bet you didn’t know Italian cooking would be this easy…
…but it is!
WHY WE SHOULD BE EATING MORE ASPARAGUS!
A great source of nutrients, including fiber, folate, and loaded with vitamins A, C, and K.
Asparagus is considered among the family of ‘Superfoods.’
It even contains some protein.
Many health benefits, including help in weight loss, improved digestion and helps with bloating, and even lower blood pressure.
Thanks to their diuretic function, they help the cleansing process by activating the functions of the liver and kidneys that eliminate toxins from the body.
More Reasons to LOVE this Asparagus dish!
It’s low in calories.
Super easy to whip up.
SO tasty and flavorful!
A healthy vegetable side to serve the whole family.
Your family and friends will LOVE this Asparagus Au Gratin!
This is such a delicious dish, I bet your family will ask you to make it again. We make this one often, it’s our family’s favorite recipe for asparagus and we hope it will be yours too.
Finally, More Tasty ASPARAGUS Recipes!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 17 minutes
- 1 bunch of medium-size fresh asparagus
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. plain bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter - chopped
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F. (180 C)
- Line your baking pan with a single sheet of foil wrap, for easy cleanup. Lightly spray your foil with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, blend bread crumbs, grated cheese, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, some salt, and black pepper with a fork.
- Rinse, cut or snap the ends off the asparagus, about 1 inch from the bottom.
- Lay the asparagus in a single row on a baking pan. Sprinkle and scatter on top with the bread crumbs and cheese mixture. Drizzle olive oil over them. Then scatter with pieces of butter on top.
- BAKE, uncovered at 350 degrees, for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove and serve.
- Serves 4
Keep in mind, ovens will vary; therefore, baking time will vary depending on the size of your asparagus. So it's best to keep an eye on them while baking or roasting.