Fabulously delicious, this Creamy Asparagus Risotto is a quick and easy recipe brimming with fresh asparagus and Italian arborio rice. Simmered in one pot and ready in 20 minutes, makes this risotto a terrific dinner! Make it on the stove-top or in the Instant Pot, both methods are included.
Spring has arrived (yay!)… and what better way to help celebrate the new season with a delicious dish like this risotto.
Asparagus is a delicious vegetable and perfect this time of year. Since my family was craving risotto for dinner, I wanted to try making it even easier.
Call me lazy, but I made it different this time – skipping a few steps along the way.
The outcome? … it turned out Fantastic!
Fresh asparagus along with grated parmesan cheese and arborio rice are the main ingredients, and I made it in no-time.
And... SO can you! 😉
For this recipe, I decided to make it on a stove-top and even skipped a few steps. The traditional way of cooking risotto is very time-consuming. Not to mention, you can’t walk away from the stove, either.
Besides, whether you decide to make it in your Instant Pot, or on the stovetop, I think you’ll enjoy this easy method for years to come.
A classic Italian dish, risotto always makes a hearty meal.
This one is finished off with a touch of cream to give its rich and silky texture. It’s perfect.
And, I have to tell you, the outcome of this risotto turned out great.
Best of all, risotto is a healthy combination of protein, vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates which are often the need of the hour, and arborio rice can give you all that in one tasty dish.
Ingredients Needed for Creamy Asparagus Risotto…
To make this creamy asparagus risotto, you will need:
vegetable broth (optional)
grated Parmesan cheese
half & half cream
To Make this Risotto on Stove-Top:
1. For this recipe, just place the first 6 ingredients (hold the asparagus, grated cheese, and cream, they will go in last) into a medium-size pot.
2. Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil. Then give it a quick stir and cover again, but lower the heat to a low simmer, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. In the meantime, prep the asparagus, and chop it into bite-size pieces. When the rice has been cooking for 15 minutes, taste and season with salt and pepper. Then toss in the fresh asparagus. Continue to simmer on low heat for an additional 5 minutes. At this point, most of the liquid will have been absorbed.
4. Turn off heat. Stir in grated Parmesan cheese and Half & Half (or light cream) and continue to stir until the cream slightly thickens, about 1 to 2 minutes. Then serve!
To Make Risotto with Instant Pot:
Press “Saute” and heat butter and olive oil in Instant Pot. Add the garlic and saute the garlic until softened for about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the salt, cayenne pepper, and some black pepper to taste. Pour in the water and vegetable broth.
Secure the lid and move the pressure release valve to the “Sealing” position. Press “Pressure Cook” or ” Manual” and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes.
When cooking is complete, use the quick release.
Press “Saute” adjust the heat to low. Add in the asparagus and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the risotto reaches desired consistency, stirring often.
Stir in the parmesan cheese and cream until well blended. Serve immediately.
Quick Notes and Tips!
Risotto is best when it’s served immediately. If you wait too long, the moisture and cream will be absorbed into the rice and therefore, it will become less creamy and more sticky.
If the risotto is cooked on high heat, it will stick to the bottom of the pan. So keep in on the low flame is best.
Store any leftover risotto in a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze up to one month.
When reheating risotto, it’s best to transfer the amount you prefer then microwave it for 2 minutes, or so depending on how much you are reheating.
Or if reheating on the stovetop, it’s best to add a small amount of liquid, cream, broth, or water to the risotto, and reheat on low flame, stirring to your desired temperature.
Your family and friends will love this Creamy Asparagus Risotto as much as we do!
This is such a delicious dish. After you master making this easy version, I bet you’ll feel confident you can make any risotto you wish to make!
Finally, More Creamy, Delicious Risotto Recipes!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 Tbsp. butter - divided
- 3 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 10 to 15 thin asparagus spears, rinsed and ends cut off
- 2 to 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of Half & Half
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- dried parsley, as a garnish
- MAKE IT ON STOVE-TOP:
- In a medium-size pot, pour in the water, broth, Arborio rice, 2 tablespoons of butter, olive oil, and garlic, and a dash of cayenne pepper. COVER with a lid. Bring the liquid to a boil, give it a stir and lower the heat to simmer, and COVER again.
- Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes. Stirring once or twice.
- Meanwhile, chop the asparagus spears. Toss them into the rice mixture. Stir and cover and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes until BOTH the asparagus and rice are tender. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir in the half-and-half and the remaining tablespoon of butter. Turn off the heat. Finally, stir in the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve into individual dinner plates, sprinkle with some dried parsley flakes as a garnish and serve immediately. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
- Serves 4
Make This Risotto with the INSTANT POT:
1. Press "Saute" and heat butter and olive oil in Instant Pot. Add the garlic and saute the garlic until softened for about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the salt, cayenne pepper, and some black pepper to taste. Pour in the water and vegetable broth.
2. Secure the lid and move the pressure release valve to the "Sealing" position. Press "Pressure Cook" or " Manual" and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes.
3. When cooking is complete, use the quick release.
4. Press "Saute" adjust the heat to low. Add in the asparagus and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the risotto reaches desired consistency, stirring often.
5. Finally, stir in the parmesan cheese and cream until well blended. Serve immediately.
Storing and Freezing:
Store any leftovers in a sealed container and it will stay fresh up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Risotto freezes well for up to one month.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 18gCholesterol: 29mgCarbohydrates: 39.5gFiber: 1.4gProtein: 5.1g
…Thanks for PINNING!
In case you missed it…
Most Popular Recipes of the Week:
Have a great day everyone!
If you try our recipe for creamy asparagus risotto, let us know and leave a comment! Have fun and snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest. We’d love to see what you cook!
Enter your email in our “Weekly NEWSLETTER” Subscribe Box and get our recipes FREE every time we post! This recipe is original.
For more delicious dinner ideas, follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz