Oven-Baked Brisket is a beef brisket slowly baked with red wine, onions, green peppers, and au jus gravy until the meat is tender and falls apart. Super easy, positively delicious, and very impressive, with minimal prep, plus, you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy your day! Oven-baked brisket is a savory and flavorful dish for the whole family.
What to serve with our Oven-Baked Brisket?
Our delicious savory gravy goes perfectly over the meat. Plus, it makes enough gravy to spoon over any sides you may serve next to it.
Here are some sides that go perfectly with our brisket: Mom’s Best Mashed Potato Pie, Easy Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Baby Red and Yukon Potatoes, and or our Best Creamy Mashed Potatoes.
Making beef brisket is one of those dishes we enjoy during the chilly season, especially when it is the kind of recipe you can throw everything together, and forget about it for hours.
You can bake brisket easily in the oven and let it slowly cook for a few hours, or you can easily use this same recipe with your slow cooker.
It’s easy to prepare and it makes a delicious dinner, and a great dish to make on any weekend. You’ll even have plenty of leftovers for the week.
Ingredient for Oven-Baked Brisket:
With a few basic ingredients, this brisket will tenderize and become a flavorful dish that is juicy and tender. For this oven-baked brisket recipe, you will need:
Beef Brisket: the amount of brisket needed will depend on how many people you will be serving. We recommend at least half a pound per person. The brisket will shrink in size while cooking.
Seasonings: a generous amount of salt, pepper, and garlic powder is all you will need.
Fresh Herbs: a generous amount of fresh thyme is preferred. Using fresh herbs makes a huge difference in flavor.
Wine: a generous amount of red wine is used in this brisket recipe. It creates a very savory gravy.
Vegetables: 2 green peppers and 2 large onions and some carrots are needed to make this fabulous gravy.
One packet of Au Jus Gravy Mix: is mixed with water and added to the brisket to enhance the gravy, while it tenderizes the meat.
Here’s a Tip:
Most briskets come with a lot of fat on the bottom. I prefer to trim some of that fat off especially where it’s too thick.
Most will disagree with me about trimming some of the fat. But I think it makes a huge difference every time I do it. The meat always turns out super tender and so tasty every time, and it never disappoints!
How to Make OVEN-BAKED BRISKET:
1. First, if the brisket has a very thick layer of fat on the bottom, I trim some of it off and discard it. No need to have all that extra grease in your gravy.
2. Next, I prefer to brown the meat first in the oven, baking it for about 30 minutes without adding any vegetables or liquids.
3. Then add in all the rest of the ingredients, cover with foil wrap and bake it for several hours.
TIPS For Success!
This beef brisket gets baked on low heat and it is cooked slowly in the oven until it’s tender and ready to serve.
To help speed up things, I always use an electric mini chopper to finely chop the green peppers and onions. It saves a lot of time in the prep work.
In the last 45 minutes, I decided to toss in some chopped carrots. The carrots sweeten the gravy even more while they cook to a delicious texture and you can serve them alongside the meat.
Keep in mind, if you don’t have any or don’t care for carrots, it’s OK to leave them out. It’s not a deal-breaker.
The key ingredients to making our amazing and flavorful gravy are green peppers and onions.
While baking, these vegetables completely melt and dissolves into the liquid, creating an amazing flavorful gravy to pour over the meat when it’s done.
Plus, there’s plenty of gravy to soak up some of the sides. YUM!
Best of all, while it’s cooking, the aroma makes the entire house smell amazing! The brisket will always turn out fork-tender and SO tasty every time!
Storing and Reheating…
While this dish is best cooked and enjoyed the day you make it, it can be made one day ahead and reheated.
As long as you slice the brisket and store it in a large container, with enough gravy poured over it to keep it moist.
Then reserve the remaining gravy in another container to reheat that when ready to serve.
… Thanks for Pinning!
Serve it with our homemade Cheesy Mini Biscuits and maybe our Drunken Baked Beans Casserole and dinner is done!
Also, try a similar recipe for your slow cooker, our Savory Slow Cooked Beef Brisket!
I have been making this oven-baked brisket for years, and my family enjoys it every time! You will love this recipe and think it’s probably the best brisket you have ever eaten!
Finally More Comfort Recipes…
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 hours
Total Time 5 hours 15 minutes
- 1 boneless beef brisket (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- salt, black pepper, and garlic powder
- bunch sprigs of fresh thyme (about 10-12)
- 2 large green peppers - cord and seeds removed
- 2 large onions
- 1 + 1/2 cups red wine
- 5-6 carrots- peeled, chopped
- 1 package of McCormick Au Jus gravy mix
- 3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (163C).
- Open the package of beef brisket and trim and discard excess fat with a sharp knife or kitchen scissors. Lay the brisket into a large, deep roasting pan with its fat side on the bottom.
- Season on top generously with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Scatter with fresh garlic cloves, sprigs of thyme and drizzle with olive oil on top. Set aside and allow the meat to warm up to room temperature, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake brisket in the oven (uncovered) and on the middle rack for 30 minutes to brown the meat.
- Meantime, prep the vegetables. Using an electric mini chopper or food processor, add the chopped green peppers and onions and finely chop them. Set them aside. Then chop the carrots.
- Mix one package of au jus gravy mix with 3 cups of water and stir until it's completely dissolved.
- Remove Brisket from the oven, and pour in red wine, au jus gravy, the remaining cup of water, and scatter the green peppers and onions mixture. Cover with foil wrap.
- Lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees F (135C). Return brisket to the oven.
- Bake the brisket for 5 hours, one hour per pound. In the last hour of baking, toss in the carrots, cover again and continue to finish baking for the last hour. Brisket is done when a fork can easily slide through the meat.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Trim off any excess fat on the bottom, and discard. Slice the meat thinly against the grain. The meat will be so tender, it may fall apart as you slice.
- Transfer slices of brisket onto a deep serving platter, spoon gravy, and carrots around the meat.
- Ladle the gravy over the meat and serve.
- Serves 6 to 8
If you try our oven-baked brisket recipe, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating below! Or, snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram and on Pinterest; be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes.com We’d love to see what you cook!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes FREE every time we post! For more delicious ideas, follow us on Facebook and Twitter too! This is a family recipe and original.
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!