Easy Veal Stew with Wine, Peas and Carrots. Today, we decided to cook Mom’s delicious Veal Stew! Tender, juicy, and full of flavor, her veal stew is made with chunks of lean veal, white wine, onions, carrots, and peas. The veal always turns out incredibly moist and tender, so you won’t need to use a knife.
It’s a very light stew and one that practically melts-in-your-mouth because it’s simmered in wine which enriches the flavors of the carrots and peas together, making this an all-in-one meal so deliciously amazing!
Stews are always so comforting and nourishing. They make a perfect meal after a long day, and they’re very practical for a weeknight dinner.
Like most stews, they get better the longer they sit, so we always make enough for two nights so we can enjoy it, even more, the second time.
Mom prepares this dish in 40 minutes and even less using only a few ingredients.
TIP for SUCCESS!
One thing she does recommend when shopping for the veal is to buy the veal from your local butcher rather than at the supermarket.
You pay a little more, but you’re getting a higher quality of veal which comes from the leg of the animal (which is more tender) rather than the neck or shoulder which is what most supermarket sells. Because it’s a fattier veal, and you will need to cook it much longer to get it as moist and tender.
Veal stew with peas and carrots is a very satisfying meal. You can also serve it with a side of egg noodles, steamed rice, or just plain crusty bread to dip in the juices. Don’t forget some chilled white wine!
*You can follow along below with our simple directions, or jump down to the bottom for our full recipe card.
Ingredients Needed for EASY Veal Stew with Wine, Peas, and Carrots:
2 pounds lean veal chunks (for stew)
1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
1 large onion – chopped
3/4 cup white wine
1 tsp. salt- divided
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cups vegetable or beef stock
1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepot, heat olive oil and butter on medium to high heat.
2. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
3. Season veal chunks with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place veal into the pot. Cook the veal and onions until the veal is brown and fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
4. Add cayenne pepper and wine. Simmer on low heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Open package of frozen peas and carrots, place them into a colander and rinse them under cool water.
6. When the wine has been reduced, add frozen peas and carrots, beef stock, and an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil.
7. Uncovered and simmer the veal stew for 15 to 20 minutes, until the liquid has reduced a little. Stir occasionally. Taste for stew and season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Allow the veal to sit within the broth for a few minutes.
8. Serve warm, with a side of whole-grain noodles or rice. Serves 4 to 6
More Tasty Recipes!