Moms Best Mashed Potato Pie, known as Gatto di Patate, is basically a Neapolitan potato pie recipe made with simple ingredients such as mashed potatoes, eggs, mozzarella, parmigiana and pecorino cheeses, butter, milk, and ham. A delicious recipe for those who love a great potato pie!
Ok, our moms best-mashed potato pie is not low in calories. However, it’s sooooo delicious and creamy–who cares!
Baked with pieces of cured ham and melted mozzarella mixed with mashed potatoes in a pie form, or as a casserole, your family and friends will be eating and going back for more!
The taste and texture of this baked potato pie are so light and creamy with a crispy crust on top! What’s not to love! It’s amazingly delicious!
Our potato pie is very similar to a potato croquette but without the frying!
Everyone loves Moms Best Mashed Potato Pie! Even the kids! We usually make this “Gatto” for gatherings with family and friends and it goes very quickly!
Even on a smaller scale, it’s a great recipe to whip up as an easy dish using your leftover mashed potatoes from the night before. Toss in some additional ingredients and mix until the mixture is creamy, then bake!
Moms Best Mashed Potato Pie makes a wonderful side dish for the holidays too!
Your family will love this potato pie. It is such a delicious dish! And I bet this casserole will be one of the first things that will disappear from your Thanksgiving or Christmas buffet. It’s a winner!!
Our recipe makes a large casserole, perfect to feed a crowd. It pairs perfectly with our mom’s best chicken piccata. And it reheats beautifully too!
Try this recipe! Today, this is still one of our favorite dishes and we hope it will be yours as well.
Cook’s Notes and Tips:
To get a creamier mixture from mashed potatoes, use an immersion hand-stick blender or a hand mixer. They work best. Then continue with the recipe.
You can omit the ham inside and it becomes a vegetarian version.
Also, you can divide the potato mixture into 2 smaller foil trays, bake them, then freeze the trays for future dinners.
When you need one, just take a tray out in the morning, allow it to defrost on the counter for several hours. When you get home from work, reheat in oven uncovered for 30 minutes, or until it’s well heated through.
See Our Full Recipe Card Below!
Ingredients for Moms Best Mashed Potato Pie:
For moms best-mashed potato pie, you will need:
5 lbs. Idaho potatoes – peeled then chopped
1/4 pound sliced Ham – chopped
1 (16oz) Mozzarella – chopped (you may use low-fat)
4 large whole eggs – lightly beaten
1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese – grated
1 cup Parmesan cheese – grated
1 cup of 1% low-fat milk
2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 stick butter – salted (we used Smart Balance Butter)
1 cup plain bread crumbs or GF bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
Directions to Moms Best Mashed Potato Pie:
1. Peel and chop potatoes. In a large pot of boiling water, add the potatoes and boil for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are softened. Drain in a colander. Place potatoes back into the pot.
2. Add the butter and mash the potatoes until well mashed.
Using an immersion hand-stick blender, or an electric hand mixer, and beat the potatoes to smooth and creamy texture for about 2 minutes. Stir in chopped mozzarella, milk, eggs, ham, and parsley.
Using a large spoon to mix well. Add the grated cheese and fresh ground pepper. Mix well again.
3. Using a 16-inch rectangular deep casserole pan, ceramic or stainless steel. Butter the bottom and sides of the pan. Scatter 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and shake the pan until the entire surface is covered with bread crumbs.
4. Pour the mashed potato mixture and spread evenly in the pan. Scatter some chopped pieces of butter on top. Scatter the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees. Uncovered, for ONE hour, or until the top is golden brown.
Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into square pieces.
Serves 8 to 12
You may enjoy these tasty casseroles too!
Don’t forget to PIN this one to your Sides Board!
Hello friends! Are you cooking or baking with us? If you make our Moms Best Mashed Potato Pie, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating in recipe card! Or snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram; be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes.
We’d love to see what you cook! 🙂
And for more delicious casseroles ideas, follow us on Pinterest.
Thanks for stopping by!
Anna and Liz
- 2 Sisters Recipes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s designed to provide a means for sites to earn commission fees by linking to amazon.com, with no extra cost to you! It helps pay for the cost of web hosting and services for our blog. We truly appreciate and thank you for all your support.