Easy Baked Ratatouille is a stew made with a mixture of vegetables and baked until they are tender and perfect! This recipe is low fat, gluten-free, vegan, and ridiculously delicious! Popularly known as a French classic vegetable stew, only this one is easier to make and bake!
This past summer we traveled with our family through the South of France, known as the Cote D`Azur which is famous for its glamorous beach resorts and divine French dishes like ratatouille, and pate, and many seafood dishes.
We had the pleasure of sampling authentic French ratatouille while on holiday. But rather than traveling to France to taste ratatouille, I decided to come up with an easier, healthy version for you to make in your own kitchen.
So what is RATATOUILLE?
Ratatouille (pronounced as “rat-tah-too-ee”) is a French recipe that is typically a vegetable stew made with end-of-the-summer vegetables. Ratatouille is traditionally slowly cooked on a stove-top, fried, or stewed in oil. And, it can be eaten warm or cold and serves as perfect leftovers.
But our version makes a delicious vegetable side that couldn’t be easier to make! Ratatouille is a blend of zucchini, eggplants, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and baked with olive oil, and herbs to create a rich flavorful side dish.
This is SO much easier than the traditional method of standing over a hot stove for a long period of time.
When you bake ratatouille, it offers the same flavors with caramelized vegetables. Plus it’s more convenient with less labor, and it doesn’t compromise flavor!
Ingredients for our Easy Baked Ratatouille:
To make this homemade ratatouille, you will need:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: good-quality is preferred.
Zucchini: 3 medium-size zucchini, skins lightly scraped with a knife.
Eggplant: 1 small or medium size will suffice.
Red Pepper: 1 red bell pepper is enough. Don’t want to overpower the others.
Fresh Tomatoes: 2 medium-size ripe tomatoes are essential in this recipe. And you can toss in a few more if you prefer.
Onions: 2 medium size onions, finely chopped.
Garlic: 2 to 3 teaspoons of minced garlic, from a jar, is fine, or 4 cloves minced.
Seasonings: some salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and some Italian seasonings mix is enough to give a lot of flavors.
Butter: is optional, but not necessary.
Vegetables are huge in our family and there’s nothing better than making a large platter loaded with baked vegetables.
Plus, it’s a perfect make-ahead dish, reheats beautifully. And leftovers are even better the next day!
Serve it with meat, seafood, or eat it alone with some crusty bread. It’s just that good. We love it even more with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese over it.
So Let’s Make This Baked RATATOUILLE!
To make this baked ratatouille, simply:
1. Prepare your baking pan: first, drizzle on the bottom of the pan with some olive oil, about 3 tablespoons. And turn on your oven to Bake at 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C).
2. Chop all the vegetables: bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes chopped into 1/2-inch to 1-inch pieces. Then chop onions or dice is fine.
3. Toss in all the seasonings: mix with two large spoons.
4. Bake: for about 25 to 30 minutes, then turn vegetables over and bake for a few minutes more. Then turn off the oven and allow the vegetables to stay in the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes (while the oven is off). This will allow the vegetables to slowly caramelize on their own for a rich, savory flavor.
What To Serve With Ratatouille:
This baked ratatouille would be delicious when served with:
Or eat alone with some crusty bread.
… Thanks for Pinning!
Just A Few More Reasons To Love Ratatouille:
Of course, serve it as a side dish with your favorite entree.
Make a delicious appetizer and serve over sliced toasted baguette.
Toss some over your favorite pasta or steamed rice for an easy weeknight dinner.
Stir leftovers into some eggs and make a quiche or an omelet for breakfast.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 3 medium zucchini - chopped
- 1 small or medium eggplant - chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - seeds removed and chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes - chopped
- 2 medium onions - chopped
- 2 to 3 tsp. minced garlic (about 4 garlic cloves)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. red crushed pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Italian seasonings
- handful freshly chopped basil
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the bottom of a large roasting pan. Toss in all the chopped vegetables and all the seasonings including fresh basil. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil over them.
- Then grab two large wooden spoons to toss everything together until well combined.
- BAKE on the middle rack of the oven, for 25 to 30 minutes. Then carefully pull out the pan and take a spatula to turn the vegetables over, so they will cook evenly. Return them back to the oven and continue to bake for additional 10 minutes. Then TURN OFF the oven.
- Leave the vegetables in the oven for additional 10 minutes. They will continue to cook in the oven even when the oven is turned off.
- Vegetables should be softened, then remove from oven and taste. If the vegetables need more seasonings, adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve warm.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
If you make our delicious baked ratatouille, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating! We’d love to hear from you. Sharing your insights and experiences helps everyone who reads them, and helps us too!
For more delicious recipes…
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Weekly Newsletter Box’ and be the first to get new recipes every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
HAPPY Baking! 🙂
xo Anna and Liz