Baked Ratatouille is a classic and versatile dish that is bound to impress an array of family and friends including gluten free and vegan folks. This summer we traveled through the South of France and sampled authentic French ratatouille while on holiday. Rather than advising you to travel to France and tasting worldwide ratatouille, I decided to come up with my own recipe so you can cook this delicious dish in the comfort of your own home.
So what is RATATOUILLE?
Baked Ratatouille is a delicious medley of fresh vegetables: zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and onions and baked until they are softened with olive oil and herbs for a rich flavorful side dish.
In case this recipe is new to you, ratatouille (pronounced as: rat-tah-too-ee) is a classic French recipe which is typically a vegetable stew made with end-of-the-summer vegetables. Ratatouille is slowly cooked on stove-top, fried or stewed in oil. It can be eaten warm or cold and serves as perfect leftovers.
This recipe for ratatouille is a little different because it’s baked in the oven not cooked on stove-top.
When you bake ratatouille, it is far more convenient and offers the same flavors with these caramelized vegetables, rather than the more traditional version standing over a stove for a long period of time.
Vegetables are huge in our family and there’s nothing better than making a large platter loaded with baked vegetables.
Baked ratatouille happens to be an easier recipe. This recipe may be less labor, but it doesn’t compromise flavor!
Plus, it’s a great make-ahead recipe and leftovers are even better the next day.
Serve it with meat, seafood, or eat it alone with some crusty bread. It’s just that good. We love it even more with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese over it.
Ingredients Needed for Baked Ratatouille:
To make this homemade ratatouille, you will need:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: good-quality is preferred.
Zucchini: 3 medium size zucchini, skins lightly scraped with a knife.
Eggplant: 1 small or medium size will suffice.
Red Pepper: 1 red bell pepper is enough. Don’t want to over power the others.
Fresh Tomatoes: 2 medium size ripe tomatoes are essential in this recipe. And you can toss in a few more if you prefer.
Onions: 2 medium size onions, finely chopped.
Garlic: 2 to 3 teaspoons of minced garlic, from a jar is fine, or 4 cloves minced.
Seasonings: some salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and some Italian seasonings mix is enough to give a lot of flavor.
Butter: is optional, but not necessary.
Let’s Make This Baked RATATOUILLE!
To make this baked ratatouille, simply:
1. Prepare your baking pan: first, drizzle on the bottom of the pan with some olive oil, about 3 tablespoons. And turn on your oven to Bake for at 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C).
2. Chop all the vegetables: bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes chopped into 1/2-inch to 1-inch pieces. Then chop onions or dice is fine.
3. Toss in all the seasonings: mix with two large spoons.
4. Bake: for about 25 to 30 minutes, then turn vegetables over and bake for a few minutes more. Then turn off the oven and allow the vegetables to stay in the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes (while oven is off). This will allow the vegetables to slowly caramelize on their own for a rich, savory flavor.
What To Serve With Ratatouille:
This baked ratatouille would be delicious when served with:
Or eat alone with some crusty bread.
Just A Few More Reasons To Love Ratatouille:
Of course, serve it as a side dish with your favorite entree.
Make a delicious appetizer and serve over sliced toasted baguette.
Toss some over your favorite pasta or steamed rice for an easy weeknight dinner.
Stir leftovers into some eggs and make a quiche or an omelet for breakfast.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 3 medium zucchini - chopped
- 1 small or medium eggplant - chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - seeds removed and chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes - chopped
- 2 medium onions - chopped
- 2 to 3 tsp. minced garlic (about 4 garlic cloves)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. red crushed pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Italian seasonings
- handful freshly chopped basil
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the bottom of a large roasting pan. Toss in all the chopped vegetables and all the seasonings including fresh basil. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil over them.
- Then grab two large wooden spoons to toss everything together until well combined.
- BAKE on the middle rack of the oven, for 25 to 30 minutes. Then carefully pull out the pan and take a spatula to turn the vegetables over, so they will cook evenly. Return them back to the oven and continue to bake for additional 10 minutes. Then TURN OFF the oven.
- Leave the vegetables in the oven for additional 10 minutes. They will continue to cook in the oven even when the oven is turned off.
- Vegetables should be softened, then remove from oven and taste. If the vegetables need more seasonings, adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve warm.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Any questions, ask away! Did you make this recipe? Let us know how your ratatouille turns out and leave a comment and a star rating below!
Share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest if you like. We love to share your photos and see what you cook!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Anna and Liz