Baked Flounder Filet Oreganata – Lightened! Flounder filet is a white fish, that has a soft, flaky moist texture that melts in your mouth with every bite when it’s baked in a bath of wine and lemon juices. Flounder Filet Oreganata is our mom’s recipe which we lightened up to reduce some of the fat and calories.
What is Flounder Filet Oreganata?
- This recipe is an Italian style of cooking flounder. The name “oreganata” means in Italian, the addition of oregano, which is added to the bread crumb mixture.
- But, in this recipe, we did not use the herb “oregano,” simply because this is our mom’s original recipe and she disliked the flavor of oregano with seafood.
- Nevertheless, this baked flounder filet oreganata is still AMAZING and SO delicious tasting, even without the oregano!
How is Flounder compared to other fishes?
Flounder Filet is a delicate, white meat fish. It is a very Iean, and flaky fish with a mild flavor, ranging from bland to sweet. Flounders like halibuts are leaner fish.
The flounder is a healthy saltwater fish. It’s a mild, white fish with a similar texture to tilapia but it is high in vitamin B12 and contains omega-3 fats.
Our Mom’s Recipes for Seafood…
Growing up, seafood was always on the menu for Friday dinners during the year.
As a small child, I remember standing by the front door while Mom would go out and pick fresh fish from the back of a red pick-up truck which was filled with crushed ice.
It was always on a Friday the fishmonger would drive by the neighborhood to sell seafood to everyone on the block from the back of his truck that was filled with ice and an assortment of fresh seafood.
Nowadays, seafood sales are more regulated so we drive to a local seafood market to buy our seafood.
Some things have changed, but one thing sure hasn’t – that we love seafood and it’s usually served on Fridays during the year in our home.
How To Make Baked Flounder Filet Oreganata -Lightened?
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 fillets of flounder (16-ounces, 1 pound)
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- fresh garlic and garlic powder
- plain bread crumbs
- grated parmesan cheese
- white wine
- seasonings – salt, black pepper, cayenne, and dried parsley
Directions to Make Flounder Filet Oreganata: (*full recipe card below!)
1. First, open the package of your fish and preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190.6 C).
2. In a 9 x 6 baking dish, or a 9 x 13 baking dish, spray generously with cooking spray.
3. Lay the flounder fillets into the dish.
4. Scatter all the dry seasonings, bread crumbs, grated cheese, and minced garlic on top of each flounder. Add some sea salt and black pepper on top. Drizzle each flounder with extra virgin olive oil.
5. Slowly pour the white wine and 1/2 of a lemon juiced around the fish, not directly on top.
*Save and reserve the other half of lemon juice to add in just before serving.
6. Then bake uncovered, for 20 to 22 minutes.
7. Remove from oven. Pour the other half of lemon juice on top of the filets. Allow the juices to absorb into the fish, and cool down for 2 minutes. Then serve.
Options For Sides… with Baked Flounder Filet Oreganata…
This recipe is perfect and can be served with endless side dishes, try these:
- sweet garden peas with onions and capers
- garlic mashed potatoes
- roasted baby red and Yukon potatoes
- zucchini sticks oreganata
- sauteed green beans with onions
Baked Flounder Filet Oreganata Lightened is so light, tasty, and loaded with flavor! Plus, you will be amazed at how moist this fish turns out. A great dinner to serve during busy weeknights.
We love this recipe for flounder filet and we hope you will too!
Best of all, one serving is 198 calories!!
Have a great day everyone! 🙂
… Thanks for Pinning!
You may enjoy these seafood recipes as well…
- 1 pound (16-ounces) fresh flounder filets (about 2 large filets)
- 1 garlic clove- minced
- 1 lemon - juiced
- 3 Tbsp. plain bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. organic garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- vegetable cooking spray oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- In a 9 x 6 baking dish, or a 9 x 13 baking dish, spray generously with cooking spray.
- Lay the flounder fillets into the dish, side by side.
- Scatter all the dry seasonings, bread crumbs, grated cheese, and minced garlic on top of each flounder. Add some sea salt and black pepper on top.
- Drizzle each flounder with extra virgin olive oil.
- Gently pour the white wine and 1/2 of a lemon juiced around the fish, not directly on top.
- Save and reserve the other half of lemon juice to add in just before serving.
- Bake uncovered, for 20 to 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Pour the other half of lemon juice on top of the filets. Allow the juices to absorb into the fish, and cool down for 2 minutes. Then serve.
- Serves 2 to 4
Yield:2 to 4 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 5.5gCarbohydrates: 4.6gProtein: 28.3g