Flounder Filet Rollatini. Slices of flounder filets are lightly coated in egg and bread crumbs and stuffed with pesto sauce, provolone cheese, and rolled up into a rollatini, then baked until golden brown. YUM! These flounder rollatini’s are simple but incredibly flavorful, and will transform everyday flounder fillets into something spectacular!
You can serve these Flounder Filet Rollatini with a crisp green salad, and a side of spaghetti tossed with additional pesto sauce.
It’s an easy seafood dinner and an ideal one for a busy weeknight, or a rainy day, and fancy enough to serve at a dinner party.
Best of all – it’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
Flounder filet is a white fish with a moist, flaky texture that melts in your mouth with every bite.
And, baked flounder fish = healthier!
Keep it simple.
- Stuffing flounder filets with fresh pesto sauce and cheese will enhance and add lovely flavors to the fish.
- Here, I used provolone cheese, but you can use mozzarella cheese instead. I can tell you both kinds of cheese will give a delicious taste to the fish.
- My inspiration for this recipe came from one of our loyal followers who wrote me to tell me she made one of my chicken rollatini recipes using flounder filet fish instead of chicken.
- And it turned out fantastic!
Here’s an Excellent Tip…
Pesto Sauce is something we make all year long and keep in a mason jar and chill in the fridge.
These days, pesto sauce is widely used as a wonderful condiment, and for so many recipes, adding to sandwiches, soups, chicken, fish dishes, and more.
How to Make Flounder Filet Rollatini? (*full recipe card below!)
To make our flounder rollatini, there are 3 easy steps:
Step 1: Prepare the flounder ingredient in either bowls or breading trays. Dip each filet into the egg mixture and bread the filets and transfer them to the baking sheet.
Step 2: Stuff each one with a heaping tablespoon of pesto sauce, and some slices of cheese.
Step 3: Pick up one end and roll them up. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over them. Place each seam-side down. Then bake.
Cook’s Notes and Tips…
- The filets will not be exactly the same size or shape, and that’s ok.
- When stuffing these fillets, don’t worry if the cheese overlaps a little, it will melt and still be delicious.
- I prefer to drizzle some olive oil over the filets before they bake, to keep them moist.
- You can also, lightly spray over the filets with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray to keep them moist.
- Give a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice on top of each rollatini when serving. It’s the best!
- Do not overbake them, or they will turn out dry.
Your family and friends will love this recipe for our Flounder Filet Rollatini.
I bet they will ask you to make them again. This recipe is simple, easy, and positively delicious!
Also, in case you need a great recipe for pesto sauce, here is our mom’s recipe for Fresh Basil Pesto Sauce, just remember to omit the nuts.
Hope you’ll try this recipe!
… thanks for PINNING!
Do you love Flounder? then try these…
- 1 pound of thinly sliced flounder filets, (about 5 to 7 slices)
- 2 eggs- lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- dash of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1/4 pound of sliced provolone cheese
- Fresh Basil Pesto Sauce
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Lightly spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Using 3 Breading Trays ( as shown below), in the first tray, lightly beat eggs and milk.
- In the second tray, combine bread crumbs, both grated cheeses, parsley, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Transfer each breaded flounder filet onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place one or two slices of cheese on top (you can cut the cheese in halves to fit better) then spoon some pesto sauce on top.
- Roll each filet and set them down with seam side down. Lightly drizzle with olive oil over them to help keep them moist while baking. Or you can spray them with olive oil cooking spray,
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cooking times may vary slightly depending on oven. Remove and transfer to a serving platter and serve.
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
- Serves 4 to 5