Mom’s Best Zucchini Omelet is a tasty, savory omelet loaded with caramelized onions, zucchini, eggs, and grated cheeses. A light meal, this omelet is very healthy, no-fuss to make, and perfect to serve for breakfast, lunch, brunch, and even dinner.
Omelet also called ‘Frittata,’ was a common meal growing up. Eggs weren’t just for breakfast in our house.
In fact, making omelets was always a staple dish at least once every week. Our mom always made omelets for dinner often.
She even had a genius way of turning leftovers, from the night before into a meal the next day with just a few eggs and some grated cheese.
Always creating something new! And, as always, in an omelet.
Only this recipe for our mom’s best zucchini omelet is made fresh!
Loaded with zucchini, onions, and cheese, mom’s best zucchini omelet is comforting and decadent with its light and moist texture.
This one literally melts in your mouth with every bite.
What You Need to Make This Zucchini Omelet!
For our Mom’s Best Zucchini Omelet, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 medium-size zucchini
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion
- dried parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 whole eggs
- grated pecorino cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- and one large-size skillet
Three Easy Steps to Make Moms Best Zucchini Omelet:
1. First, the onions are first sauteed in a skillet until they are softened, then simmered along with chopped zucchini until both are fully softened and caramelized.
2. Next, the zucchini mixture is blended with eggs, grated parmesan, and pecorino cheeses and poured into the same skillet (no need to dirty another skillet) and simmered on low heat until the omelet is firm on the bottom.
3. Once the bottom of the omelet has turned golden brown and is firm, then it is time to flip it over!
COOK’s TIP: Use a spatula to peek under the omelet, to see it is golden brown, and lightly shake the skillet. The center should be slightly firm and less runny. (see my notes below)
4. Hold the plate down over the skillet, flip it over to the other side to finish cooking for a few minutes more. Transfer to a serving plate. Slice the omelet into pieces and serve!
HOW TO FLIP OVER THE OMELET WHEN READY?
First – Place a dinner plate, the same size as a skillet, or one that will fit inside and place it over the omelet (as shown in the photo).
Second – Next, place your hand on top the plate and hold it down. Then you lift the skillet and flip the omelet onto the plate.
Third – Finally, slowly slide the omelet back into the skillet, and continue to simmer to finish cooking.
Omelets are so versatile, you can make your own variations, adding different vegetables and cheeses.
- Make them thin or make them thick, it will depend on the size of the skillet you use.
- Toss in leftover roasted vegetables from the night before.
- Try other cheeses like shredded gruyere, or mozzarella.
Either way, omelets work so well especially when you need a quick meal or an extra side dish.
Mom’s Best Zucchini Omelet is perfect to serve as a light meal for any time of the day, especially when you want one that is completely meatless.
Ok, now is the time to pin it, or save, print, tag, or even bookmark this recipe! Whatever you prefer!
… and thanks for Pinning!
More Tasty Gluten-Free Recipes!
- Spinach and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Hash Browns Breakfast
- Mom’s Easy Potato Omelet
- Beet Spinach Protein Smoothie
Finally, more Zucchini Recipes!
- 10 Easy Garden Zucchini Recipes
- Lemon Zucchini Poppy Seed Muffins
- Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza Boats
- How To Grill Zucchini Perfectly
- Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini- chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 2 garlic cloves - sliced
- 1 large onion- chopped
- 1/4 tsp. dried parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 Tbsp. grated pecorino cheese
- 1 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- In a large or medium-size non-stick skillet, and on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, and chopped onions. Saute for about 2 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Add chopped zucchini and saute zucchini for a few minutes until the zucchini is cooked and softened, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly scramble 3 eggs in a mixing bowl. Transfer the zucchini into the eggs, add the grated cheeses and stir until well combined.
- Using the same skillet (and no need to clean it), heat on medium heat, and add the additional tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, gently pour in the egg and zucchini mixture and lower the heat to low. Gently shake the skillet to make sure the omelet isn't sticking to the bottom. Simmer on lowest heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or more if needed (it's a thicker omelet).
- Use a spatula and gently lift one side of the omelet to see if the eggs are golden brown, and not burning. When the eggs on the bottom are cooked (not loose or running).
- Then use a small plate, one that is about the same size of the skillet and turn it over and on top of the omelet, hold your hand on top of the plate and carefully flip over the omelet onto the plate. Then slide the omelet back into the skillet to finish cooking, additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and cut into pieces and serve.
- Yields: 2 to 3 servings
Yield:2 to 3 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 14.7gCarbohydrates: 10.1gFiber: 2.6gSugar: 4.7gProtein: 8.5g