Try these Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza Boats as your next no-carb meal! With only 5 ingredients, this is a fantastic, quick and easy, satisfying and perfect meal you can whip up in minutes. A recipe so simple, even your kids can join in the kitchen to help make these fun and yummy zucchini pepperoni pizza boats.
I guess there’s no shame in really loving zucchini boats. Even though I’m a pasta gal who loves carbs and her pasta.
And despite the hollowing, stuffing-topping-baking session, it is the easiest meal in the world to put together!
My family loves pepperoni pizza, so when my girls flew down to stay in Charleston for a while and requested a no-carb dinner, these zucchini pepperoni pizza boats came to mind – it was a no brainer.
So delicious! I could have eaten the entire thing. The crunchy texture on the bottom was perfect, with soft bites – just like a pizza!
Crazy right? That combination is a wonderful solution for a delicious way to enjoy your favorite pepperoni pizza without any carbs… whats-so-ever!
It’s filling is simply marinara sauce, grated cheese, shredded mozzarella and topped with pepperoni slices.
And, I have to tell you, I didn’t take photos the first time I made them, so I had to make a second small batch again the next morning just to get these photos for this post. Yep, I did.
I didn’t mind, I had them for lunch. 🙂
So let’s get started!
Ingredients Needed for Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza Boats:
seasonings, salt, and pepper
prepared marinara sauce
grated pecorino cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese (whole milk or part-skim)
*Full recipe card below!
To Make These Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza Boats:
1. You will need to rinse the nukes and then slice them lengthwise.
2. Then use a small spoon to scrape and scoop some of the flesh out to hollow out each one (see my notes about the flesh below).
3. Transfer zucchini to a baking dish.
4. Next, spoon some marinara sauce into each zucchini, then sprinkle with grated cheese and then with shredded mozzarella. There’s no need for exact measurements, more or less is fine.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F, for 15 minutes. Then remove them from the oven and top each zucchini with a few slices of pepperoni.
6. Finally, return them back to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes more. Remove from oven, transfer to a serving platter and now your scrumptious zucchini pepperoni pizza boats are ready to serve!
Cook’s Notes and Tips:
Do We Need to Scrape or Peel the Zucchini?
It not necessary to scrape or peel them, especially if they are organic. Give them a good rinse and slice them in halves. If they are not organic, I prefer to scrape the zucchini using a knife, rather than peel, it’s just faster and easier for me.
What To Do With the Remaining Flesh of the Zucchini?
You can use all that perfectly good zucchini flesh! I place the extra flesh into a sealed container and save it in the fridge, but I recommend using it within a few days.
I may chop the flesh and toss them into my soups. Or it’s perfect to use it with our recipe for death by chocolate zucchini muffins and our best zucchini bread, then you can freeze your baked goods!
Can We Use a Different Tomato Sauce?
Yes, you can! You can use your favorite meat sauce or any tomato sauce of your choice and even jarred sauce to make these zucchini pepperoni pizza boats. You may recall our older post for zucchini stuffed with bolognese and cheese. It too is fantastic!
More Tasty Zucchini Boats!
Your family will LOVE these zucchini pepperoni pizza boats!
This is such a delicious dish, I bet you will make these over and over again. For me, it made dinner a pleasure to put together. I served it with a green salad on the side. I think you should make it!
Finally, More Reasons to LOVE Zucchini!
Serving Size: 2 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152