Make this Healthy Butternut Squash Zucchini Soup for your next meal! It is a perfect combination of vegetables in a delicious broth and it makes plenty to feed a crowd. A flavorful autumn soup that will make everyone warm and happy. Best of all it’s vegan, low fat and low in calories.
Like most of our soup recipes, we always start with the basics by sauteing the vegetables before adding any liquids.
This method of sauteing the vegetables for a few minutes will build flavor while softening them. Once the liquid goes in you only need to simmer and stir the soup for 20 minutes and then serve.
There’s no need to add a lot of seasonings to make the broth flavorful. A good healthy bunch of chopped parsley, along with some salt, black pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper will do the job.
The only prep work involved is rinsing and chopping the vegetables. In order to save time and speed things up, you may be able to find the butternut squash already cubed for you in most supermarkets.
This butternut squash zucchini soup is made with water and flavored with carrots, celery, parsley and garlic. These vegetables make this soup very tasty and healthy for you!
Healthy butternut squash zucchini soup makes an easy meal for any day or occasion, and makes a great starter dish especially for this holiday season!
Ingredients and Notes for this Healthy Butternut Squash Zucchini Soup:
Olive Oil – extra virgin olive oil is preferred.
Garlic – 4 cloves sliced or minced. Garlic helps bring the flavors together.
Carrots – 4 medium size carrots, peeled and sliced. A must!
Celery – 4 stalks of celery sliced. Celery adds of lot of flavor.
Zucchini – you will need at least 3 to 4 medium size.
Butternut Squash – 3 to 4 cups cubed is plenty to give this soup its flavor and beautiful color. I always buy the containers of already cubed butternut in order to save lots of time.
Italian Parsley – a chopped handful is needed. I prefer fresh Italian parsley for this recipe.
Water – is the only liquid you will need, and only enough to cover the vegetables in the pot.
Seasonings – as with all our soups, some salt, black pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper will bring the flavors together. Just before serving, always taste the soup and adjust the seasonings if needed.
To Make this Butternut Squash Zucchini Soup, you will need to:
1. Saute all the vegetables together for 5 minutes with a little olive oil.
2. Next, pour in the water and cover with a lid; and bring to a boil.
3. Then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then serve.
Soup happens to be our ‘go-to-meals’ during the fall and winter months. It’s our favorite time of year when we can put on a cozy warm sweater, fuzzy slippers and cozy up on the couch with a bowl of warm soup.
It’s what we love about the fall!
Healthy Butternut Squash Zucchini soup is a lovely soup in all aspects. It’s beautiful fall colors of orange, amber and gold are reflected in this fall recipe. Make ahead, and it reheats wonderfully! And, freeze any leftovers for those lazy days too.
So let’s cozy up with a delicious bowl of warm soup!
Don’t forget to save this PIN to your Soup or Dinner Board!
Looking for more delicious soup recipes like this one? You may want to try some of these:
Rich and Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (dairy-free)
Healthy Butternut Squash Zucchini Soup
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Soup / Starter
Serves: 4 to 6
Healthy Butternut Squash Zucchini Soup is a perfect combination of vegetables in a delicious broth and it makes plenty to feed a crowd. A flavorful autumn soup that will make everyone warm and happy. Best of all it's vegan, low fat and low in calories.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves - sliced
- 4 carrots - peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks of celery- chopped
- 3 medium size zucchini - chopped
- 3 to 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- ½ cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 3 to 4 cups water
- dash cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse and clean all the vegetables, then chop.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oi on medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute garlic for about 1 minute.
- As you chop each vegetable, toss them into the pot with the garlic sauteing. Stir occasionally. Toss in chopped parsley too. Saute all the vegetables together on low heat, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 5 minutes, until all the vegetables are softened.
- Next, pour in 3 to 4 cups of water ( just enough water, same level as the vegetables), add in the salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and simmer soup for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the butternut squash and zucchini are tender and softened. If you need additional broth to this soup, just add in a little more water.
- Turn off heat, taste and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve in individual soup bowls. Serve warm..
- Yields: 4 to 6 servings
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3.6g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10.7g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||8%|
|Total Sugars 3.1g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition a|
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you make our healthy butternut squash zucchini soup, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below! Sharing your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps us too.
You may snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest if you like. We’d love to see what you cook and share your photos with the world! 🙂
Plus, NEVER MISS our recipes! Enter your email in our SUBSCRIBE BOX and get them FREE every time we post a recipe!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Anna and Liz