Butternut Squash Casserole with Artichokes and Peas is a dairy-free, healthy Mediterranean dish loaded with frozen artichoke hearts, frozen peas, garlic, rosemary, and butternut squash. This easy casserole will make the perfect side dish, add a splash of color to your plate, and will “wow” everyone who tastes it!
Italian cooking is easy and when it comes to making casseroles not all of them have to be loaded with cheeses and heavy cream. No need to add any extra fat or calories to this casserole.
Making this one completely Dairy-Free!! …yay!
In fact, this year, our goal is to not only simplify our cooking skills but to create dishes that are healthy without a lot of fuss.
This happens to be an ideal casserole for busy moms like me. I think it’s perfect for everyone.
Serve with our London Broil Steak Grilled To Perfection and a salad and dinner is done!
Also, our recipes for our Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese, or Parmesan Crusted Turkey Cutlets would go perfectly with this casserole as well.
How to make Butternut Squash Casserole?
This casserole requires little prep. No need to mash or puree anything. Just simply dump all the ingredients into a casserole baking dish and roast it in the oven for less than one hour.
I guarantee you will LOVE this butternut squash casserole, and it’s like no other casserole you have ever made.
Plus, it’s Vegan, Whole-30, Keto-Friendly, and totally delicious!
What You Need for this healthy Butternut Squash Casserole…
For our Butternut Squash Casserole with Artichokes and Peas, you will need:
butternut squash ~ about 4 cups chopped
frozen artichoke hearts ~ 1 package (12-ounces )
frozen baby peas ~ 2 cups
onion ~ 1 large, or 1 +1/2 cups chopped
garlic cloves ~ about 4 minced
extra virgin olive oil ~ 1/3 cup
6 seasonings ~ sea salt, Himalayan salt, dried rosemary, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper and black pepper.
optional: freshly chopped parsley
Directions to make this Butternut Squash Casserole…
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. ( 190.6 C).
2. Simply toss all the ingredients into a 9 x 12 baking dish.
3. Roast in the oven for the first 25 to 30 minutes, then turn over the vegetables to roast them evenly.
4. Continue to roast for additional 25 minutes, until the vegetables are golden and fork-tender.
Can we use frozen butternut squash?
Yes, I think you certainly can with this recipe. Look for already chopped butternut squash in the freezer section.
Ways to use leftovers (if any)…
Add some to your egg omelet for a delicious and healthy breakfast.
Boil some spinach ravioli and warm up these vegetables in a skillet and serve the vegetable medley over the ravioli, topped with some grated parmesan cheese. Or you may add a little heavy cream to the vegetables while warming up. It will create a creamy veggie sauce to spoon over the ravioli. YUM!
Stir them in with some cooked spaghetti and add in a little more olive oil, and some grated parmesan cheese to keep the dish moist and flavorful.
Make a quiche! Chop the remaining vegetables and toss them into a mixing bowl, whisk in 3 eggs, some cream, and grated cheese. Then pour the mixture into a pie crust and bake! Perfect for next-day lunch or dinner.
Healthy and flavorful, this butternut squash casserole will always turn out perfectly as an eye-catching side dish!
Everyone will be delighted after their first bite. Trust me, this dish will “wow” your family and friends.
In fact, every forkful is an explosion of flavors. Try it!
More Recipes for Butternut Squash and Peas…
- Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Cheese and Sage
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Healthy Italian Butternut Sweet Potato Casserole
- Peas and Mushrooms Recipe
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- 4 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 (12-ounces ) package of frozen artichoke hearts - rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 1 large onion ( about 1.5 cups)- chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- fresh chopped parsley, as garnish
- Preheat oven to "ROAST" at 375 degrees F (190.6C)
- In a large roasting pan, spray the bottom and sides with some cooking spray.
- Next, toss in butternut squash, peas, and frozen artichoke hearts, along with chopped onion and minced garlic.
- Scatter all the seasonings and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the vegetables.
- Grab two large spoons and toss everything until the mixture is well combined, and all the vegetables are well coated.
- Roast in the oven (on the middle or upper-middle rack) for the first 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, using a spatula to gently turn over the vegetables to roast them evenly.
- Then return them to the oven and continue to roast for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden brown and tender. Total roasting time: is about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Allow the roasting pan to rest for a few minutes.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your taste. If the vegetables seem a little dry, drizzle an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over them. Gently toss them to blend evenly. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with some chopped parsley over the entire dish and serve.
- Serves: 6 to 8
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 11.6gCarbohydrates: 21.2gFiber: 5.1gSugar: 5.9gProtein: 4g