Spinach Pesto Sauce. When you combine healthy greens like spinach and basil with fresh garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and 2 kinds of grated cheeses, you get an explosion of flavors with our Spinach Pesto Sauce. With its bright taste and earthy-sweet undertones, this spinach pesto sauce is perfect to use with various appetizers, sandwiches, or with your favorite pasta and risotto. The possibilities are endless!
Have you ever tried Spinach Pesto Sauce?
It’s a creamy pesto sauce loaded with spinach, basil, garlic, lemon juice, and grated pecorino and parmesan cheeses; and it’s all blended with extra virgin olive oil.
No nuts in this pesto sauce!
Spring and summer are the perfect time of year to make fresh pesto sauce.
This recipe is a simple process that requires No fuss and No mess … and always, no cooking what’s-so-ever.
How to Make Spinach Pesto Sauce?
To make spinach pesto is simply taking all the ingredients and blending them in a blender or food processor until its consistency is creamy and smooth.
You can easily adjust the seasonings to taste after you blended all the ingredients.
Then pour it into a mason jar or small sealed container to store in the refrigerator or freeze.
Simple. Easy. Delicious. Just like our fresh basil pesto sauce, which is made with similar ingredients.
An easy way to whip up something for dinner using pesto sauce, like this fettuccine I made for dinner the other night. It turned out FABULOUS!
Ingredients needed to make this simple sauce…
- fresh baby spinach
- fresh basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic cloves
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- grated pecorino cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- seasonings: sea salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
Tips to make the perfect pesto sauce…
- Always add the grated cheeses at the very end when blending, to avoid heating up and cooking the cheese.
- Avoid over blending the mixture, or it will start to cook the cheese.
- It’s best to use high-quality extra virgin olive oil for pesto sauce, it makes a huge difference in flavor.
- As always, taste the sauce, and adjust the seasonings to bring it to your liking, adding salt, pepper, and even additional cheese.
- While blending, if you notice the pesto is too thick, just drizzle in more olive oil.
- Also, add a dash of cayenne pepper to the mixture. Sometimes the smallest ingredient will make the flavors pop!
Ways to use Spinach Pesto Sauce?
Spinach pesto sauce is versatile with endless ways to using it…
1. Brush some onto your grilled shrimps, chicken, or even tofu for some extra flavor!
2. Toss some into your favorite pasta or risotto.
3. Drizzle some spinach pesto sauce over your favorite Caprese salad, or simply over-sliced tomatoes and mozzarella.
4. Add a drizzle of pesto to your pizza for extra greens and flavors.
5. Spoon some over your seared sea scallops or top salmon, then grill or bake it.
6. Also, spread some pesto into your sandwiches for more flavor.
7. Use it as a dipping sauce for crusty bread, on a charcuterie board.
How to keep Spinach Pesto Sauce Fresh?
- The best way to keep spinach pesto sauce fresh is to store it in a mason jar with a tight lid. You can keep it chilled for up to 10 days.
- As always, every time you use some of the pesto from the jar, you will need to pour a little extra virgin olive oil on top of it to keep the remaining pesto fresh. Otherwise, it will go bad.
- You can store pesto sauce in smaller containers and freeze it for up to 2 months.
- If frozen, and defrosted, you will need to keep any remaining sauce in the refrigerator. Always remember to drizzle a little olive oil on top to keep it fresh.
…Thanks for Pinning!
Spinach Pesto Sauce will make a terrific condiment for appetizers and sandwiches.
It’s so delicious as a sauce too, your family and friends will enjoy it with your favorite pasta or risotto.
Making pesto fresh is better than buying it in a jar that’s loaded with fillers and preservatives. Best of all, it’s a great way to sneak healthy greens into the meal.
Try this recipe. It won’t disappoint.
Additional Recipes with Pesto…
- Easy Cheese Ravioli with Pesto Sauce
- Easy Kale and Spinach Pesto Sauce
- Broccoli Tomato Pesto Pizza
- Seared Sea Scallops Over Pesto Sauce
Prep Time 7 minutes
Total Time 7 minutes
- 2.5 ounces of fresh basil (about 2 to 3 cups)
- 2 to 3 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 + 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra as needed
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pecorino cheese
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend on low speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Open the lid, taste the pesto and adjust the seasonings ( if needed) to your liking. If the pesto is too thick, you may drizzle a little more olive oil into the mixture.
- Then blend for a few seconds more.
- Transfer to a mason jar with a lid, or any sealed container.
- Store in the refrigerator. Stays fresh for up to 2 weeks.
- Yields: 1.5 cups
Yield:4 to 6 servings
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 18.3gCarbohydrates: 1.4gProtein: 2.1g