Seared Sea Scallops over Pesto Sauce. Sea scallops are pan seared easily with olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce and served over a layer of basil pesto sauce, adding velvety and savory flavors to the scallops. Super easy, delicious and ready in less than 15 minutes!
We love pesto sauce and adding a touch of pesto as a backdrop to the scallops is wonderful to the palate! I always keep fresh basil pesto sauce in the fridge and use it as a condiment from time to time.
I know it sounds crazy but the taste and flavors are amazing when these two worlds (Asian and Italian) are combined together.
If your planning a seafood dinner with friends, this sea scallop over pesto sauce makes a great appetizer to start with. It’s SO good, and it makes an elegant presentation every time, while it’s a no fuss recipe.
We like to buy our sea scallops at the local seafood store, or at Whole Foods.
Sea scallops are the larger ones in size and are more meaty to the bite. Be sure to dry the scallops thoroughly using paper towels before cooking them so they’ll brown nicely.
Simply place 2 sheets of paper towels on the bottom and one on top and lightly press down to absorb some of the water.
An alternative to the larger ones, you can use the small bay scallops. But only saute them for just a minute or so, they cook so quickly there’s no time for a brown crust to form, but the taste will still be delicious.
Seared Sea Scallops over Pesto Sauce are terrific to serve with your favorite rice, couscous or quinoa. This is an easy sea scallops recipe, a delicious choice for a light dinner on a hot summer night.
A light, acidic white wine would go perfect with this dish. An outstanding choice of wine to partner with the scallops would be a good Sauvignon Blanc. Together, it’s simply divine!
Thank you for Pinning!
Seared Sea Scallops over Pesto Sauce
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Seafood Appetizer
Serves: 3 to 4
Sea scallops are pan seared easily with olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce and served over a layer of basil pesto sauce, adding velvety and savory flavors to the scallops. Super easy, delicious and ready in less than 15 minutes!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¾ pound sea scallops, (if large, about 8 to 9 )
- 3 to 4 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. toasted sesame ginger seasonings ( I used Victoria Taylors Seasonings)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. homemade basil pesto sauce, heated through
- fresh cracked pepper (optional)
- In a non-stick skillet or frying pan, heat olive oil over moderately high heat until very hot.
- Season the scallops with toasted sesame ginger seasonings (or with salt and pepper).
- Add the scallops to the pan and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, until the bottoms get browned.
- Drizzle on top with soy sauce. Then add butter to the scallops.
- Turn and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice on top while cooking. Turn again to cook for about another minute or so. About 3 minutes per side.
- Arrange dinner plates with a tablespoon of warm basil pesto sauce in the center of each plate.
- Lay 3 or 4 scallops on each plate. Optional: Add fresh cracked pepper on top.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.
- Serves 3 to 4 ( with 3 or 4 scallops per serving)