Blackberries are in season and what better way to enjoy them in these scrumptious crumble bars! These Blackberry Lemon Crumble Bars are made with a buttery crumble on the bottom as well as on top, along with delightful fresh blackberries and lemon filling to give these blackberry lemon crumble bars their soft texture and ethereal taste.
If you love blackberries then this summer dessert is for you!
Deliciously sweet and tart, loaded with fresh blackberries in between a buttery crust along with a mild undertone flavor of lemon, will bring a smile to everyone who tries them! For sure.
Blackberry lemon crumble bars make the perfect dessert to bring to any potluck or barbecue this season.
Simply because you can serve them chilled or at room temperature. But they taste their best at room temperature.
Oh, and no need for a fork or spoon either when serving these bars – only a napkin will do!
Crumble bars recipes like this one are very simple to make and require only a few ingredients such as butter, sugar, baking powder, flour, salt, egg, one large lemon, and of course, fresh blackberries.
It uses the same buttery crumble mixture for both the crust and the topping, making this dessert a quick and easy 2-step recipe.
OK… then – let us get started!!
For this recipe, I bought two 6-ounce containers of blackberries and only used 1 and a half, which is about 2.5 cups.
I usually use my pastry cutter to make the crumbs, but if you don’t have one – no worries, you can use your hands to make the crumble mixture as I have done here.
How to make these easy Blackberry Lemon Crumble Bars!
1. First, slice blackberries in half or into thirds and toss them into a small bowl. This will allow their juices to come through and give these blackberry bars even more depth of flavor.
2. Then mix blackberries with lemon juice, some sugar, and cornstarch and set them aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, make the crumble mixture. Then pat about half the crumbs on the bottom of your baking dish.
4. Next, pour the blackberry mixture on top of the crust in an even layer. Then top with the remaining crumbs on top of the blackberries (photo is not shown).
5. Then bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until golden around the edges.
Everyone will enjoy these soft crumbly bars with its sweet and tart flavors of the blackberries and lemon in every bite!
They always turn out so good, you’ll want to make them all summer long!
Try serving these crumble bars with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on the side. Have a great day!
…Thanks for Pinning and Sharing!
A Cook’s Tips and Notes:
We recommend to put on an apron when cutting the blackberries, to prevent staining your clothing.
What if we don’t have cornstarch? You can substitute with flour instead, this will help thicken the berries mixture.
Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted? Yes, but omit the 4th ingredient (1/4 tsp. salt) from the recipe.
What if we don’t have vanilla extract? Don’t worry I have made these bars without it, and it’s fine.
Always allow this dessert to cool completely before cutting into bars. If too warm, they will fall apart.
We love crumble bars, don’t you? …then try these flavors!
and our Raspberry Lemon Crumble Bars ~ they too are scrumptiously delicious!
And finally, here is one more recipe for blackberries for you to try!
Our Blackberry Chocolate Chip Gelato! ~ loaded with blackberry flavor and bits of chocolate – yum!
ENJOY!! and thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
For the Crust and Crumbs Topping:
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Zest of one large lemon ( at least 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 cup (8 -ounces or 225 grams or 2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg- lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Blackberry Filling:
- Juice of 1 large lemon ( about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 2 tsp.cornstarch
- 2.5 cups ( about 8 or 9-ounces) fresh blackberries - cut in halves or thirds
- Preheat OVEN to 375 F. degrees. Grease or spray with cooking spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
For the Filling:
- Toss together in a small mixing bowl, blackberries, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch until well combined. Set aside for a few minutes. (You can also mash some of the blackberries in the bowl using a fork to lightly mash them).
For the Crumble Mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, baking powder, flour, salt, and lemon zest.
- Lightly beat the egg with the vanilla extract in a small bowl. Then cut the butter and egg mixture into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter. OR you can use your hands to crumble the flour mixture, breaking apart any large crumbs into smaller pieces. The dough will be very crumbly.
- Pat only 1/2 the crumble mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Next, pour the blackberry mixture on top of the crust in an even layer. And spoon any remaining juices in the bowl on top as well.
- Then sprinkle with the remaining crumbs over the blackberries.
- BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top and sides are golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.
- Yields: 15 10 18 bars