Strawberry Pineapple Crumble Bars are loaded with fresh strawberries and pineapple tidbits in the center and baked with a buttery mixture that doubles as the crust and as the topping, making these scrumptious bars so easy to make. These are delightfully sweet and melt-in-your-mouth with every bite.
It’s no secret, we love to make crumble bars! This past summer was a year of making some of our favorite desserts and crumble bars were at the top of our list.
Some of our faves are Lemon Blueberry Crumble Bars and Blackberry Lemon Crumble Bars, just to name a few.
What better way to celebrate a new month and a new beginning with these delicious crumble bars to serve with your morning coffee.
Valentine’s Day is in 2 weeks. You may be thinking of some delicious treats to make for your loved ones. I know I am. And this recipe is perfect!
Delicious tasting with fresh flavors, these Strawberry Pineapple Crumble Bars are perfect!
These bars are moist, buttery soft, not-too-sweet, and perfect to make our mornings bright and happy!
You can serve them chilled or at room temperature. But they taste their best at room temperature.
Best of all, no need for a fork or spoon either when serving these bars – only a napkin will do!
They freeze beautifully too!
This recipe is a 2-step process. First, make the filling, then make the buttery crumble.
For this recipe, I used a basket of fresh strawberries and diced about 8 strawberries, and added in about 1 cup of pineapple tidbits and some of its juice (full recipe card below).
I usually use my pastry cutter to make the crumbs, but if you don’t have one – no worries, you can use your hands to make the crumble mixture as I did here.
How to make these easy Strawberry Pineapple Crumble Bars!
1. First, dice about 6 to 8 strawberries and toss them into a small bowl. This will allow their juices to come through and give these strawberry crumble bars even more depth of flavor.
2. Then mix strawberries with one cup of pineapple tidbits, some pineapple juice, lemon zest, sugar, cornstarch, and strawberry preserves, and set it aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, make the crumble mixture. Then pat about half the crumbs on the bottom of your baking dish.
4. Next, pour the strawberry-pineapple mixture on top of the crust in an even layer. Then top with the remaining crumbs on top (photos shown below).
5. Then bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until golden around the edges.
Questions, Tips, and Notes:
What if we don’t have cornstarch? You can substitute with flour instead, this will help thicken the filling mixture.
Can I use “unsalted” butter instead of salted butter? Yes, but add in 1/4 tsp. salt into the crumble mixture.
What if we don’t have vanilla extract? Don’t worry I have made these bars without it, and it’s fine.
You won’t need to use all the pineapple tidbits in the can. Reserve the remaining for another recipe or enjoy it alone.
Always allow this dessert to cool completely before cutting into bars. If too warm, they will fall apart.
Store in a plastic container. They will freeze for up to 2 weeks. Then allow the bars to defrost at room temperature.
Ideal bars to serve for breakfast, brunch, or as a dessert.
Everyone will enjoy these soft crumbly bars with their sweet flavors of both strawberry and pineapple in every bite!
They always turn out so good, you’ll want to make them all year long.
More Delicious Treats to Try!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 28 minutes
Total Time 43 minutes
For the Crust and Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (225 grams, or 2 sticks) cold salted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg- lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Strawberry & Pineapple Filling:
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) of pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 heaping cup (227 grams), about 6 to 8 fresh strawberries - diced
- 1 cup ( 227grams) pineapple tidbits - drained- mashed with a fork
- 1/2 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. strawberry preserves or jam
- Preheat OVEN to Bake at 375 degrees (190 C). Lightly spray with cooking spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex baking dish. Set it aside.
MAKE the Strawberry Pineapple Filling:
- Toss together in a small mixing bowl, strawberries, pineapple tidbits, pineapple juice, sugar, strawberry preserves, lemon zest, and cornstarch until well combined. Set aside for a few minutes. (You can also mash some of the strawberries and pineapple in the bowl using a fork to lightly mash them).
For the Crumble Mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, baking powder, and flour.
- Lightly beat the egg with the vanilla extract in a small bowl. Then cut the butter and egg mixture into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter. OR you can use your hands to crumble the flour mixture, breaking apart any large crumbs into smaller pieces. The dough will be very crumbly.
- Pat a little more than 1/2 of the crumble mixture into the prepared baking dish. Reserve the remaining crumble mixture for the topping.
- Next, pour the strawberry and pineapple mixture on top of the crust in an even layer. And spoon any remaining juices in the bowl on top as well.
- Then sprinkle on top with the remaining buttery crumb mixture.
- BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top and sides are golden browns. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.
- Yields: 15 to 18 bars
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 10.7gCarbohydrates: 32.8gProtein: 2.7g