EASY Low-Fat Caffe Lattes
Jumpstart your Monday morning with Easy Low-Fat Caffe Lattes that you can make at home. Since we are staying home for a few more weeks, why not enjoy your favorite caffe latte without the barista! No special espresso machine is required. Just a few easy tips for making your favorite latte right in your own kitchen.
When you have family members that love their caffé lattes, you know how expensive it can get, especially when they are having them weekly.
It definitely adds up to be a very expensive treat each week.
When we were growing up, our mom would make us lattes using hot espresso and added milk. During the hot summer months, she would turn them into “cold” coffee drinks, pouring them over ice!
Sound familiar? Yep! As kids, we only knew them as “caffé freddo con latte,” which means cold espresso with milk.
Today, they are commonly known as iced caffe lattes. Who knew back then that it would turn out to be a multi-million dollar idea for all these coffee franchisers years later? …Right?
So making easy low-fat caffe lattes at home is now my simple solution to my girl’s weekly trips to the drive-thru coffee shops.
Not to mention, the flavored lattes at popular coffee shops are loaded with corn syrups, preservatives and tons of added sugars.
Who needs all that extra calories and fat?
This is my way of a cost-effective solution to a costly habit and, avoid all of those chemicals my kids were drinking.
Plus, this recipe is so simple to follow, your entire family will enjoy them too!
What do we need to make Caffe Lattes?
You only need a pot of brewed espresso and a blender.
Then, you can make it with any milk of your choice. Some people are lactose intolerant and prefer lactose free choices of milk.
My girls and I prefer fat-free or 1 % milk, but the new trend is oat milk! I’ve tried it and it’s quite delicious!
Plus you can add some chocolate syrup, and some sugar or stevia, if you like it sweet.
Go ahead and add a dash of cinnamon or cocoa powder on top, whatever your heart desires!
Ingredients Needed for Low-Fat Caffe Lattes:
1 shot of brewed espresso, or more
1 cup of low-fat milk of your choice
1/2 Tbsp. chocolate syrup
optional: sugar or stevia
Today, we can easily brew espresso with a drip coffee maker, or with a small espresso pot on stove-top.
Tips and Notes to Make Caffe Lattes at Home…
1. How To Froth the Milk? Using a blender is the quickest way to make your favorite lattes (and the cheapest) making them frothy – just like they do in coffee shops.
2. Nowadays, espresso coffee can be made in any standard drip coffee maker. No need to buy a fancy espresso machine.
3. You can easily find a variety of espresso pods sold in stores or on amazon for the Keurig coffee maker.
4. Illy, Cafe Bustelo, and Lavazza are good brands to make espresso coffee.
5. Or you can buy a small stainless steel espresso pot (for 4 cups), see my notes below.
How to Brew Espresso in an Espresso Coffee Pot on Stovetop?
1. Disassemble the espresso coffee pot, it has 3 parts. Remove the filter basket from the bottom and fill the bottom with cold water.
2. Fill enough water just below the steam valve) (its the round brass or chrome knob on the side).
3. Place the filter basket back, and fill with ground espresso coffee. The coffee should be leveled.
4. Place the top of the pot and screw it tightly.
5. Place the pot onto stove-top, and heat on medium-high heat. Coffee will start to bubble, making noise brewing the coffee to the top.
6. When the noise dies down, peek open the lid to see if the coffee has stopped spilling out from the center spout. When it does, turn off the heat and remove it from the stove.
7. Pour a small amount of espresso into a coffee mug. Add milk and some chocolate syrup if you like. Stir and serve.
8. To serve chilled, allow coffee to cool. Transfer espresso to a carafe, add milk and chocolate syrup to your liking. Refrigerate for a few hours. Serve in tall glasses or travel mugs packed with ice.
Make them hot or ice-cold lattes.
Either way, just relax and enjoy your caffé latte in the mornings or anytime!
… Thanks for Pinning!
Also, check out some other favorites, and you don’t have to be “in-season” to make these either!
Yield: 1 serving
EASY Low-Fat Caffe Lattes
Jumpstart your mornings with an Easy Low-Fat Caffe Lattes that you can make at home. So why not enjoy your favorite cafe latte without the barista! No special espresso machine is required. Just a few easy tips for making your favorite latte right in your own kitchen.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Total Time 8 minutes
- 1 shot of brewed espresso, or more
- 1 cup fat-free milk, or 1 % milk or Almond milk
- 1/2 Tbsp. chocolate syrup
- optional: sugar or stevia
- In a small pot, heat milk enough just before it comes to a low boil.
- Transfer the hot milk to your blender. Close the lid, and hold a kitchen towel on top of the blender and hold it down, before you press the lowest speed. Blend on low speed for about 1 to 2 minutes to froth.
- Transfer to a coffee mug.
- Add a shot of brewed espresso (about 2 tablespoons) and chocolate syrup.
- Add more or less coffee and chocolate syrup to your liking. (I omit the sugar because for me the chocolate syrup adds enough sweetness to the caffé' latte.) Stir and serve.
- Serves 1
I have one or two half caff cappuccinos almost every morning 🙂 I need to try adding some chocolate syrup! Yummy!
I think you are going to love your new flavor! 🙂 Anyway, my girls love it with a little chocolate syrup in it and hope you will too!