How To Grill Zucchini Perfectly? Zucchini is the perfect vegetable to grill outside on your barbecue, whether it’s a gas grill or a charcoal grill. Following our easy steps, it is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to cook zucchini.
Hi Everyone… it’s the grilling season!
And what better way to grill up some zucchini, and serve it with some grilled meats or grilled seafood, like our grilled whole branzino.
With a few easy steps, we’ll show you how to grill zucchini perfectly!
If you already follow 2SR, then you’ll know we enjoy whipping up recipes for zucchini all year long.
In fact, some of our favorites are lemon zucchini poppy seed muffins, best zucchini bread, and even our cream of zucchini soup without cream, just to name a few. Be sure to check these recipes out.
Before we begin, let’s discuss what is a zucchini?
Well, it is a type of squash that’s generally firm and dark green in color. Typically, it is a summer vegetable; however, you can find it readily available all year long.
This vegetable comes in various sizes and lengths, and it grows an average from 7-inches to longer and larger.
What you’ll need to grill zucchini:
- 6 or more medium-size zucchini
- extra-virgin olive oil
- black pepper and salt
- garlic powder
Tools I prefer to use:
How To Grill Zucchini Perfectly:
1. First, preheat your outside grill to medium heat.
2. Next, slice zucchini lengthwise into thick strips, about 1/4-inch thick, with a sharp knife or a vegetable slicer. Each zucchini should give you about 5 to 6 slices, depending on how thin you slice, and how thick each zucchini is.
3. In a large baking pan, sprinkle generously with garlic powder and black pepper. Then drizzle extra virgin olive oil over them.
4. Then toss, using your hands to blend them evenly. No salt is needed. But if you prefer, you can add a generous pinch of salt.
5. Next, use kitchen tongs to place the zucchini onto the grill, horizontally. Cover or close the lid and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes. Flip the zucchini over and close the lid again. Continue to cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
6. When zucchini is tender, remove it from heat and transfer it to a serving platter. Lightly drizzle over them with additional extra virgin olive oil. Garnish with fresh basil on the side, or on top. Then serve.
Cook’s Notes and Tips for Success!
- Keep in mind, it’s best to slice them into thick strips, at least 1/2-inch thick.
- You can use a sharp knife or you can slice with a vegetable mandoline to help slice evenly.
- If you happen to slice a few too thin, don’t use them. They will burn while grilling and even slip through the grill. But, no worries! It’s best to set those apart and reserve them for another recipe.
- Always place the zucchini strips horizontally on your grill, this prevents any of them from falling through the grill.
- If you buy large zucchini, you don’t need as many for a family of four.
- Optional: when serving you can add a squeeze of lemon juice over them, or serve with some lemon wedges on the side.
- If you love zucchini and have planted a garden with zucchini, you may enjoy these 10 Easy Garden Zucchini Recipes, for you to try.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS…
1. How many zucchini do we need?
If you have a family of four, 6 medium-size should be enough. We like to consider at least one zucchini per person and then add a few extras on top. They will never go to waste, even if you have leftovers.
2. How many calories are in one zucchini?
Zucchini is loaded with water. In fact, it’s 90 % water-based vegetable. One large zucchini (about 323 grams) contains 55 calories. Plus, it also contains 3.9 grams of protein, 1.0 grams of fat, 10.1g of carbohydrates, 3.2g of fiber, and 8.1g of sugar. It also contains lots of minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and plenty of potassium.
3. Can we grill other vegetables the same way?
Yes, indeed! We know from experience, we can grill sliced eggplants and large asparagus the same way.
Delicious, tender, and flavorful with a little crunch, grilled zucchini will make a terrific side dish to serve with family and friends all summer long!
What can we serve with grilled zucchini?
- London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection!
- Authentic Tzatziki Sauce
- Grilled Ginger-Lime Chicken Kabobs
- Easy Italian Macaroni Salad
- Best Grilled Shimp and Scallop Kabobs
- Lamb Chops Grilled to Perfection
- Grilled Filet Mignon Wrapped in Bacon
… Thanks for PINNING!
How to Grill Zucchini Perfectly is an easy and healthy way to eat it!
Serve it with your favorite foods.
All you need is a few minutes to slice them, then toss them with olive oil, seasonings and place them on a grill. Grill for a few minutes on each side and serve!
They turn out perfect, always! Try this recipe.
- 6 medium-size zucchini
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp, garlic powder
- pinch of salt, if needed
- fresh basil, as a garnish
- First, preheat your outside grill to medium heat.
- Next, slice zucchini lengthwise into thick strips, about 1/4-inch thick, with a sharp knife or a vegetable slicer.
- In a large baking pan, sprinkle generously with garlic powder and black pepper. Then drizzle extra virgin olive oil over them, start with 2 tablespoons.
- Then toss, using with your hands to blend them evenly. No salt is needed. But if you prefer, you can add a generous pinch of salt. Also, if you need a little more olive oil to coat them, then drizzle an additional 1 tablespoon and toss again to coat evenly.
- Next, use kitchen tongs to place the zucchini onto the grill, horizontally. Cover or close the lid and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes. Flip the zucchini over and close the lid again. Continue to cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- When zucchini is tender, remove from heat and transfer to a serving platter. Lightly drizzle over them with additional extra virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon. Garnish with fresh basil on the side or top. Then serve.
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:4 to 5 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 2gCarbohydrates: 10.1gFiber: 3.2gSugar: 8.1gProtein: 3.9g