Best Grilled Jumbo Shrimp. Learning how to grill jumbo shrimp on skewers with an outside grill may be easier than you might think! Grilling jumbo shrimps by this method allows their natural flavors to mingle along with hints of lemon and olive oil. The resulting taste is amazingly delicious!
From Spain to Turkey, all Mediterranean peoples grill their jumbo shrimp using this basic method, thereby creating the BEST tasting grilled jumbo shrimp ever!
We enjoy grilling outdoors all season long. My sister and I learned some of our grilling skills from our loving father, who enjoyed grilling outdoors for his family.
Liz still enjoys making her best-grilled shrimp and scallop kabobs, along with her grilled zucchini to go with it. And sometimes, I prefer grilling indoors, like my grilled balsamic chicken salad.
Nowadays, grilling outdoors happens to be one of my husband’s passions. His favorites are meats and fresh seafood like London broil steak grilled to perfection, and grilled whole branzino.
But this recipe for grilled jumbo shrimp happens to be one of my husband’s best!
Best Grilled Jumbo Shrimp…
- The best-grilled jumbo shrimp starts with cleaning the shrimp properly.
- Easy to grill and they are grilled perfectly! With a few tips to adjust your outside grill to cook these shrimps to perfection!
- Only need 2 ingredients to make them delicious tasting.
- Their fresh flavors explode with every bite.
- They’re grilled on a raised level, not directly sitting on the grill, to avoid overcooking and charring.
- It’s the Mediterranean way of cooking these shrimps.
How to Clean Jumbo Shrimp?
1. First, rinse the shrimp under cold water for a few minutes.
2. Use a pairing knife to help pull out the vein in the spine of each shrimp and discard them. Leave skins on. They will protect the shrimp from burning and drying out.
3. Next, snip off only their tails and clip or pull the little fins off from each shrimp. Then submerge the shrimp in a bowl filled with cold water to give them a final rinse. Drain in a colander.
4. Once the shrimp has been cleaned and drained they are ready to grill.
5. Using good quality metal skewers to skew the shrimps one next to each other.
Here’s a GREAT TIP!
If you have a Costco nearby, you’re in luck! You can find and purchase these jumbo shrimps at Costco, as I did today.
The best thing – they come already deveined and with their skins left on. Perfect for this recipe! Fresh fish markets might also offer shelled shrimp already deveined.
NEXT, How to prepare your grill to cook jumbo shrimp?
Whether you use a gas grill or charcoal grill, this is the “best method” to grill these jumbo shrimps.
To prepare the grill, you will need two bricks and a fire-proof grilling rack to place over the bricks (as shown in our photos).
- First, place 2 bricks onto your outside grill, and place a safe rack onto the two bricks. This elevates the shrimp while cooking in order to prevent the shrimp from burning.
- Next, turn on the heat to “HIGH” – close the lid and preheat your grill for a few minutes.
Ingredients Needed for Best Grilled Jumbo Shrimp…
For best grilled jumbo shrimp recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 to 3 pounds of jumbo shrimp – shells left on, deveined and rinsed
- extra virgin olive oil – to drizzle over the shrimps
- 3 to 4 lemons – cut in halves
How to Grill Jumbo Shrimp? (*full recipe card below)
1. Using good quality metal skewers to skew the shrimps one next to each other.
Quick Note: If you plan to use wooden skewers, you will need to soak them in water for at least 15 to 30 minutes. But we prefer metal skewers. Wooden skewers tend to burn and fall apart while grilling.
2. Place the skewers onto the elevated grill. Close with the cover of the grill, for 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Then open the lid, use kitchen tongs to turn over each skewer. Close the lid for another 7 to 10 minutes.
4. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice over the skewers while grilling.
5. Turn them over one last time for additional 3 minutes and then turn again for additional 3 minutes. Then remove from the grill. The shells should have a bright red-orange color.
6. Squeeze an additional lemon, and a light drizzle of olive oil over them before serving.
Yields: 5 to 6 servings
Then at the table with each serving, remove shrimps from the skewers, peel off their skins, and add additional lemon over shrimp and enjoy!
Extra Items we used to grill these shrimps…
- 12-inch metal skewers
- grill basket/ or topper
- 2 mason bricks (if you don’t have any, you can get them at Lowes or Home Depot, two bricks cost about $1 dollar each.)
What to serve with grilled jumbo shrimp?
Serve grilled jumbo shrimp over a bed of steamed rice, or couscous and a green salad on the side, and dinner is done. Also, try our Authentic Tzatziki Sauce to drizzle over the shrimp – it’s divine!
Finally, additional Delicious Grilling Recipes!
- Grilled Flank Steak with Olive Oil & Garlic
- How to Grill Zucchini Perfectly
- Perfectly Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Whole Branzino
- Lamb Chops Grilled to Perfection!
- Grilled Ginger-Lime Chicken Kabobs
- Best Grilled Shrimp and Scallop Kabobs
- Grilled Swordfish Kabobs
- London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection
- 2 to 3 pounds of jumbo shrimp (about 17 to 19 shrimp) - deveined and rinsed
- extra virgin olive oil - to drizzle over the shrimps
- 3 to 4 lemons cut in halves
How To Prepare Your Outside Grill:
- You will need two bricks and a fire-proof rack to place over the bricks.
- First, place 2 bricks onto your outside grill, and place a safe rack onto the two bricks. This elevates the shrimp while cooking to prevent the shrimp from burning.
- Next, turn on the heat to "HIGH" - close the lid of the grill to heat for a few minutes.
Grilling Jumbo Shrimp:
- Using good quality metal skewers to skew the shrimps one next to each other.
- Quick Note: If you plan to use wooden skewers, you will need to soak them in water for at least 15 to 30 minutes. But we prefer metal skewers. Wooden skewers tend to burn and fall apart while grilling.
- Place the skewers onto the elevated grill. Close with the cover of the grill, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Then open the lid, and use kitchen tongs to turn over each skewer. Close the lid for another 7 to 10 minutes.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice over the skewers while grilling.
- Turn them over one last time for additional 3 minutes and then turn them again for additional 3 minutes. Then remove it from the grill. The shells should have a bright red-orange color.
- Squeeze an additional lemon, and a drizzle of olive oil over them before serving. Then at the table with each serving, anyone can add additional lemon over shrimp once they remove their shells.
- Yields: 5 to 6 servings
Depending on the size of your outdoor grill, the time to cook the shrimp will vary. You will know when the shrimp is fully cooked when the shells have an orange-reddish color and the meat is a completely "snow-white" color.
Yield:5 to 6 servings
Serving Size:3 to 4 jumbo shrimps
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Protein: 18g
…Thanks for Pinning!
That’s it friends! Any questions? Ask away!
If you try this recipe for Grilled Jumbo Shrimp, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating. We’d love to hear from you. Sharing your insights and experiences helps everyone who reads them, and helps us too!
Don’t forget to enter your email in our weekly ‘ Weekly Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get new recipes FREE every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
Happy and Healthy Grilling 🙂
xo Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!