String Beans and Chickpeas Salad is a super easy and refreshing salad that will compliment any meat, fish or poultry. String beans are lightly steamed to a tender bite, then they are tossed with chickpeas and chopped red onion and marinated with a sweet-tangy vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. This is an easy “make ahead” salad that is delicious tasting and healthy too!
String beans (or green beans) along with chickpeas actually makes a wonderful combination of flavors in any salad! Even though chickpeas are not a favorite of mine, they work very nicely in this simple salad. The green beans offer a light crunch with each bite, along with chickpeas. And, as it marinates in a sweet apple-cider vinaigrette, it definitely brings out their flavors.
If you allow this String Bean and Chickpeas Salad to marinate for a few hours before serving, the string beans will absorb some of the vinaigrette, making them very juicy and tangy and even more delicious!
You’ll be amazed how fresh tasting and relatively easy this salad really is. I love how it brings color and texture to the table! It’s perfect to add as an additional side dish for a Mother’s Day Brunch!
Green beans and chickpeas provide an excellent source of folate, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. As a extra bonus, chickpeas like other legumes are known for their high protein, as well as providing iron, calcium and vitamin K. All of which are important for good health.
We hope you’ll try this salad. It’s one you can make ahead and serve it chilled. Even the leftovers are wonderful too! Just add some leftover to any leafy green salad the next day, and you’ll have an effortless new side dish to enjoy!
Have a great day!
String Beans and Chickpeas Salad
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Easy Healthy Salads / side dish
Serves: 6 to 8
String Beans and Chickpeas Salad is a super easy and refreshing salad that will compliment any meat, fish or poultry. String beans are lightly steamed to a tender bite, then they are tossed with chickpeas and chopped red onion and marinated with a sweet-tangy vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. This is an easy "make ahead" salad that is delicious tasting and healthy too!
- 2 pounds fresh String Beans
- 15 -ounce can chickpeas - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Break off ends from green beans and discard them; then break beans in half and toss them into a medium size bowl.
- Use a medium size pot, filled with 1 to 2 inches of water, add the green beans and cover with a lid. Boil green beans for 3 to 4 minutes - until they turn to a bright green color.
- Drain water, return the beans to stove and again cover with the lid. Keep beans in pot to steam for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the beans have a nice tender bite or crunch to them.
- Transfer green beans to a large mixing bowl, add red onion and chickpeas. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt, fresh cracked pepper and pinch of cayenne pepper. Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Pour the vinaigrette into the bean and chickpea salad and toss until well blended. Here is where you may add in more olive oil and apple cider vinegar to your preference.
- Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and serve!
- Serves 6 to 8