Love eating string beans? Try our String Beans and Chickpeas Salad! It is a refreshing salad that makes a great side and will complement anything. String beans are lightly steamed to a tender bite, then they are tossed with chickpeas, chopped red onion, and a sweet-tangy apple-cider vinaigrette.
Set aside to marinate, makes this our favorite make-ahead salad that is delicious tasting and healthy too!
String beans (or green beans) along with chickpeas actually make a wonderful combination of flavors in any salad! Even though chickpeas are not a favorite of mine, they work very nicely in this simple salad.
The green beans offer a light crunch with each bite, along with chickpeas. And, as it marinates in a sweet apple-cider vinaigrette, it definitely brings out their flavors.
The secret to its delicious flavors…
If you allow this string bean and chickpeas salad to marinate for a few hours before serving, the string beans will absorb some of the vinaigrette, making them very juicy and tangy and even more delicious.
You’ll be amazed how fresh tasting and relatively easy this salad really is. We love how it brings color and texture to the table!
It’s perfect to add as an additional side dish to any barbecue, potluck, lunch, or brunch!
Why we LOVE Strings Beans and Chickpeas Salad…
easy to make
can make ahead
both the beans and chickpeas are loaded with vitamins and minerals.
excellent source of folate and dietary fiber.
chickpeas like other legumes are known for their high protein and provide iron, calcium, and vitamin K.
perfect for vegans and vegetarian
great salad, and good for your health
We hope you’ll try this salad. It’s one you can make ahead and serve it chilled. Even the leftovers are wonderful too!
Just add some leftovers to any leafy green salad the next day, and you’ll have an effortless new side dish to enjoy!
Have a great day! 🙂
… Thanks for Pinning!
More Delicious & Healthy Salad Recipes…
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
- 2 pounds fresh String Beans
- 15-ounces can chickpeas - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Break off ends from green beans and discard them; then break beans in half and toss them into a medium-size bowl.
- Use a medium-size pot, filled with 1 to 2 inches of water, add the green beans and cover with a lid. Boil green beans for 3 to 4 minutes - until they turn to a bright green color.
- Drain water, return the beans to the stove, and again cover with the lid. Keep beans in the pot to steam for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the beans have a nice tender bite or crunch to them.
- Transfer green beans to a large mixing bowl, add red onion and chickpeas. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Pour the vinaigrette into the bean and chickpea salad and toss until well blended. Here is where you may add more olive oil and apple cider vinegar to your preference.
- Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and serve! Serve chilled
- Serves 6 to 8