String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew ~ are slowly simmered with onions, fresh basil and olive oil until they are softened and tender. This dish makes a wonderful and tasty vegetable stew in about 30 minutes. A simple Italian stew like this one becomes the ultimate vegetarians delight!
As kids, our mother always made our Dad’s favorite stew. So I decided to make it the other day for my husband and to make sure this recipe is worthy of making! Well, I have to tell you this simple vegetable “stew” was so good, my husband couldn’t stop eating it.
String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew is very flavorful and easy to make! You only need a little time to prep with a few fresh vegetables, which includes fresh green beans, fresh ripe tomatoes, potatoes, onions and fresh basil. The key to its wonderful flavors, is in the fresh basil -so don’t skip it.
This vegetable stew is perfect for fall! Another great way to use your green beans and fresh basil from your garden ( if you still have any). No need to simmer for hours, only 20 to 30 minutes and it’s done! You can serve this wonderful stew on meatless Mondays or any day of the week.
Great for those days when you feel like having a light meal for lunch or dinner. Serve hot or warm with a green salad on the side and you have a delicious, healthy and low-calorie meal!
Also try our Dad’s Favorite Vegetarian Italian Stew, it’s loaded with Swiss Chard!
I know this photo is old, but I will be updating them soon! Thanks for your patience!
String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Dinner / Lunch
Serves: 4 to 6
String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew ~ are slowly simmered with onions, fresh basil and olive oil until they are softened and tender. This dish makes a wonderful and tasty vegetable stew. A simple Italian stew like this one becomes the ultimate vegetarians dream!
- 1+1/2 pounds fresh thin string beans -cut in halves
- 5 to 6 small golden potatoes- peeled, cut in quarters
- 1 large onion - chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes - cut in quarters
- 6 leaves of fresh basil
- dash of cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup water or vegetable broth, and extra if needed
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- In a medium size pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and add the cayenne pepper and fresh basil. Stir until the tomatoes soften, about 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, dried oregano and salt. Then add the green beans on top of the potatoes and pour in ½ cup of water or vegetable broth.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are softened, and green beans are tender. Take a peek in to the pot to see if there is enough liquid on the bottom. If you need to, you can add additional water to the stew, add only increments of ¼ cup when needed.
- When potatoes and green beans are tender, turn off heat. Give the stew a good stir and taste. Then season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Serves 4 to 6
Hey friends, are you following us on Social Media?
Have a great day!
xo Anna and Liz