Best Butter Beans Recipe is one that simmers butter beans for 15 minutes with caramelized onions, celery, bacon, and vegetable broth, giving them the soft, buttery texture that’s most flavorful. They are the BEST Butter Beans we ever had!
Eat them alone or serve them as a side dish to compliment any meat or poultry. These butter beans are so good, they practically melt in your mouth!
My family loves butter beans and when I came across the fresh ones at the market, I had to buy them. These are smaller butter beans, the size of your thumbnail.
They cook up very easily.
Besides, you can use frozen butter beans or even the canned ones with this recipe if you can’t find them fresh. And, you will only need to give them a good rinse before cooking them.
I served these butter beans as a side dish with our London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection, and they were perfect. These butter beans will make a lovely side to accompany any meat or fish entree.
How to Make the BEST Butter Beans Recipe…
For this recipe, I prefer using Vidalia onions and celery, along with some lean bacon for a hint of smoky flavor.
First, I slowly caramelized the Vidalia onions along with celery, creating a very sweet flavor, almost like sugar. This is the key to flavoring the beans, so you really don’t need to add any sugar.
Next, you will need to simmer the beans with bacon, and vegetable broth until the broth is mostly absorbed. The beans will be soft and tender, almost melting in your mouth. Then serve.
Lean bacon along with the caramelized onions, celery, and crushed red pepper flakes give these butter beans their wonderful depth of flavor.
They’re rich and savory with every bite. So good, they practically melt in your mouth deliciously!
If you love butter beans, then try our Easy Butter Bean Salad. It too is super easy to make and flavorful.
What to serve with these Butter Beans…
These butter beans are so good, you can serve them with any of these dishes.
Try them! Discover this little-known treat as the Best Butter Beans Recipe.
…Don’t forget to PIN it!
More Delicious Veggie Sides…
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 16-ounce fresh butter beans - rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion - thinly chopped
- 1 stalk of celery - thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 slices of lean bacon - trim off excess fat and dice into small pieces
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Add in the chopped onions, and cook the onions until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and bacon to the onions and reduce heat to simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes more, until the onions and celery caramelize, or turn golden brown.
- Add in the Butter Beans and crushed red pepper. Stir the butter beans and saute the beans for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and cover with a lid.
- Simmer on low heat the butter beans for about 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat. Taste, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Yield:4 to 6 servings
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 9.3gCarbohydrates: 17.8gFiber: 4.3gSugar: 2.2gProtein: 5.9g